Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are moderators taking a harder line----

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by brianangus, May 24, 2009.

1. No, not trying to start flame wars, nor to question the decisions of moderators. It seems to me that more threads are being locked or closed, or outright deleted now than a year or two ago. I see that the fellow who was hotrodding a Volkswagen has had his thread locked. I started a thread about adding disc brakes to my roadster pickup a week or two ago and it was locked, then a second thread was deleted.
    I realize that the mantra of this forum is "Traditional--Traditional--Traditional". I also realize that Volkswagens (even though they have been around since 1957 or so) are not traditional "hotrods". Disc brakes???---Well, they have been around for 50 years.
    I think that the majority of rodders use a number of "Traditional" approaches when building their rods, but many employ some elements that are not "traditional".
    Some of the purists who hang out on this forum decry anything newer than 1956 being used on rods.
    What exactly is it thats causing the threads to be closed?--The content of the posts, or the fighting and namecalling that pops up as soon as someone takes an approach that others see as non traditional.
    In my opinion, the HAMB is and has been the best hot-rod oriented site available on the internet. It would be a terrible shame if all the rodders who have cars that in some way offend the "Traditional Police" are forced to become "lurkers" only, and not add anything to this forum.
    Lets hear some opinions from the other regular posters on the HAMB.
    Maybe I'm just paranoid!!!

2. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

The VolksWagen thread was from 2006, I think people are just loosing sight a tad of what this place is about and maybe some of the newer members aren't reading the rules before they post a thread?No you're not paranoid, just voicing your thoughts which is a GOOD thing!Hope I'm regular to give you my thoughts on the matter!:D

Nick.

3. I think the mods do a good job. They will never be able to please everyone. Some threads start off on topic and with good intentions, but veer off course due to some drama being injected. They end up locked or deleted. Shit happens.

4. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Could be worse, we could have a specific moderator like on the jockey journal that will delete your thread about a paint color just because you used a japanese headlight bucket as a test piece. :rollseyes:

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Can't be easy keeping the same direction while growing at a record pace. I don't envy the job, but I certainly respect and appreciate it!

6. As far as "traditional" goes,I think if you are doing something dangerous then tradition be damned.A lot of these dangerous "RR"(cant say the name) style rods may be traditional but they are dangerous.I personally don't want to drive a car without disc brakes.I grew up bending the steering wheel by pulling on it hard while standing on the brakes trying to stop a drum brake car.I hate drum brakes.So I think brake threads should not be locked or deleted.If a thread doesn't get too far off topic then I see no reason to delete it.I see a lot of stupid threads go on and on about crap that has nothing to do with rods and customs.Some guys think this is twitter and stay on here all day telling everyone about how his day is going.My 2 cents.........

7. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

8. skyrodder

skyrodder

what he said

9. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

dont you get flamed with my response then..... here you go ! !

I recently attended a show where best " HOT ROD " went to a red flamed street rod. The car was dripping with billit ! ! musta ran the guy 80k plus to build. he trailered it in from 20 miles away, thing ran like shit as he was loading it back on trailer.

not like there werent any traditional hot rods at this event, there were several real hot rods present. Just goes to show you, people just dont get it ! ! ! this hobby has become soooooooooo deluted nobody knows what time it is anymore.

the moderators are simply trying to keep it true. I wouldnt want that job because, like taking a flying "FUCK" at a rolling doughnut ! !

peace out

10. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

I think it's the drama more than content. I'ts the name calling.
    I had to agree with z-man, about the bug. It was interesting for the quality and originality, but I would not call it traditional. It's like TV though. If you don't like what you are watching just change the channel.

11. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I recently had a response to a thread deleted and didn't know or question why.
    All that aside I think they do a good job of keeping track with all that happens here and manage to weed out the crap that doesn't belong or shouldn't be here

12. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I see Ryan and Metalshapes names at the bottom of the page and recently recieved a reply from "JalopyJournal" (nonreturnable) after I posed a question.
    They're doing a great,free service for me.
    Thank you!

I just don't understand why our fellow members enter non hot rod posts on here when there are sister forums or gasp,other places that can accommodate them?
    Why do we come here in the first place?
    Apples and oranges seperation.
    Just my opinion...

13. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Who cares.

14. Killer

Killer

Traditional Hot Rods And Kustoms

why is that so hard to grasp?

If you wanna run disc brakes, radial tires, ac, billet wheels, etc. on yer pile, knock yourself out! Theres PLENTY of other message boards that'll pat ya on the back for it!

Now if you want to ask the OT question here, be ready for some shit slingin.. as long as the assholes stay away, you'll probably get your answer....

Im gonna say the fighting and name calling is what gets 90% of shit closed... The other 10% is because Ryan is a nazi... ask Germ. ;)

15. chevy3755

chevy3755

i agree with Brian.........

16. It could be much worse. There are forums with robot censors. The software that runs HAMB could be configured so the if you posted

"Dick buttwelded the bracket next to the petcock"

....it would read

"Bleep bleepwelded the bracket next to the petbleep."

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  17. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

If you try to please everyone,Nobody will like it. Keep up the good work mods.

18. chevyshack

chevyshack

I had a post deleted by asking this question. Matter fact 2 within 10 minutes like someone doesnt like me. I just wanted to know if someone new of other sites i might fit in alittle more. Im non-traditional but this is the only site that comes close to informative to my car.

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I belong to several sites and post topics accordingly so as not to cause drama. That said, the Hamb is my favorite.

20. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Consider the thread with over 12,300 views of a subject with no physical connection to traditional hot rods or kustoms on here that's still open?
    Like comparing a moose to a dairy cow,what's the connection?
    That's a quirk..

21. Glen

Glen

I would like to see more closed. If you have to ask "should I buy a Harbor Freight Tig welder" it should get closed.
    Most of the responses to technical questions are from people who probably should not be giving technical advice.

I work in the shop every day....I think I play with some pretty cool stuff, but I doubt it would be appreciated by this board so I dont post it. If you look at the "welcome" page it says....
    "1. If in doubt, don’t post it"

22. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Traditional is what i'm here for............No disc brakes or air bag's.. layin fuckin frame & 20's ,Dubs.. and don't try and lay that shit off on me as traditional .30's 40's 50's maybe mid 60's.. if your not into it your on the wrong fuckin board . :D:rolleyes:

23. I think they do a good job, but there are favored members for sure. Post negative feedback about one of the choosen ones and your post will disappear. I know I have had it happen. If billet has no place then why haven't half the Santa Maria pics been deleted. Looks like that show is turning into a billet fluff mobile fest or at least thats what it looks like after looking at the pics

24. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I myself have had a thread removed.. and I was in the wrong.. after reading the rules.. I understood.. I think from what I have seen removed in the short time I have been here ,, they have Been doing something thats would be hard for any of us to do..
    Dramas for Soaps.. not for a Hamb site..

I would of like to see a complete thread though on the Straight axle set up , a How too.. would have been nice.. Im not as knowledgable as most are here..

25. I've been playing on the forums for the last 5 years. I like the HAMB because its not ran by Gold chainers with plastic rods, nor by stuffy old men with "Concourse" automobiles. I try and give good technical advice, and based on the private messages of appreciation that I get, and the general response to my "How to" posts, I think my articles are mostly appreciated. For those who choose to run drum brakes, (and that includes me for the last 5 years) well, more power to ya!!!

26. draggin breath

draggin breath

Without some self control this hobby will kill itself and we'll have to drive streetrods with NSRA inspections. This site has a lot of traditional cars approaching rat rods standards. BRAKES,we all need 4 of them.

27. Never have figured out why someone would build a car without front brakes! If you are going to DRIVE it on the street, put four damned brakes on the thing! That's "traditional"??? No front brakes is STUPID! Put drums or discs on it - just put BRAKES on it!

28. Crease

Crease

I am thinkin the line between acceptable and not so acceptable has shifted as more folks have hopped on the board. I'm not the most hardcore of folks on here, but still find it odd that people proudly discuss radials, disc brakes and trailering cars that run. If anything, things are less strict than they once were. With that said, I still love this board.

29. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

My $0.02 is that the mods generally do a good job of keeping the place relatively on topic.........but I have seen way too many threads about Novas, Chevy C-10 pickups and many other completely wrong cars for here.........

What the hell is *traditional* about surface rust covered '54 Chevy four doors with no modifications at all? Stuff like that just annoys me to death......they are neither rods not kustoms and certainly not traditional.......

Apparently I have officially entered *Old Fartdom* when I see some of the complete junk that guys post on here as their *new rides*..........ratty, rusty, unsafe and just plain ugly old cars........nothing that would have been considered a rod or kustom in any era........just an ugly old car........there must be some other place where these guys can find like minded folks.......

Maybe I ought to keep my mouth shut, but I am also awfully tired of the *my buddy died* posts, the my dog died posts, and a lot of other wayyyyy off topic stuff.....

But that's me........flame away....

CB

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think this forum needs a off topic area so we can have a place to discuss other things that are not related to cars,this is the only forum I hang out on that does not have that area. Having a off topic area does not distract from the site on others so it should not here.