Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Are fenderless Model A Tudors traditional or a recent thing?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cree, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

Besides some altered-class drag cars, "back in the day" fenderless Tudor hot rods seem relatively rare. Mid-century, coupes and roadsters were plentiful, lightweight, and often open-wheeled. But before the current popularity of highboy and slammed sedans, can anyone document in old photos of what may have been "traditional" fenderless Tudor rods? Or is that a unicorn?

2. flatford39

flatford39

Oh I am sure there where some back in my day (I am 68) and I vaguely remember one or two but they weren't common. Coupes and roadsters were plentiful and pretty cheap (sedans you couldn't give away) as no one wanted them as a daily driver. Roadster were to cold (I am in Chicago) and coupes couldn't seat a family.
    Still coupes and roadsters dominated the hot rod scene as you usually had another car to drive to work in or go out with the family.

3. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Too much of the traditional out here is mostly fiction or wishful thinking. I guess if you tell it enough times it becomes fact. At near 75 with a father involved with the circle track guys, modified cars were the norm, even the fat ones. Big problem is that there was a silent war going on after the war as the cops and some rebellious young guys used fenders as the focus of the dispute. There was the illusive 1600 # rule for fender requirement. Now seemingly outrageous, the extent some guys would go to get a weight certificate under the magic number. Cycle fenders were a fix and many were rigged to be removed before meaningful cruising or racing. It was so bad that the slightest bit of tire out the side of a full fender would it get written. In the same era any loss of traction making a right in a puddle would get you an "exhibition of speed" ticket. So many delusional officers today deny that the fender/burn rubber/exhaust noise war was real. Down the line we in California have a proliferation of open exhaust and the grandkids of the WWII vets carry the distrust of police authority in spite of the propaganda storm on TV. Just picture a fenderless Tudor Model A setup to alternate with cycle fenders for that certain fix-it ticket. Not too likely traditional in my California. How do I know? Fred A

don colaps and Hollywood-East like this.