Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are 35 year old tires safe to drive on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dccd, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Clark

Clark

I don't know.....look at all the problems with the "new" bias plys. You're lucky if they're round and now they have a problem with them flying apart.

I had a pair of tires that were over 30 years old. They came off of a 53 Skylark that sat for 25 years. We put them on the back of a highboy coupe. First they balanced better than any of the "new" bias plys. The new tires usually need a lead trimring to get them balanced. Second they were round. Good luck getting a new bias ply that is round! Those tires got abused with burnouts and highway use. The car was even driven from PA to FL. I believe they are still on the car several years later now.

Now I felt better about using them on the back. A blowout on the back is eaier to handle than the front!! Also the car was pretty lightwieght.

I've got a pair of tires that my be 50 years old. 750-17 Goodyears. I'll be runnin on the back of my car. They look new for their age and I'll hope for the best.
    Clark

2. 61 chevy

61 chevy

only a fool would use them

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

No,...and HELL no ! Brakes, steering, tires,...newer is better.........

4TTRUK

4. I just checked mine and no production date marks. I guess they are pretty old.

5. Frige

Frige

Oh Hell no. Throw them away. How much is your life worth?

6. that says it all!:rolleyes:

7. Loe

Loe
    from CDA, ID

even though a lot of members are against it. I have ran two different sets of older whitewalls. They had full tread and the rubber was still very new feeling inside and out, even had a friend of mine that works as a manager at a tire shop give them the thumbs up. No cracks or any signs of being dried out. The first set is still on my 58 chevy that a friend owns (almost 4 years now) and the second is the set i have now. thousands of miles without a hiccup. Both sets where on cars that were stored inside.

As to putting them on your sons car, i would get some new ones if its being driven at high speeds or quite often. I wouldn't put older tires on someones car i.e customer or family as if they were on your own ride you know what risk you take.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea..... on a drive to hell! That's not even something I'd let an enemy do.

9. NO ; sell them to a museum

10. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Sorta like that 35 year old condom that you have in your wallet.

11. Tie a rope through them and hang the from the big tree in the front yard. They will make a great swing set!

12. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I wouldn't put those old shoes on my mother-in-laws car (if she had one). And my mother-in-law is not my favorite person. I think using those old tires on a car your son was going to drive says a lot about how much you value your son's life. Take a moment to think about that, then throw those tires in the nearest dumpster after your slice them up so someone else won't be stupid enough to use them.

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

ok, think we got it fellas

14. wvenfield

wvenfield

Would I? Yes.

Would I put them on my sons car? No.

15. Surrrre!

From one end of the garage to the other!

Think with yer' dipstick lad!!! FUCK NO!

16. They do make great boat bumpers..

17. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

NO NO NO. I had two rear tires on my car that were 20 years old. Was going to get new ones the next day, didn't make it. $750 dollars later I had the car fixed.

18. fastfrankie73

fastfrankie73

Of course you did!!! But, you are Clark:cool:...Just kidding. I've done it too and I've had better luck with the old ones. I think if you use some sense and check what you plan on using real well, you'll be ok.

19. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

You can't fix dry rot cracks with shoe polish. Your just making a turd shiny!

20. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I borrowed a friend's trailer last spring. It was 10 years old, but had very little use, and the radials looked fine. I checked the tires repeatedly on the way to Atlanta - they ran cool, smooth, and stayed inflated. The return trip with trailer loaded started fine. I checked the pressure, 32 psi, when we left Atlanta heading north, and half and hour later when we stopped for breakfast, and all was well. We no more than got back on I75 when one tire disintegrated - no warning, no thumping, nothing. The entire tread literally vanished leaving only the side walls. Luckily I was looking in the mirror and saw it happen. I still wasn't a believer (read cheap), so I had a used (I feel queezy as I write this) tire put on the wheel and off we went. Fifteen minutes later, another tire started shaking. I put 4 new trailer tires on my buddies trailer and we made it home with no further excitement. Don't take the chance with old tires. I can't believe how stupid and lucky I was.

Attached Files:

21. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Trash them RIGHT NOW! How safe would you feel using a 35 year old condom? Think about it.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Like I told the kid, "Your musics not too loud its just like OKC, it sucks!"

22. Only slowly to the tire store to have them replaced. Be sure to price tires at Costco.

Charlie Stephens

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

5 pages woth of no's here...I think the question has been answered. No need to beat the horse any further fellas....

24. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

If you have to ask the question you have the answer.

25. Road Runner

Road Runner

Now let's hear from those who survived doing that trick and recommend it with peace of mind.....
    We know you're out there and we have all seen you on the road.

26. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Look for checking and cracking,If they were stored in a dry place and out of sunlight,Id run them,But since its your son buy him a new set of cokers,I would for my kids,

27. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

+1 Flogging is a HAMB tradition...

28. Dino

Dino

I wouldn't drive a mile on those. Tires are worth spending the money on.

29. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Back in the 80's, my grandpa took atleast 15-20 year old, dry rotted tires on his old pop up trailer from Florida to Wyoming and back with no problems....