Register now to get rid of these ads!

April Fools '08 Banger Meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elrod, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

That's the 'Rockabilly Boogie', I think, Clark. Fabien Valdez's car, maybe?

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i was talking to him actually....
    dont the new ones have the throttle control closer to the actual intake port though?
    my carbs were going to be on a log manifold on the left side of the engine.....

i want to fit everything inside a stock 32 hood

dont go talking me back into this, clark.....i was all set on easily running those 2 grungy carbs you have my name on ;)

3. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

The top car has Shuggie Hanchard written all over it.
    Shuggie (originally from Scotland) used to drive a flattie powered A regularly on 500+ mile round trips. Car is now in France with the Loud Mufflers.
    Think he has a speed shop So-Watt in So-Cal now, regular and a record holder at the lakes
    Rich

4. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

mine, super duper charged

Attached Files:

5. Yeh.... Quad carbs AND a supercharger. Now thats gow!

6. Any other pics of that thing or the car? Looks old!

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I'm easily swayed here Clark.....that sure would be cool all tucked away in there......

im still working on the other 2 and parts to fix your 2nd one....
    so im on the way :D

8. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

What's the supercharger from??

9. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

mid 30's graham, its got the snout sawed off cause it was used to presurize a pipe organ
    they normall would run horizontally with a 90° drive on the end

i got it along with a whole attic of other parts and 2 flathead engines for a grand total of $300 :D

10. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

McCullah/Kaiser charger, Winfield head, Wico mag mounted to a frame and just a cowl and raced in Portland up into 1980, motor is now in another old racer and waiting its turn

Attached Files:

11. Rizhto

Rizhto

You had a discussion about throttle lag. I've understood that the phenomenom was common in the early turbo cars, where charger was between the carb and the manifold. The pressure box that was used in the Kaiser, like the on in the Speednazi's car, should not have the lag. I've myself been thinking the option of a crank mounted roots type with the pressure box around the carbs in my Chevy. However, I'm still missing the most essential part, the blower, so at the moment this is just an option.

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Isn't a crank-mounted compressor called a supercharger? I think to be a turbocharger, they have to be driven by exhaust gasses.

Furthermore, doesn't the "lag" result from the time necessary to "spool up" the compressor with exhaust? Something that wouldn't be a problem on a belt- or crank-driven compressor.

-Dave

13. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

my concern with the lag was that the throttle was closing 2 feet from the port in my case....so you have all that left over charge of fuel/air still to burnt after you let off the pedal

im not sure how big of a problem it would be though?

same problem the other way around....when opening the throttle it has to go that whole distance before hitting the cylinder

Zach

14. Whats governing the speed of the engine in the whole set-up is the throttle, how far open are the butterflies in the carbs.

Once you come off the throttle the carb/carbs are closed. There may well be a charge backed up, but it won't go any further than that closed throttle.

It doesn't compare to a turbo set-up. Because the turbo is exhaust driven there is a delay when producing boost (turbo lag) and a delay when you come off the throttle but that is dealt with through the dump valve releasing the excess boost, the distinctive "pppssssssttt" when coming off the throttle during gear changes.

The supercharger is driven direct from the engine so to a certain extent is working in unison with the engine regarding boost.

At the end of the day the Graham supercharger is going to be putting out very low boost and should not suffer from boost problems.

15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

my throttle will be before the pressure though....not a pressurized carb in a box like the McCullah type
    heres a drawing
    [​IMG]

16. Ahh... I was thinking of it as a blow through system, but it doesn't matter. I still believe the thoery is the same.

I just can't see anything like this happening in a low boost system on a road car.

How can you not look at that diagram and think, WOW! LOL

17. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

well.....its worth a try.....:D
    scrounge up those bits laying on your floor and put my name on a box.....then 2 of the intake spots will be occupied ;)

quite a few $$$$$$$$$ later and it might just be a GO!

18. I think you can pull the oil filler tube and with the aid of a flashlight you should be able to see counterweights when you rotate the crank. The "BB" cranks were installed by Ford on factory rebuilds.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Anybody who needs some Graham blower heads that have been cut off and need work could PM me.

20. Man, all this talk makes me want to go out in the snow and pull that Banger NOW!

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

What snow, it's sunny and 80 degs out

22. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Hell - even I had snow this week! 4" Wed night/Thur morn!

23. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My project, first time under its own power since 1964. Grandson thinks he is going to drive it to school this spring. It is back in the shop waiting for me to install Ted's Floaters on the brakes and install my rebuilt shocks but I have been down with health problems. I have to decide whether to take this or the Lakes modified to the Antique Nationals as I only have 1 trailer and don't think I want to battle the traffic on Cajon Pass in the RPU. The antique Nationals will be at California Speedway on June 8 th.

24. d_Seymour

d_Seymour
    from Michigan

Have a mallory YA in hand, just went through rebuilding the unit, purchased points from Century Performance as advised, but points do not fit the mounting plate.
    This is a single point unit with the yoke style point arm. the replacement is modern type. Can some one provide some direction.

25. Lookin good Bill!!!!

26. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Thats a neat little ardun banger, Crazydaddyo. I have the same motor built by Max and MaxIII. #17 Frick Head with all the goodies. Only wanted to do it once. H beam, max 21, 2 97's, I think your engine inspired me to go this way. Was it at their booth at the L.A. Roadster show year before last? In the truck? I'm very happy with their work, but for sure, Not cheap! thanks. B

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

9",
    Ya that was my car at the show. Have you run yours yet?
    How do you like the head?

28. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

That is spot-on, Bill. Love it.
    Let me know what you think of Ted's floaters, I've got a set but haven't installed them yet.

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is some video. First try at posting video, hope it works.

[​IMG]

30. Boy, I sure like the sound of that engine! Are you going to the Antique Nationals?