Register now to get rid of these ads!

April Fools '08 Banger Meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elrod, Apr 1, 2008.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I saw that on the cover so i opened it up and scanned through,...ok article,...looks like it will probably be the new "trendy" thing....hopefully it wont be molested like the vast majority of hot rodding has become?

Anyway,....
    Max senior is a fine gentleman, professional, couteous, kind,...deal with Max senior if you deal with them,...a really great guy.

Other than that, I've heard good and bad about H&H,...I DO know for a fact that their billet STEEL banger rods are AMAZING! I ordered a set and they are BULLETPROOF,...or at least they sure do LOOK it!

2. JP

JP
    from BayArea

I have an H&H banger in my A. I recently upgraded it with a couple of goodies (cam, head, carb etc). The only thing I wish I had done was to have the motor built with the parts that I added later. Very happy with the motor and the service from H&H. I look forward to having them build a V8 for me.
    Feel free to contact me if you have more detailed questions.

3. Elrod

Elrod

AH! Excellent. I feel silly because I had them fully closed since rebuilding them! I was so excited that they were just running that I was only messing with the throttle screw and forgot about them! I'll give that a try tomorrow.

4. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Hey coaltownkid,

That Parker mount looks to be duplicate of the one I'm using on my mag for the 1917 speedster I am building. Seen very few of those. What you do is mount the mag (in my case a reworked Bosch DU-4 Mag.)to it and bolt it to the side of the block where your generator would normally go (the cam gear is used to run the magneto). Unfortunately eliminates the use of the stock T generator but in my case was perfect for my application (I'll be running a small alternator). Also check out Murray Fahnstock's book Model t Speed Secrets pg. 160. there are a couple of picture of it in there.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for me I am still building my steering column for my speedster. Portland Swap meet is this weekend so I won't be touching the speedster much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did have it it's first show last month at the Portland Roadster Show. Had a lot of interest in it and a lot of encouragement to keep it moving. Lokk forward to firing it up soon.

[​IMG]

My inspiration care of my wife. Melissa spent many hours working on this without me knowing about it until days before the Portland Roadster show. now I've got a color photo of what has been rattling around in my head for the last 6 years of building this thing, can't wait to see it done.

Chris Becker

5. 4-banger

4-banger
    from Tucson

I guess i'm new. I am almost done with my first chassis. It's gonna be a 31' pickup with a 4-banger in it. Hoping to have it on the road by the summer. Here is a pic from about a month ago.

[​IMG]

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks GZ, yeah, I think I've finally become a T guy. I fought it and fought it and kept talking about Model A engines and T5s, but in the end my first love was Ts and I want to have that experience.

As far as the proper way to operate the trans - left pedal is down for low, up for high; center pedal is reverse; and right pedal is the brake, right? What am I likely to do that might create excessive heat - do the old farmer trick and hit the reverse pedal to brake?

I haven't yet driven a T, but I have a standing offer to drive a 1919 touring if I can get to Dearborn this summer. I can't wait. I think I have the trans figured out, but I'm a bit intimidated by juggling the hand throttle and spark advance. Those are both on the steering column, right?

Any opinions on going to a floor throttle on a T? Seems like it would keep your feet awful busy.

-Dave

7. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

Anyone used a Willy's distributor for ignition.
    I was under the impression that 2 '97s was a little much for a banger.
    The Burns single on ours works great!
    any other thoughts?

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

BigCheese
    I've never driven a T but i rode in one and was told how it worked....
    seems to me, to save your legs from overwork
    just go full throttle and full advance on the column, release the brake and let the pedal go into high.....then all you have to do is steer!! :D

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Spoken like a true hot rodder!

-Dave

10. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Not alot going on

Engine change coming up

I need to get a Model B - Petrol pump cover plate to block of the pump hole in the block

I need to get a Flywheel skimmed - lightened or a V8 one and do that mod that 4ever4 has done.

4ever4 - have you got anything knocking around... .

11. Chris,

Good call on the mag mount! But I do have to say that Duct Tape WILL NOT WORK as an intake gasket:D

Bigcheese327- There were a number of aftermarket floor-mount accelerater pedals made for the T. Check Espay- they're always showing up. Or you could always be a faker like me and put a modern banger/T5 in...

12. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Mac,

It doesn't work well in the exhaust system either! When I helped my dad and grandfather lag the muffler on their 1934 Phantom II Rolls Royce I was supposed to uses that aluminum heat tape to help hold the fiberglass blanket around the muffler before we sheeted it with a stainless steel shroud. Well I used duct tape instead of the heat tape because that is what roll they handed to me, after asking them three times are you guys sure?! they kept saying use the roll we handed you!! Well every time we start the Rolls now it smells like smoldering duct tape!!

[​IMG]
    Families 1934 Phantom 2 Continental and my 1948 Dodge Power Wagon.

First show dad and I took our cars to about five years ago, I got people choice for the Power Wagon and dad got best import. His competition was mostly ricers, go figure!!

Chris Becker

13. Chris,

Hate to say it, but they did ask for it:rolleyes:...

Great looking cars (and truck)- good friend of my dad's has been restoring a Wraith for YEARS (has a 30's Horch sedan as well).

Hey, saw you were a member of NWVS- are you in contact with anyone there? I've emailed a few of the staff, but have never gotten a response. Don't know if it's becuase I'm here in the southeast, but I am interested in membership (and contacting Mr. Daun- owns speedster #69).

Take care- on my way to pick up my (cough, cough)... Quad4 engine!

Bill

14. We had our Nostalgia Drags on Sunday in New Zealand and we have a Four Banger class.
    I managed to run 21.7 seconds in my closed cab pick up at 60mph.
    Motor runs a stock head, Winfield cam, adjustable lifters, stock valves, white metal bottom end, A crank and rods, Mallory electronic ignition, MSD coil, twin Holden Strombergs on a Thomas intake, Hallock manifold and a Flowmaster Hushpower. Box is a S10 T5 gearbox.

NOW I really have the bug!

I want to fit my counterweighted crank, look at some H&H rods and also some forged pistons. I like H&H's billet caps and I want to run larger valves and one piece guides etc. I have a blower that I would like to fit.

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Good to see other bangers on here. We've got to be a little nuts to spend the time and money on making these things go fast. I guess it's the chalange for me. I just didn't want to add to the SBC powered rod population.
    Any how.... here's mine:

"A" block inserted and preasurized, counterbalanced "B" crank and stroked 3/8" (232 cid.). H beam rods, 1/8" over Ross pistons, Aluminum flywheel, crossflow hemi four port head, 3 97's with progressive linkage, B/W T-5 trans hoked to closed driveline ford V-8 quick change.

Drove it to Del Mar and back saturday. 160 miles round trip. cruzes on the freeway at 75 -80 mph nicely. A blast to drive.

Attached Files:

16. Man that car is soooooooooooooooo BITCHIN! I have got so any photos of that car!
    Do they still make those heads - I saw one on eBay the other day.
    I would love to find out more about that motor and hear it run.
    AWESOME STUFF!

17. noboD

noboD

Powerwagonmaniac, I hate to be the one to tell you, but Dad's trophy is bigger than yours. I still haven't gotten to see my buddy with the White, working too much.

18. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

My little Enfo I built decided to expire a while back. I pulled it out in the freezing cold pouring rain on Saturday ready to be picked up on Sunday morning to go to a nervous one to do my rebore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All 4 bores are clagged up with oil deposits. Explains both the smoke bomb and the detonation. Rebore and re-metal time so might as well go as big as I can to a whopping 1220cc.

The engine didn't get picked up because the weather closed in and it was snowing so while I had the car apart I replaced the snapped handbrake cable. It's just a bit too cold to do much else.

19. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Crazydaddyo....stunning, just stunning. Any more pics of the engine build-up?

ForEverFour....21.7 is a good start, well done!

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Crazydaddyo, can you tell me how you hooked the T-5 to the torque tube? I've heard someone mention that it could probably be done with a 4x4 trans, but haven't ever heard the technical details.

-Dave

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here are some pics of the guts. H&H rods and Aluminum flywheel.
    Flywheel weights only 20 lbs.

Attached Files:

22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here's pics of the trans. This is a Jeep trans, But I've done one for the S-10 4x4 trans for my Dad's model "A" p/u too. Adapter will work with both "A" and V-8 tourqe tubes. I am working on having them availible soon.

Attached Files:

23. That's stunning! ARDUN Jr.

Great engineering on the torque tube adapter, and the 3 point motor mts.
    Who makes the finned front cover? Dan McEachren?

24. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Crazydaddyo - sent you an email - did you get it?

25. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

hey that is one fantastic motor build who or where on the mag drive setup been looking for something like that. also pushrods n lifter adapters
    thanks
    ken

26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ernie,
    Got the email but was called to dinner before I could finish the reply. You can call me anything you like,..... just don't call me late for dinner!!!

27. Gaters

Gaters

At one time I ran into a post that listed a number of Magnetos that would work on a 4 banger. I believe it listed each type by brand. I wasn't smart enough to subscribe to the post when I read it. Beofre I bugged anyone for the info, I did try a search but Magneto brings out a trillion posts. Can anyone share the link or provide a list of Mags that'll work?

Thanks,

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Front cover and mag drive came from H&H. They don't make them, but I'm told that they won't deal with the guy that does because there is way too much work to do to them to make them work. Also the guy that does make the parts is very difficult to deal with.
    The mag is an American Bocsh MJC with advance lever. I don't have a full list of mags that will work with this syle of drive. Most of the mags that I've seen for this don't have the abillity to advance or retarts the timing. I did see a Slick aircraft mag with a centrifical advance on ebay, but it was too expensive for my curiosity.

29. Rand Man

Rand Man

Crazy, How 'bout some info on that head? Is it a "one of a kind"? How is it a hemi? Looks like all the valves are on one side.

30. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Is it a Norm Frick 2-piece head?