Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest ANZAC Day 25 April 14.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocWatson, Apr 21, 2014.

1. henry roberts

henry roberts
    from australia

2. bluebeard

bluebeard
    from holmview

My grandad was lost in the first few days of ww1 he was in the 1st Kent regiment from England. My dad saw action in New Guinea but would never talk about his time there unless it was something funny that happened. I have always thought he must have gone through hell losing mates and the horrible sights he must have came across while there.
    RIP POP.
    LEST WE FORGET.

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

my father was in Darwin (RAAF), worst thing for him (that he mentioned) was the loss of an aircraft with all crew that he knew and the sight of the returning POW's at wars end....

4. Indian_Skippy

Indian_Skippy

My great grandfather served at Gallipoli and my grandfather in the Pacific followed by my father in Vietnam.
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old, age shall not weary them nor the years condemn, at the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.
    My thoughts go out to all who served past and present lest we forget...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Scumdog

Scumdog

I was there on parade this morning, lots of young ones turned up, good stuff.

Saw a flash pic of my old man in his wheel-chair, dropping his poppy off..

'Lest we forget'.

6. spanners

spanners

A couple of years ago I was having an impromptu conversation with my father. He was talking about his father, my Granddad, being a Tunneller in the First World War. Apparently he used to be a coal miner, so he was asked to join up and head over to Europe to tunnel under the German lines.
    At first I thought, "yer , right" but with the aid of the 'puter I was able to track down his service record. It was all true. They would tunnel underneath, set explosives and let it rip.
    Coincidentally I heard about a movie being made in Australia about the Tunnellers called 'Beneath Hill 60'. When it was released I went and saw it and had a greater respect for what my Grandfather and the others went through over there.
    My Grandfather came back alive from WW1 but the mustard gas attacks had buggered up his lungs so he died when I was only young and I never really got to know him.
    Lest We Forget.

7. They ask me where I've been and what i've done and seen,
    What can I reply? Who knows, it was'nt I...

But someone, just like me
    Who went across the Sea,

And with head and hands,
    Killed men in foreign lands.

Now I must bear the blame,
    As he bore my name.

RIP CPL. MIHRAN AVEDISSIAN
    SAS REGIMENT

Lest We Forget

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's humbling coming back here. Thank you all for posting, I know I am not the only one that appreciates it.

Doc.

9. Lest We Forget
    Watched a doco that was on telly here the other day entitled "The Lost Airmen Of Buchenwald".
    We are sooo lucky in this modern age.

10. 28rp

28rp

Lest we forget.

My Dad served on the HMAS Tobruk during the Korean War and also the nuclear testing off the Montibello Islands in the Indian Ocean.
    He was never the same after....

He passed in 1985 at the young age of 57.

11. GlenC

GlenC

I had 7 'great uncles' who served in WW1. all came back more or less alive but battered, which was amazing! 3 served on Gallipoli, then in France, 3 more just went to the Western Front, and one was a 'light horseman' in Egypt. One more great uncle and 2 uncles served in WW2, one flew bombers out of England, one celebrated his 18th birthday on Kokoda, and the other was seriously wounded on Crete.

The 100th anniversary of the landings on Gallipoli which are remembered and revered as Anzac Day is next April 25th, and my son and I will have the honour of representing our ancestors at the dawn service at Anzac Cove itself, we got 2 passes to attend!

Cheers, Glen.

12. Kiwi Bob

Kiwi Bob

Glen , with your post on your great uncles and their history , I am pleased that you are going to be at Anzac Cove next year, I honestly thought the "ballot" was going to favour the "special" people (the politicians etc.), but am glad that people like you will be there to represent our past, present , and future.

13. fat141

fat141

[
    The 100th anniversary of the landings on Gallipoli which are remembered and revered as Anzac Day is next April 25th, and my son and I will have the honour of representing our ancestors at the dawn service at Anzac Cove itself, we got 2 passes to attend!

Cheers, Glen.[/QUOTE]

Best wishes to you and your boy, mate
    Rod

14. GlenC

GlenC

Thanks Kiwi Bob and Rob, we're nobody 'special' just a couple of proud Aussies with a lot of history in our family names. There were almost 50,000 applications for passes, so we really did win the lottery!

My wife is English born, so our son has ancestry on that side of the world as well, and so many of her immediate ancestors, including her grandfather, served in WW1 it's amazing!

Cheers, Glen.