Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone use a Eastwood 135 Mig Welder?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaddilac, Oct 13, 2013.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

I recently moved to a larger home away from my shop (at my pops house) and would like to setup my new garage with a 110 welder to lighter duty stuff, I would be welding C notch/frame stuff from time to time so I want to be able to do that work. My Millermatic 180 will stay at the shop because I have a 220 plug there, but here in my garage my electrical box is maxed out and no room for another plug, but the garage is already wired for 110.

I'm looking at this Eastwood 135 welder and wondered if any of you have any experience with the Eastwood welders or a comparible welder for the same money?

Here's the one I'm lookin' at... Here

Thanks for the help!!!!

2. gwarren007

gwarren007

I just bought this welder, and I'm no welder. I realized that the Harbor Freight unit I was using wasn't going to work so I started shopping. I was looking for a capable welder that could use gas, for sheetmetal and maybe some brackets. I have only had it a few weeks, and have just been F'kin around with it to get the "feel" for it.

I read the review at Popular Mechanics-
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...d-welder-face-off-we-test-the-top-6-3#slide-3

and noticed how all of these welders were pulling 20-35 amps through a 110v socket. I wired in a 30a 110v dedicated socket (single outlet) using 10ga wire (what I had). I wanted to have NO issues with that kind of power draw.

I also liked the 3 year warranty.

_____

Here is the welder by itself ($340)
    http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-...=40408681407&gclid=CI3e4NqclLoCFUFxQgodozgAgg

Harbor freight welding cart, looks just like what they would ship ($35.00 with coupon in sunday paper)
    http://www.harborfreight.com/100-lb-capacity-welding-cart-60790.html

I would pick up a quality welding helmet and accessories with the money saved.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  3. I don't like to do business with Eastwood, they are a marketing company not a manufacturer, so to make a profit they have to charge more for the same product than you would have to pay from the manufacturer. I don't know who makes their welders, but I like my 110V Lincoln, and if I have a problem with it, most welding suppliers are also Lincoln dealers, so repairs are easy. Same with Miller and Hobart, although I've used all 3 and prefer the Lincoln.

4. raidmagic

raidmagic

A friend of mine has that welder and loves it. I have their plasma cutter and it's a nice piece too.

5. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I have the Eastwood 135 welder. Had a problem with the 1st one and got a new one after a couple months. It would shock me if I touched the truck I was welding. It's my 3d welder, It replaced a Lincoln. You can get parts for a Lincoln at any welder supply, but a new handle and lead was almost as much as the welder(My handle shorted out inside and burnt up) The handle on the lincoln got hot way before it failed. I have been welding sheet metal with 25k wire. I bought mine on sale at $299. It's been well worth the money and works great.

6. Got one from tractor supply and been using on my 56 buick station wagon.I like it .You have to get one of those automatic tinting welding helmets form Harbor Freight ,they are the greatest thing. Bruce.

7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

10-4 on the auto darkening hood from Harbor Freight. I did without one for years, and bouight one this spriing. I love it, it was one of the best investments I ever made

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

I'd hunt down a Miller, Lincoln or Hobart 220 unit either slightly used or new at a discount. I picked up a very slightly used Lincoln 175 a couple of years ago (my welder son though it was new right out of the box) for 450 with lots of extras with it.

I'm not saying anything about the quality of the Eastwood unit one way or the other as it is probably a decent unit but sooner or later all mig welders will need service and parts if you use them enough and it's not fun to carry your off brand welder in to the local welding supply to have it repaired and watch them laugh their asses off before sending you home to box it up and ship it back to the outfit you bought it from in hope that it can be repaired.

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too, have quit buying from Eastwood. The straw that broke the camels back was when I was able to find stuff from Eastwood on Amazon.com for substantially lower prices. I would also think the market for used 110 Volt welders is quite good from the number of people that are moving up to a bigger (220 Volt) unit.

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

I appreciate all the comments... Mostly just wondering if it's a good welder.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!