Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone tried the Tardel sbc mounts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ADReese, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Has anyone tried those neat sbc front mounts that Tardel has for sale? I'm using a '57 283 in a project and stumbled across these when I was looking for a Hurst mount. Anyone have experience with these? Pros/Cons? I really dig how simple and clean it would look.

Attached Files:

2. seems to me that you would be putting a lot of stress on the two 3/8 bolts,they might be likely to shear. they make one that looks like the old hurst mounts, it uses the same bolt holes as these but it dips down under the balancer and connects both sides.

3. aaggie

aaggie

There are lots of choices out there for front mounts. Those look OK if they fit your needs. As far as two 3/8" bolts, there are probably a half million tri five Chevys still running them the way they came from GM.

4. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

too long of a span between mount points front to rear. the tri fives had bellhousing side mounts. if you are just running a trans mount on the tail of the trans use side mounts if possible. mike

5. seems to me that these would be more apt to "twist" and shear the bolts since they are straight out the side not straight down like the tri-five mounts.

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I agree with Mike... Tri5 tranny hung off the bellhousings, and they were rather light weight.

7. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

My dad used something similar on the coupe to mount the 265. Haven't had any problems with them in over 20 years. Can't go wrong with Tardell parts. He only builds and sells quality components.

8. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Thanks for all of the input everyone! I'm going to run a bellhousing mount kit that I found at a tri-five store to prevent any of the typical front mount problems. I just thought that these might be a neat alternative to the hurst mount because they are much less cumbersome. Hopefully, they would make the mechanical fuel pump and the lower rad hose a little easier too. I would love to see a pic of an install if anyone has one.

9. badshifter

badshifter

Some drag race and circle track motor plates (even 2 piece ones) that don't sandwich the water pump do just fine with 2 3/8's bolts per side. A grade 8 3/8 bolt has a shear strength of about 9500 pounds. Times that by 4. I'm pretty sure you are not going to break the bolts on the Tardel mount. Ever.

10. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

One Reese to another Reese, should work great...

11. john walker

john walker

why buy something that's so simple and easy to make? you're a hot rodder.