Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone still "Hold" a car on someones word anymore??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Thank you for this acknowledgement. :)

I will not hold a car (small ticket item, maybe) based on just a phone call. If somebody was coming over or already there, I would certainly tell the caller. This will either get them to put down their coffee and make the effort to come look at it right away or loose out to somebody who is truely interested. Just to be clear, I NEVER said I would not tell the caller someone else is coming to look at it. Had my posts not been deleted, you could see that.

I'm sorry if you feel like you've missed out on some deals, but that isn't my fault. This has happened to us all and to most, more than once.

2. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I've been a cop way too long to trust a persons word We have a saying, "In God We Trust...everybody else gets searched". I will bend over backwards to help someone but I absolutely will not stick my neck out if there is a chance somebody could slice it. If I'm selling something, the first person with full cash gets it, I don't hold it, I don't put it on a payment system, I don't do layaways. I will tell you the God's honest truth no matter what and I expect the same from you.

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Not any more. I have been screwed too many times, even on the HAMB to wait for anyone anymore.

4. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

well said

5. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

You're right. In the 80's and 90's my dad was building and selling rods and muscle cars and he was always having problems with flakes.

6. I bought my current truck from craigslist. It was in california and i live in arizona. I told the seller i wanted that truck. He held it for almost 3 months waiting for me to get the cash together and time off work. I went out there without a trailer and i think upset the guy but i wanted to see it in person first. I went to uhaul and rented a one way trailer went back to his place paid him and loaded it up and went back home happy as hell.

I was working in chandler az and i parked my truck outside a lowes home improvement store when i went to get material for the job. When i came outside there was a guy walking around my truck checking it out. He seen me coming closer and asked if it was mine. We started talking about the trucks and he asks me if i am interested in another one. I said does a fat kid like cake? I got his address and went to look at it after i was done working. Turns out to be a 1949 chevy 5 window. He says he needs $1000 for it. I told him at the time i did not have the cash but he could see i wanted it. He said he has to go up north for a summer camp that he works at and in october he will sell me the truck. I cant wait till then. I have called him twice to make sure he still has it and i am first in line.

7. I have been having an issue that pisses me off to no end. I talk to someone about a part or tool drive a few hours to get it just to find they sold it before I got there.

I don't know if people are so used to flakes that they sell to anyone with cash regardless of if the promise to have it for you. Happened twice in the past two months. The last guy made me want to give him a nice dirt nap. I showed up and he was like, wow you really showed up. YA I SAID I WAS ON MY WAY. He ended up selling for $50 less than i was bringing.

8. AMEN!
    I always tell people when asked about a payment option "Sure I have 2 options.. 100% down and nothing a month, or if you prefer a single payment in full now and no, I don't accept checks"

RE: Getting there too late. I don't get why people think that I or anyone should hold something simply from a phone call. You haven't seen the item, you have not decided if it's worth the money and you have not got there in time with cash in hand. What's the big deal? I held things for people, turned away others only to hear "oh, it's not what I had in mind" when they do show up. Sometimes it's your turn and you get there 1st, make a deal and you win. Sometimes your too late and you loose. It's life.

9. If someone says they are leaving a town a few hours away, shouldn't you have the respect to let them have it before you sell to someone else or at least call and tell them its gone?

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is why people don't hold cars for others. looks like he held it so you could come look at it and make your final decision??

11. dad-bud

dad-bud

Don't feel bad because you treated the guy just the way you'd like to be treated - teacher or not.
    Life's too short to bear grudges against every jerk who pisses you around.
    On the other hand, you don't want to be a schmuck!
    Give people a chance, but just one, then say "Sorry, but I can't wait"
    Good luck with selling it now.
    Cheers.

12. Here we go again yup I want it ..I will send a deposit.... now nothing......

13. sedantudor

sedantudor

My recent car was purchased on a handshake. Luckily the guy that owned it before was willing to hold it for me due to the fact that I came out to see the car in late evening when the banks were closed. The next day I drove the few hours to pay the guy in full. The deal went well. On the other side of that coin though I got burned two weeks earlier on a car. I was looking at 49' shoebox and really wanted the car,I wias supposed to see the vehicle on a Saturday. The previous Friday night the guy calls me and says a person that was supposed to come out didn't make it and if I had the time I could come out now. I explained to the man that I did not have the cash on me since I was coming out tomorrow and planned on going to the bank at that time. He said no problem. I went out an dlooked at the car and fell in love as we seem to do with a piece of rusty machinery. I offered some holding cash until tomorrow and th eguy refused and said he would hold me at my word. Well, I drove out the next morning with truck and trailer, hit the bank, and motored down the highway. Got there and the car was gone. Here the guy who held me at my "word" must have little intention of being held to his own. He sold the car to another guy who offered a few hundred dollars more than me. Meanwhile I thought we had a closed deal. Especially after we talking about the notary and agreed on a price. But as they say, everything works out for a reason. If that deal went through, I never would have bought my 47' Sedan which has become a large part of the family. Keep the faith folks, there are still good hot rodders out there yet!

14. chopsui

chopsui

I recently sold my 50 chevy, and the guy called me from Visilia a couple hours away from me, he sounded really serious about buying my car, and for once in my life I held the car for a couple days till he could make it down, he ended up giving me alittle more than I asked for since I held the car for him. In the end both of us were happy, but I can say from past experiences that most peoples word really doesn't amount to much these days.

15. Heres the response from the guy that asked me a week ago to hold the Hawk fins I recieved it today... suprise suprise suprise.. ...Found a set closer, thanks anyways

Boris, well there we go again what a dick....

16. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I hold nothing and very seldom do I take a deposit. With that said I had a guy give me acheck and said I will pick up the car when the check clears. Suprised me when it was a legit deal. There are still honest people out there just few and far between.

17. Truckedup

Truckedup

That^^^^^ Car deals have always been subject to bullshit

18. Ben Franklin's word is pretty good.

19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It isn't always about the money either. Auctioneers will tell you that there are people who've paid the full price for an item and don't return to pick it up. That's why buyers have to sign in with credit information and sign a statement that they understand that any purchase had to be removed from the property in a set time.

I know a man who sold a house that was to be removed from the property 3 times in 3 years to 3 different buyers for several thousand dollars and none of them came to get it even though they paid for it. He finally burned the house.

Many people are very sincere but can't come up with the money or realize they can't handle the project.

20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Ever drive 4 hours 1 way and end up 10 minutes late?
    Bet your outlook wasnt all smiles and giggles if that did happen.
    Across town or less than a hour I can see no hold but if a individual is willing to make a 8 hour round trip and says 'have cash and trailer' then I do believe a hold is warranted.
    BTW...The guy that wouldnt hold for me on a 4 hour run was laughing and thought it was funny as hell that I made the trip for nothing.I never did find out if he lost one tooth or two.

21. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

If no money changes hands,its still for sale.

22. jazz1

jazz1

I will hold it unless someone else comes by with cash,,I was raised to be punctual and if you say you are going to do something you damn well do it. If you are to meet a seller/buyer and are delayed have the courtesy to contact them and let them know you are late or delayed or dead. Some people got more nerve than broke tooth,,wanting their deposit back after defaulting on completing the transaction.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  23. Did it just this week. A guy heard about a car we had for sale, came and looked at it, said his car was being picked up in a couple of says and would come back with the $$$. Offered a deposit, we said no, your word is good enough. He picked it up last night after bringing cash.
    It's all good and my faith in humanity is restored.

24. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had a 63 401 Nailhead in the classifieds. I got a PM from a fello HAMBer and we're working out a trade right now.cash is kind of an issue so I told him I'm wanting a ford 292. The Nailhead spins and wants to be freshened up and I dont expect much more than that either. It will be a few weeks and thats fine. I dig the honor and trust and the opportuinity to meet someone and have a good lunch.
    BTW, the posts where someone paid and didnt come around to pick up the purchases confound me.

25. SIX_94Y

SIX_94Y
    from Australia

Started to wreck out my 64 bonneville convert the other day, had a guy come up for the convert assembly but ended up with a few more bits and was short on cash. I've seen him a couple times over the years at random events so I just said don't worry I'm sure we'll cross paths some day when you got the extra... I find you can judge a "good" and "real" car person pretty easy. Just check for true passion towards cars, that's not saying we don't forget things over the years.......

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

I have never not offered a deposit to hold a car. I do think that a good line of communication helps, but bottom line if you say I will do it by so and so and it isn;t done then you should lose your deposit.

27. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Yep....a friend of mine told me he wanted a pickup I was selling ....5 years ago. I haven't seen any money , and each time I ask if he still wants it he says yes. So there it sits .....waiting.

28. 2935ford

2935ford

these days........ a big x2

29. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

If a buyer is obviously serious and commits, I will wait for his payment in the mail and hold the car. I won't hold it until someone can get here to look it over and still refuse it.

30. Up here in the GWN I learned a saying as a youngster that has stood me well for 50+ years.
    "In God We Trust. All others pay cash."
    Don