Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone see the HOT ROD magazine coverage of the HCPU 08?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnboy13, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Hellfish, thanks for including the Tin Butcher's show (the "Scrap Drive")
    in this list, that's a nice compliment. Your show is what inspired a bunch of us guys to put on a show like yours; thanks for the inspiration.

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

Sorry I couldn't remember the name! There have been quite a few shows that have popped up that were inspired by the Pileup. The more the merrier!

Between us in the Fall, The Bare Bones cruise in the Winter, the Barons' and Kropdusters in the Spring, and all the rest in the Summer, we have traditional rod shows in every season! :D

3. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

We have a show? Oh that party in May where people use hot rods and customs to get them there and back home.. now I remember. ;)

4. Abomination

Abomination

Not as hot as you, holding two beers. :D

~Jason

5. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

ahh shucks...your to kind jason!:eek::D

6. Hey, It's great to see the pileup in hot rod, Why? you have to remember that hot rod is usually the first automotive education for kids that know nothing about cars....
    Yes kids, there is more to the world of hot rodding than mustangs, camaros, fuel injection , N.O.S., and other expensive bolt ons that you buy with daddys credit card. I just found myself wonderin how that post 64 mercedes got into the show. (It's got aluminum wheels, dosen't it?) Congrats on the coverage Czars!!!

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

Technically, aluminum wheels per se aren't the problem... just billet aluminum. Anyway, what Mercedes?! I don't recall seeing a Mercedes of ANY vintage there! Any pics? A pre-64 Mercedes might've made it in. I wonder why no one builds those...

8. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

All those freaky tattooed folks pay admission and the Czars do a good job donating to charities with it. If they want to have a looksy and it goes to a good cause, let them in. Also, by ol gasser standards, should we have a dress code to get in?

9. I just got my copy in the mail and with all the bitching about rat rods and whatever, you guys over looked page 83. What you see is Miss Golden Shifters camel toe, don't know how you guys missed that !

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

If the crowds keep growing, we might have to!

11. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

or if its as hot as last yrs, im wearin a kilt...hubba hubba!:D

12. and comando i'll bet. but hey at least he skipped over the taxadermy

13. monsterflake

monsterflake

i think the biggest fallout will be from the hard-core rat rodders! they're gonna think that this will be the perfect show for them, even though ratty shitboxes are the minority...

14. Rat Rods & Trad Rods....Read it at the magazine stand.
    Not bad for Hot Rod coverage?!
    The editor even quoted "Lucky" of the Chrome Czar and maybe took some text from their web site!?
    Some nice photos and captions too.

Haven't bought the magazine yet.
    I might just to put it in my Hunnert Car Pile Up collection...(aka the shrine and/or my studio)

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Maybe have a "RAT ROD CORRAL" Then all the self proclaimed Rat Rods can all park together and everybody else will know not to waste their time looking at them

16. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

i dont give a shit if Hot Rod called my car a rat rod or my mom a cock sucker, I hope it gets more people to the show next year and the Czars make a million dollars for chairty. Coverage is coverage and in some peoples eyes all of our cars are rat rods...

17. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Yeah outside the fence.. good idea Mike!

18. Good grief, if your wearing a kilt and you tell people in advance that will certainly drive down the crowds. If you're going to to it just show up with no advance warning. That will show them-so to speak.
    Later,
    Dick:rolleyes:

19. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Can't we all get along?

20. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Now That's funny...Way to go Jeff....

21. timebombkustoms

timebombkustoms
    from Indiana

I dont think I have looked at hot rod in about 2 years but this has me wanting to see it,is it the one thats out now on stands or last months?

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

23. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

I always wanted to get to that show.. I always Looks amazing and with Django involved. I know its AWESOME

24. charkol

charkol

i read it at my local library(kroger) ha ha suckers :rolleyes: anyways i didnt read the whole thing but from the pictures they didnt do to bad at covering the pileup they used the r-word alot but they gave a gereral idea of what its all about .... well they did leave out all the beer drinkin

25. rust rejuvinator

rust rejuvinator
    from Hialeah FL

That wasn't a worm hole that changed History it was a butthole.

26. Ok, I just read it and the author says two groups come together at the pileup, traditional hot rodders and rat rodders. He states the differences as being true to the origins of hot rodding for a period specific traditional car versus a rat rod being made from whatever is found on the junk pile. The article also discusses trucksters as a rat rod made out of a truck cab channeled over a new or old frame. It states it is not tradional but rather a new take on hot rodding. I think the author understands the difference between the two groups of cars. A++ for the coverage.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Didja read the editorial in this issue? It's spot on, no matter what style of Hot Rod you like. I get it 'cause they practically send it to me for free.:D

28. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I've said it alot on here, and this article confirms my thoughts. Outside of this forum, nobody even knows what you are talking about. The masses have NO IDEA the difference between a Rat Rod, Trad Rod, or whatever you call yours. Outside of a perfect, shiny, billet, polished, RED, '32 Ford.... They ALL think they are Rat Rods. Even the guys that SHOULD know better. If you watched any of the BJ auction, the guy that is supposed to be the expert on Hot Rods (Steve M) has no idea about this thing. He called that chopped Barris '40 Ford a Rat Rod. WTF?

95% of the people are interested in this hobby, if exposed to it. The cars that they might be able to build at home are the ones they like the best.

I guess you just call them whatever you want.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

29. Between "truckster" and "trad rod" I think someone was trying to coin a new word, it must have said trad rod in every paragragh. Now being on the East Coast they say we are slow on the trends but I can't say I've heard of either of those before.

30. chucky1

chucky1

amen brother< amen!!!:)