Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone see the HOT ROD magazine coverage of the HCPU 08?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnboy13, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Plowboy

Plowboy

...and here I thought my pomp was looking sweet. I had it all greased up and everything. I spent hours on it. Now my feelings are hurt and I feel like crying.

.... and sorry about my beard, but if it makes you feel any better, at least my balls were shaved!

2. solid

solid

I saw the article. I thought it was ok. Free publicity anyway. They showed some cool cars. Dont think they are too dumb, or out of the loop when it comes too hot rods. They know what they are doing throwing this rat rod stuff around. They are playing dumb like a fox.

3. solid

solid

he does keep his balls in pretty nice shape.

4. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

.... and sorry about my beard, but if it makes you feel any better, at least my balls were shaved![/quote]

i just shaved both face and balls....cant recall which i did first..hmm, that might be what this rash on my face............

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Some have stated "any coverage is good coverage" but I don't agree. IMO, if an article doesn't at least somewhat accurately portray the event then the following year, because of the coverage, you will get cars that really don't fit the criteria and then folks get their panties in a bunch.

A person who takes photos at a car event really has the opportunity to slant the viewer's perception of the event in any direction they choose. For example, I usually don't ever take photos of rat rod-ie type cars at an event so if you viewed my photos you would conclude that there weren't any there.....pretty simple.

Someone who does show coverage for a living SHOULD be a professional and give an accurate preception of the event through their photos and storyline.

I'm probably not going to pick up the issue but I'd be curious to find out who the author was and who the photographer was if it's two different people.

6. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

wanna bet they get flooded with emails over this one????? ;)

7. jangleguy

jangleguy

Denise - The story was by Bill McGuire, who is HRM's Detroit editor, mainly covering the OEM scene. I don't know him personally, so don't know where he's coming from, rod-wise.

8. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Like Francis Farmer once said..."It doesn't matter what they say, just as long as they're talking about ya"

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

And a farmer named Frank once said, "It don't matter if you win or lose, it's what you do with them dancin' shoes".

10. Bill Mc Guire stopped by "Ina Mae " at the HCPU and spent quite a bit of time asking about the car and its history. ( hope I didnt talk too much )
    He left me with the impression of really wanting to provide accurate info for his readers. While I'm unsure who had the last say so on the article, I believe Bill was doing his best.

11. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Denise is right - but when we are dealing with writers that may not be familiar or really into the scene........it is the writers that determine the angle of the article........we are at the mercy of their bias

12. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Yes that one i lived in mendota at the time which is not to far from Marty`s.

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

i just shaved both face and balls....cant recall which i did first..hmm, that might be what this rash on my face............[/quote]

prolly his balls and your face...at the same time:D

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

So you went to the first one and didn't have Fun? or like the Cars? WOW what the heck did you drive there? Most of the cars fit into the show that year. That was more like a Family get together - all freinds show were you kinda knew every face and name. Just WOW !?
    Sorry didn't get to read the Hot Rod yet, I get mine from my buddy after he reads it and I pass it alog to another buddy:D. I look forward to reading it and just smile remembering the good times. If it brings a few more folks to the pileup and they have a great time ,the article did its job.

15. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

hey I resemble that remark:D, The show is agreat time and a good mix of cars and people.See ya next year Rob

16. Anyone wonder why Source Interlink's stock is trading for 16 cents a share??

17. magnet

magnet

Dude, i just spit my pop out my nose onto my keyboard! That is the funniest thing i have heard so far this year!

18. Ebert

Ebert

Bill McGuire IS a great guy and he spent a TON of time with me and my buds at the PILEUP...trying to get the real background of the event and those who endear it like ME! He is a real car guy and deserves at least our accoclades for trying to put the HCPU on the map.

The Czars are not about the pub....but let's at least tell the rest of the BS car events to FO....this is OUR deal!

19. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

you all are forgetting about the real victims here !
    what about all the poor frame less S10`s ?
    how are our grand kids , ever going to restore them back to there origanal beauty :rolleyes:

20. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

I just received my copy of Hot Rod today and I thought the article as written was pretty good. Like some, I would have made some different choices of pictures, but heck, that's what Hotrodding is all about, individual tastes.

Of course the magazine is looking to increase subscriptions and from the Editorial, they think the do-it-yourself hotrodding is in the increase, and true to the good ol American way, they want some of the action.

I think the most important part was left out, the part where the substantial profits are donated to Charities. The Czars rule!!

Great show, great people, great cars.
    Ol Blue

21. Who care's, us Road Devils got a nice mention & an almost full page picture in the mag...

And the article's called Rats & Trads isn't it???

22. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

was there a custom at the hundred car pile-up that had huge tailpipes? like 4" tailpipes? that's pretty "traditional"..................I miss the sideburn circus

BUY THE NEW RIVERDALES RECORD!!!

"traditional" is the new flat black:D

23. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Year after year it has been colder than hell and this year was perfect,but way too many damn people. I have to agree with Magnet pray for cold weather.

24. slammed

slammed

Pile Up! Mecca of the Mid- West. Who's goin' in '09? Rat Rod baby!

25. Tradrod51

Tradrod51

congrats Chrome Czars, I think any coverage in a magazine is good for the show, look how many are talking about it in this one thread. I have been there the last two years with our club. This is year i might even drive my "rat" down.

26. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I think its great that they had the show in Hot Rod but the labeling on the show sucked. So they called them the "R" word who cares, when it comes to next years show we will just educate them a little better on a Traditional car.

But to be honest its been at least 20 or so years since I even picked up a Hot Rod magazine. I thought it was nothing but Cameros and Small block Chevy stuff......

27. squirrel

squirrel

I think they did a pretty good job explaining it, remember their audience is the general public, and face it, this HAMB type stuff is pretty far out there for most folks.

What I think they did wrong was to say that cars are either R or Traditional. In reality very few cars are either/or, most are a mix. That's my opinion, ignore it if you want.

Never seen a Camero in HRM, but they sure do have a lot of Camaros. They always have had a variety of stuff, and the past 5-10 years it's been a pretty good magazine for guys who are interested in more than one aspect of hot rodding. That might not be you though.

28. Todd, you've got more isues than anyone I've ever met... perhaps that's why I likeyou so much. :rolleyes:;)

29. Degreaser

Degreaser

My sentiments exactly.

30. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

I had more than one Lone Star at the Pile Up...there'll more drank next year I'm sure!