Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone running a 6x2 intake as a 4x2?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Devin, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I'm at the crossroads here. I am just about finished putting together a fairly hot 327 for my roadster and am debating on whether or not I should proceed with building up my 6x2 intake (strombergs / offy) that i already have. The price really becomes daunting once I tally up everything that will be required to do this! I'm wondering how mymintake would work set up as a 4x2 with the center carbs blocked off and running direct linkage. Other options include selling this setup and going with a 3x2. As always all experiences, opinions and advice are appreciated.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

No expert log manifold or crossram. I've head of others doing it but wouldn't the centre cylinders run leaner that the outside ones

Attached Files:

3. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

My thinking is that they fuel distribution might be even better since the carbs are positioned directly above all of the intake valve ports.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. 'Mo

'Mo

No personal experience, but I have seen progressive linkage set-ups with 4 primaries and the center 2 as secondaries. You could hook up the other two later, if your combo can handle it.

5. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I am running a cheated up 400 SBC out of a circle track race car with the X-1 intake, and the four outside Stromberg 97s. Not sure how the Offy intake compares with the X-1 intake.

7. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

sell it and get another intake

8. You say "a fairly hot 327". Figure how many cfm you'll need for it to breath properly and go from there. As much as I like, and use, 94's and 97's they don't pass much air. You may be better off running 3 rochesters on a progressive set up.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

10. A Rodder

A Rodder

Well, from my experience I dumped about 10 quarts of fuel down the walls in a short time when I ran four outer carbs.

OBVIOUSLY it had them not working properly. That was on an X1 with 94's.

I ended up running just the center two only. Ran well but not hard.

Previous to this setup I had ran three 97's on a Fenton intake, that worked really really well, and it ran harder than the X1 setup.

POST X1 setup was a tri power setup with Rochesters. While I hated the look, that, hands down was the hottest running setup. BAR NONE.

I am not a carb guru, obviously. If the motor can use the CFM, the
    Rochesters will more than likely trump any of the others if you are strickly looking for performance.

11. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

The Offy is no bueno?

12. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Definitely want an intake that runs as hard as it looks.

13. MODELA30

MODELA30

I AM THINKING ABOUT THE SAME THING. BUT I AM RUNNING A 400 FORD WITH 351 CLEVLAND HEADS 2V ONES BUT THERE DECKED .005 AND I AM RUNNING A SET OF PISTONS THAT ARE NOT .060 BELOW DECK BUT ONLY .005 BELOW DECK. I WANT TO BUILD A LOG INTAKE AND RUN 6 97'S THAT I THINK HAVE A RATE OF 125 CFM'S SO THAT WOULD GIVE ME 750 CFM'S THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE TICKET BUT I AM SOMEWHAT WORRIED ABOUT AIR SUPPLY ANY BODY OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP OR HAS DONE A COMBO LIKR THIS THANKS. Knuck From Indiana.

14. My thoughts^^^^^^....... Going to run the four outers on a log set up with straight linkage.Won't be for a while until start up,but that's what's gonna happen.

15. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I haven't noticed that on our setup. It's interesting to tune though, since the passenger side carbs feed the drivers side cylinders. We are also running short side pipes so you can hear pretty easy if there is a difference between the two sides. But I still use a sync tool to get all the carbs flowing the same, or at least I try....

My biggest battle has been getting the linkage to work the way I want it to. It still seems to have a bind in it somewhere.

[​IMG]

16. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I started out running the four corners on my 6x2 Offy setup..''94'' carbs....straight linkage, blocked off power valves...........jetted to what the spark plugs told me they wanted.......soon after I opened up the centers and ran the same straight linkage [for progressive is for streetrods ha ha ha]...but run whatever floats your boat.......Started to scream when I got the six in tune on the original 327 w/ 10.3 to 1 compression.......stock 2.02 fueler heads and a small hyd. Isky camshaft.......It eventually ran 12.20's all day long and drive it to work........This was all pre me screwing around and machining the carbs all to hell......Littleman

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

18. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Search for "Links to Holley 94 Technical info". No matter what carbs you run, you will learn a lot about running 6X2 intakes and multiple carb setups in general. Spending a couple hours reading will put you in a position to make some rarional decisions.

19. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Thanks for the tips

20. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Did you feel that your engine was deprived of fuel and air with just the 4x2s?

21. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

The four corners were plenty for the street..........but the 1320 liked everything......Littleman Dave

22. carbking

carbking

Everyone to their own choice, but believe you would have had more success with Strombergs and WORKING power valves (remember, the Strombergs have mechanical power valves, not vacuum). This allows for smaller jets, which will give a more consistant A/F ratio thoughout the RPM range.

Jon.

23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Yep...lots of ways to get from point A to point B.......I removed the power valves to eliminate six potential failures, that is how I viewed it.......At the strip you leave the line at whatever RPM to instant wide open......their was no in between....the trick was having zero hesitation and march the whole length.....I have a large box filled w/ ET slip from this setup......started w/ a 15.99...105 passes later that first year on the track it was running the 12.20's I mentioned above..and found out it ran outstanding on the street....The only thing I did was play and learn the carbs ..no timing changes just learn and tweek the carbs.........ya..everyone laughed at me for even playing w/ them......but they all took notice when I was going faster than like sbc's stack injected on alky.......beat by my swap meet special antique 94 carb setup on gas.....then came the machining of the venturies and machined larger throttle plates and butterflies....10.20's......shifting at 7,200 running thru the traps at 7,200 still pulling hard...Then things got out of hand when I fabbed up the nitrous system for the six-twos and ran 9.70's...........and they laughed when they first seen that setup as well before I was ready to try it....12 carb jets total to tune and another 12 jets in the nitrous system to get right..........I cannot lie...I was nervous as hell when I started to try it..I had no computer anything in the system.........My ET slips speak for the success......I alway's say...''You do not know unless you try it''........So I cannot say if running Strombergs w/ power valves would have been better.......but if I were to try it......they would need to do allot to fill my 94 machined carbs shoes success.......another reason I use the 94's is purely economic....cheaper to pick up......I have found that their castings suck.....I need to machine atleast 10 carb bodies to maybe end up with 5-6 good ones that I like the machined surfaces and have no pot holes in them....These are not buy a carb rebuild kit and rebuild them carbs...I put allot of time into them...my wife calls them my six other women, ha ha................and I really have no idea what I am doing....If anyone wants to donate Six Strombergs...I will machine the piss out of them and try them......My last engine w/ six-twos made 550 hp on the dyno and same setup w/ a four barrel made 575 hp...the torque #'s are what took the hit w/ the six-two Offy intake design and carbs verses the modern four barrel stuff had better everything....To run these setups..one needs to invest the time...these are not bolt on Summit parts..these are hot rodding dam it..its painful and sucks at times, but the pay off can be huge....I have had several older drag racers come up to me and say thats the best dam six-two setup I ever seen run, we tried that when they were new, and replaced it with port injection the following weekend...we said screw that..too much work..If I have learned one thing....it would be to respect others opinions..........Littleman

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  24. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

You are a sick, sick man! Lol. Your carbs look like friggin jewelry, absolutely beautiful. Could you please clarify what you mean by machining the carbs? Are you milling the surfaces so they are absolutely true or is there other forms of voodoo involved?

25. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I only stone the flat surfaces or machine them flat if they are real bad........I machine the inside of the carbs larger and a # of other areas as well........I machine all carbs to be the same but larger.......blue print them to be the same..and I came up w/ a few tricks w/ the needle and seat and those passages.......If your planning on running the street only..........I would try what carbking is saying.........I know what worked for me...but he has allot more experience than I .....I would by carb parts and kits off of someone from the Hamb as well.....few guy's here specialize in this as well..........Littleman