Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone remmember old school rod runs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prost34, May 24, 2009.

1. prost34

prost34

i was watching some old videos lately and was wondering if theres any rod runs still around?When i was growing up in the late 80's thru the early 90's in the northeast they held rod runs,clubs like the norseman,my old club tobbaco road street rodders,champlain valley,cumberland main etc. would have a 3 day event,you pitched a tent next to your rod,had car games during the day,pig roast and a live 50's/60's band playing,and a show and shine on sun.(hang over recovery),you always saw the same peaple in differant places,just great hot rod fun,,,,,,,

2. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

rod run to the end of the world.
    Ocean park WA. been going since i was 3. wont stop going either

3. Late 80's, 90's is OLD SCHOOL? WTF?

4. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

I think Rod Runs are dead. Even NSRA has wimped out. My family used to go to Runs all the time back in the 70,s and 80,s. It would be nice if the pre 50 shows would make a come back but I won't hold my breath.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

hahahahahaha

6. snowmann

snowmann
    from Sabin MN

Rod runs are very alive and well here in MN and ND, I live near the border so we take part in both states, usually ND. There is a rod run almost every weekend in the summer and into the fall lots of fun camping, golfing, poker runs, show n shine, BBQing and drinking beer.

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

It was how we spent the our weekends when we lived in Texas (early 80s). Every town has their street rod club, and there was an event almost every weekend. Usually traveled not too far, saw lots of the same cars and people, ate some of the local delicacies, and had a great time. My daughters grew up in the rumble seat. It was lots of fun.

8. vertible59

vertible59

I kinda understand what he means. We lived in north central North Carolina, and there was, what I guess you could call, a circuit that started with the NSRA Dixie Nats in Winston-Salem NC, and ended with a rod run in Mt. Airy, NC. There was a club sponsored run every weekend somewhere in NC or Virginia, that most everyone into rods and customs made. Those were fun times, and we made many friends during that period from '76 through '90.
    Seems like today, the local car shows are dominated by muscle cars, death trap rat rods, and curious mixture of late '70s and newer stuff with 24 inch wheels and LOUD stereo systems. I still see some of the old rods and customs around, but I don't know the owners because , like me, they seem to avoid local car shows like death.

9. Da Injun

Da Injun

Now I do not know this dude, but to him if he was growing up at that time, it is old school to him.

10. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

11. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

The Yellowstone Rod Run is going on it's 39th yr this year

Now in its 39th year, the Yellowstone Rod Run annually draws five to seven hundred street rods from all over the United States. Cruises and various competitions are available to registrants. Saturday's Parade of Rods on Canyon Street is an event highlight. The Show & Shine in City Park, where a festival atmosphere prevails, is also on Saturday and is open and free to the public. Those interested in registering their street rods should be in touch with Terry or Jerry Oksa at 406-646-9759.

12. How old is the guy? Gotta keep that in mind. "Old school" to some IS the early '90s, whereas to some, it's Korean War vintage.

13. havi

havi

North shore rod run is still going, AFAIK.

14. Firefly

Firefly

Sounds like you just described most rod runs here in New Zealand. They are normally at least weekend end events and held at camp grounds or anywhere large enough with facilities for camping and cars. A great way to see the country and always a good time to be had by all. Just don't mention the 'boat racing' or the 'table sliding' :D

15. silversink

silversink

I second Ocean Park End Of The World run. There is a party for sure at 201st every year, can't wait.

16. Brandi

Brandi

Oldtimers NW, baby!! 41st annual this year. Held in Port Angeles, WA. Camping, crazy band, Sat night dinner and a road rally.

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like NZ we still have runs like that here in Australia. Any Aussies remember the Bay Rodders Two Bay Run, or the Confederates Rock'n'Roll Run at Phillip Island before they rebuilt the race track?
    Doc.

18. turdytoo

turdytoo

The kids we took to "Rod Runs" have supplied us with grandkids that we now take to what many now call (sadly) "Car Shows". I do take pride though in my 13 year old grandson who has logged over a thousand miles in a roadster. I guess " trailers" have replaced activities.

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Rod Runs were held regularly all across TX starting in the late 60s through the 80s. Many were overnighters in state parks or rented ranches, fairgrounds, etc. Some were just one day events held in the same type of facilities. Vollyball, softball, car games, valve cover races, StreetKhanas, were common events there.
    One of the best was the old LSSRA(Lone Star Street Rod Association) yearly meets at Fort Fisher Park in Waco TX.

20. Three days and about 300 miles.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362038

Story with many photos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Back in the day - read late 50's, early 60's we didn't do rod runs per se.

More of a 2-3 car caravan to the drags at San Fernando, Santa Maria or Long Beach dragstrips.

Usually Shoebox coupes - two 49's and one 50.

21. seems to me that there were more rod runs before my friends started knocking up their wifes. once couples got kids priorities changed and the amount of cars on the runs dwindled. it got to the point where we went from 25-30 cars down to maybe 8-10. just got to the point where it was'nt worth the effort. now 20 years later kids are in college and things are starting to pick up again. through all of this there has been a weekend corn roast in fondulac wi. that's going on year number 38. a three day even with live music friday and saturday with free corn and beer.so not all rod runs are dead.

22. prost34

prost34

35,BORN 1974,grew up in the 80,s-90,s,i grew up in my dads hot rod/bodyshop,started going to rod runs when i was 10 years old,,most of the rod runs in the northeast where held in fairgrounds,99% of the rods where all home built go to the junkyard & make it work parts,not open a catalog and order it,the way i like it,,,,but now that i think of it,most of the peaple that went to the rod runs where older,i found out sadly many that i grew up with as a kid are dead and gone,i am seeing a trend of hand me down hot rods,rods that where built 20 years ago,the previous owner has passed and the sons/daughters are not interested in hot rods,,in my shop i have redone allot of handme downs rods,updating steering,brakes,paint etc.,,,,

23. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

kewl! 1974 was the year I was kicked out of high school for throwing a gresed pig in the hall way during class change. I drove a 70 torino gt with a 429 cobra in it. I bought it for $1,200 from a lease compnay.
    Yesterday I got a call from the number one person in my life that influenced me the most during the 60's with his hot rods. Very simple reworked Chevys mostly. He is just finishing a 57 chevy truck while I am winding up a 25 TT custom. Hes a lone wolf Vietnam Vet just likes building cars not into showing off. he is now planing to bring his truck to my first show with my new truck. Wow am i slain. Kinda like going full circle .
    What a humbling experiance.

24. frank spittle

frank spittle

Gatlinburg Rod Run 40 years ago. Before NSRA. One car event a year there. No Pidgeon Forge Runs yet. Really special.

25. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

daytona turkey run,been to every one, about 35 or 36 of them. started w/i think 11 cars, now cut off at i think 5000 cars,it's too big now ,was a lot of fun years ago.had the same motel room for 29 years.started at $35 nite now $140+ w/5 nite minimum. i gave my 4 rooms up. now i go to the model A hill climbs, they are like the old runs used to be. next one is downtown chattanooga tn,aug 6=7 i think..cool cars by old guys. coker tire brobibly has info if you are interested.

26. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Yep, grew up going to the same rod runs. Our local group was the Norsemen Street Rods. Used to make the trip to Tabbaco Road. Always a good time. Here's a few pic's from the grass drags in 1977 at the Norsemen's run.

Attached Files:

27. prost34

prost34

Ahh,you know what i am talking about,not car show or 3 day events like the turkey rod,true rod runs,,i won the grassdrags in my grandfaters 37 chevrolet,my father had the pink 32 chevy truck with the bowtie back window,my mother had the black 40 plymouth coupe,my grandfater has the brown 37 chevy 4 door with the big block,i had a chopped 34 ford,my brother had the 57 chevy belair black primer,,

28. The poor boys cc attends numerous rod runs in the Southeast such as Beatersville, KY; Dixie Fried Atlanta GA; 411 Drags in Seymour TN; Redneck Rumble in Lebanon, TN; Rusty Nutz show in Fairmont Ga (sand drags), and with many other tempting shows monthly. We almost always camp out as our club caravans hundreds of miles and then we throw a party. We love the grass roots, homebuilt shows, and have even driven 1300 miles round trip to the Billet Proof FL show a couple of times. Most of these shows are knee jerk reaction by DIY-types to the overpriced, lawnchair-sitting NSRA and Good-Guys shows. Long live the small rod runs.

29. Still going on up in the Midwest here in SD-MN-ND-IA-NE all the time. It's still some of the best times to have out there.

I have some friends who I call the Minnesota-Iowa gang, that are in their sixty's who still pull their campers to every rod run, like the Vintiques Rod Run in Watertown, SD, Back To The 50's in Minneapolis, the GoodGuys events like Des Moines where they can camp out. They still party like teenagers and regularly don't quit until 3 AM. Anyone that makes it past midnight are members of the "STOOPID CLUB". They are a fun bunch to hang out with because most of the other people that age are in bed in their hotel rooms before 10 PM. They just did the Annual MSRA Spring Campout in Fairmont, MN last weekend. They are the reason I restored a Burro camper to pull with my Deuce pickup. They have been doing this for over 30 years back into the 70's and don't seem to be slowing down much yet. They are NUTS!!

I would have gone with them last weekend but did the Lake Area Roadster Club Reliability Run in the Black Hills instead. Kind of the same thing but we stayed in cabins instead of campers. Here is the link to that run. We cruised about 400 miles in two days in the Black Hills and had a great time.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364477

30. willymakeit

willymakeit

With the economy the way its going, I think you will see it come back. I welcome it. Yes I am over 50 and loving it.