Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Put Defrost Ducts in '34 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BELLM, Mar 16, 2009.

1. BELLM

BELLM

I would like to know what others have done as far as placement of the outlets. I want to make sure I will be happy with the location before I start cutting up an original body or dash. The pocket for the windshield regulator looks like an easy spot but don't know if I will get good coverage.
    Any advice, recommendations or experiences appreciated!

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Some of the older designs I've used had very small vents, more like slots. I think you could even use an array of holes across the top of the dash to make the most of dsitribution. It really depends on what sort of manifold you have to put under the dash.

I'm planning only a heater in mine and have an idea for using small tubing, maybe 1.5" (or something that matches the air ducting from the blower), across the dash with four or five slots of about 3/8" x 3" for outlets. Small windows don't take much.

3. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I narrowed a '49 Meteor dash for my coupe and lost the defrosters when I cut the front portion of the dash off, so I punched a 3" louver about 7 or 8 inches from each end of the dash with the open end facing the glass of course. I welded a couple of small tubes, cut lengthwise below the dash, under the louver and capped the ends. Then welded a small 1 1/2"? tube to the bottom of tose (after drilling the appropriate hole for it) and attached my defroster hose to that. I haven't had to use it yet, but I'm confident it'll work great. Sorry - I didn't take any pics of it. but it did turn out very nive.

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Put a roll cage in the car, and run the defroster through the tubes, with slots cut facing the windshield. It wouldn't be safe, but you wouldn't have to cut up a purty ol dash

5. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

^^^ hahahahah that always works....

just get a towel and wipe that bitch off......they work fine as a defroster

6. Bull

Bull

I was just out at Walt's Rod & Custom in Sauk Rapids, MN a couple weeks back. He was working on his 34 Coupe and had set up a defrost system in it. I remembered a post by Crusty Nut that had a very similar set-up in a Model A. Check it out: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299574

7. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Here's a pic of my 3" louvres defrost vents. I welded a tube on the underside for the hose to connect to.

8. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

You better wipe the frost off before you take the picture because we can't see much.:p

9. 62rebel

62rebel

British sportscars (Spitfire,etc) have defrost plenums and bezels that are removable and fairly narrow with a small inlet hose end. just an idea.

matter of fact, a Spitfire heater has two small cores and a central blower motor that will fit in a fairly confined space. just a suggestion.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I think R&C did an article on this a while back, with a '32 dash. Turned out nice. Maybe about a year ago now.............

11. Eddie, Packard and some luxo cars had neat little bolt on air deflectors the directed the defronst to the glass with a simple hole under them. You know what they looked like?...............................................Antique drawer pulls like these bin pulls

http://www.vandykes.com/category/bin-pulls I am thinking something simple and nickel plated?

12. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I built a custom box above the window and ran my air and heat up the back of cab, over the doors and into the box. I also put my controls, speakers, radio and eye ball outlets in..All I had to do was turn the eye balls to the window and it worked great..
    This might work for you..
    Duane..

Attached Files:

13. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

This was done in a 33 Ford P/U..

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

15. pinman 39

pinman 39

This is a lo-buck lo-tech idea we have used a couple of times.
    Make a couple of small slits in the top of you dash panel then
    attatch vacume cleaner attatchments to the bottum side and
    use the vacume cleaner hose to plumb it to your heater .
    Done on 34 Ford pu 29 Model A Vicky and 39 Chevy coupe.
    Its easy and Cheap ! Best of all it works.

16. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Try again

Attached Files:

reagen likes this.
  17. bill3337

bill3337

I put them in my stock '33 dash using Vintage Airs defroster ducts, then cut louvres into the dash very much like the dash above. I'll try to get a picture of it to post here. They work well, but could stand to be wider, but they do work pretty well as they are. Billl

18. bill3337

bill3337

33 dash.jpg

33 defroster.jpg

Hard to get good picture, but this should give you the idea of it. Looks like I should have dusted the dash first :) They really do help, specially on wet days in the winter......slower than a new car, but they do keep it clear.

reagen likes this.