Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone put a 3spd OD in a 40's Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gkgeiger, Jun 27, 2012.

1. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I'm looking at a very nice 40 Deluxe coupe which is all original. One of the few things I want to do is install an OD trans. I want to retain the column shift and make the swap invisible. If you've done this, what trans did you use. I assume it will require an open drive shaft an after market rear trans mount and a trans adapter. I'd use a Columbia but they seem to be golden. Tell me your story. Thanks,

2. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Try a chev 3 speed OD with an adapter to the flathead. Had one in my 39 with a floor shift.

3. Andy

Andy

You will have cut the frame X member out of it. You will lose all the frame's torsional stifness. Just put some taller gears in it and enjoy your car.

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Mitchell Overdrive would be my choice to keep the car as original as possible. :)

5. 39 Ford

39 Ford

You do not have to remove the frame center section. Remove the early Ford trans mount and trim the center as necessary. You also do not have to split the wishbones. I do not do pictures, but my car has a Saganaw with a hurst shifter ijn it and I did not have to do any of that. It is the same car that had the OD in it.

6. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I should of added that a length of angle and a stock GM trans mount are required.

7. I'd try a 49-51 Ford or Merc, as mentioned. They'll set you back about three bills for a decent one.

8. ArmbrusterJo

ArmbrusterJo
    from new york

You will have cut the frame X member out of it.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I used a non/OD '49/'50 Merc trans in my '47 Ford Coupe a few years ago and did it along the lines described by SKIDMARKS......used the '47 side shifter cover and forks to mate with the stock '47 linkage. The neat thing about the '49/'50 Merc trans is that at the front it replicates the earlier units, including the clutch shaft/fork setup. Not having been an OD unit, I don't know how the clearance is with OD housing/governor/solenoid.

As for the mount, as I recall, I drilled out the rivets from the bottom plate, removed it temporarily, built a suitable rear mount plate and used a common GM trans mount insulator. After installing the trans/driveshaft etc. I used grade 8 bolts and reinstalled the bottom plate.

oh, btw, I did also install a Chassis Engineering rear parallel spring kit and and open drive Ford rear end.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  10. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I have a Mitchell in my 40 and love it

11. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

My 40 with the Mitchell makes for a great driver

Attached Files:

12. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

This car looks just like the one I'm interested in. Are Mitchells hard to come by, and what is one worth?

13. jimbousman

jimbousman

14. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

'41 Lincoln overdrive trans is closed driveline & column shift.... but it doesn't agree with the arrangement of the frame very well at all....

16. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I ended up buying a '39 Deluxe instead of the '40 so now everything has changed. I'm going to start a new thread about a Ford Ranger 3 spd OD conversion. Thanks to everyone who replied.