Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone make a pillared sedan pillarless??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nekronomicon, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

I know people have done 2 door conversions and all that. Just wondering if anyone has done this and what was involved...I know there would be quite a bit of work but nowadays 2 doors etc are gettin expensive, and their pretty scarce over here!

[​IMG]

2. old beet

old beet

Always works out perfect, as long as ya don"t need side windows....OLDBEET..Ya! ask me why I know!......Think before you jump!

3. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

To make it all work, you practically need to have a hardtop parts car for numerous things. There's also the frame stuff you'll need too.

4. naynay

naynay
    from dallas

that cars perfect. leave it!

first post :)

5. tysond

tysond

I have a friend with one of those, he parks it on the street, and I have a hack saw. :)

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Seems like ther would be serious structural problems to be considered-like what's going to keep the remainder (below the window opening) of the center pillar from waving around once you cut it loose. If I recall, the 4 door hardtops had a massive structure across the floor pan and up the inside of the pillar. The longitudinal body sills would probably need some serious stiffening to keep the floor pan from sagging. Asides from that, there is a tremendous amount of detail fabrication/bodywork to make it come off looking professional. You might check out the series that's been running in the last three issues of R & C.

7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its tricky on a tudor, but near impossible on a fordor. That center pillar gets like a wet noodle when you cut it from the top. That being said I had a friend who did just what you are thinking about on a fordor. He had gussets going back behind the front seat to stabilize the pillar. Drove that car all over the country for a lotta years. Depending upon how level the area was where he parked, he could occasionaly get the doors to shut on the first slam.

8. mikes51

mikes51

That's right, the post on how to solve the side window problem, on the original HAMB chop, went on for weeks.

9. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Let me just say I once went to Tijuana and after that I know Nothin is Imposible! On a side note i hard toped my four door lincoln continental just added the 1/8 plate to the floor, new glass and voula it was done :D

10. They made a 4 door hardtop in that time period. You would have to get the equivelent of a rag top chassis or beef the hell out of the chassis you got.

I'm not a big moredoor type myself, but that one is a looker the way it is. I think if I was going to do anything at all to it I'd lower the lid just a skosch, but that would only be if I was bored and neede something to do.

11. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Hey guys thanks for the info, I should of said my car is actually a 63. I dont have a good clear sideshot of it so i used that local 62 pic...
    Doesnt sound like this job is done too often...!

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Buddy up to the guy with the '62 and copy his style. He's a fashionable guy.

13. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Killer did an extended cab Chevy truck... He chopped it and turned it into a hardtop. He'd probably advise against it.

14. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Yeah ok, wont look into that for a while then...thanks guys!

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

No way man, that's just crazy! ;)

[​IMG]