Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone interested in N. Illinois Rod Runs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Francisco Plumbero, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The pure joy of owning any vehicle is driving it. A Rod Run is the best thing to do to have a good time doing that.
    The best thing to do is to have a network of like minded guys that can upon a short announcement get together in a specific general area and drive to another specific area.
    The reason for the short announcement is to control the type of vehicles and hoodlums that could damage the fun of the run.
    It would be very hard to call a specific jurisdiction and organize a sanctioned run. The permits and fees and assurances would be crippling. We do however have the given right which as law abiding citizens we maintain to lawfully and respectfully drive our vehicles almost anywhere we want as individuals. This is the basis of the rod runs that we are hoping may result. You and your behavior are on their own, act up and you deal with J law, not any of the rest of us.
    The content of vehicles types would be wide open, since this is a non sanctioned group of events it would not be wise for any one to take control or over lord this, that may bring any angst caused by hoodlums to them.
    Weather would not be a factor, it's raining we will plan a different day, no problem, no money lost. We would lay a general map of a territory upon which the run would occur, meet for a breakfast at a couple of different spots, set out and just cruise a scenic route, too many rides in one spot, hey disperse and keep Johnny happy, no problem, use a common sense ethic. Maybe even have a landing spot be a show or event.
    Any one want to get into putting together a network, post a response, lets see if it will roll, want to offer assistance, help stranded rodders, pipe in. Let's see if we can roll em.would be best to try to keep it non affiliated and non sanctioned. It would be easier that way. We wouldn't want a club or a group taking any heat in the event something happens, it's better to just be individuals or individual clubs that happen to be taking a drive down the same road. We have the right to drive these cars.
    Opinions please. Good bad or other. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. mj40's

mj40's

Brought me back to the 70's!

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Did it take you to a bad place in the 70's or a good place in the 70's?

4. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

5. von zipper

von zipper

6. I'm always interested in a nice ride. Haven't had the rod out for over two weeks.

7. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Was thinking Byron to White Pines down Rt 2 for one, maybe trace route 66 out of Chicago for another. The whole process would be open and democratic, have a cool spot for breakfast on an Illinois scenic route add it to the mix, got a great lunch spot a place with a good band, a shop hat wants to get into the spirit. The route down 2 has a lot of day trekker stuff on it already, you would run down the rock river, scenic attractive and a lot of shops along the route, the ladies won't get bored as it has some shops for antiquing and such along it too. Lot of bikes run it on a regular weekend in the summer.
    Got a spot for a run offer it up, completely democratic, would like to get a network together so as to have several all in different locales, want to keep it short notice and HAMB worthy primarily so as not to have a lot of OT rides crashing the vibe.
    Got a nice scenic route close to Kankakee offer it into the mix.

8. Do you know about the Polar Bear Cruise on super bowl Sunday?

9. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Hoping to be hosting a very large party for a certain team that is local on Super Bowl Sunday this year.

10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

There are a lot of active car clubs in northern IL that take "rides" through out the year. All you need to do is post a date, a starting point and time, a few stops along the way, and where you will stop. Its a great way to meet fellow HAMBers.

If all the stars and planets align, we have space on the schedule, and my ride is running on the set date, I'd be game. Pretty cool being in a line of about 15 or 20 hot rods going for a ride, but just because my ride might be broke, don't disallow me to tag along on the end of the line.

So, post up the date and info. Gene

11. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Wish my truck was 100% done, I'm NO WHERE close...

12. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The hope is to get a bunch of guys in and around the same area and do a scenic cruise, if a line forms a line forms, no exclusions no real rules just a point a ish to point b ish kind of set up, if a guy wants to tag along or be a part of it in his daily that's cool. There really wouldn't be an anti this or anti that enforcement, in the end that just creates anger, the trick would be to just short notice and if you run you run, if not just wait until the next notice pops up.
    In the end no one loses, you don't put up money for a place. if it rains and you don;t mind rain, hey go for it, it will be planned along a scenic route, you still will have you and your car on an adventure. Of course the more cars that participate the better the visual stimulus but hey, if it's just me or just you on the route it still will be a nice drive for us. If a couple of clubs show up and want to do the run and you tag along, awesome.
    One of the best parts of doing a run is that in the event that you have a problem that a buddy would come along and help you out of a predicament. Ultimately that would be the hope, that enough guys would be on a run that a guy could have a little comfort knowing he's not all alone on a road with his ride in the event of a problem.
    I'm thinking early May for a first one if anyone wants to go earlier post it up, if you have a route let's have a look. If you know of a show that it interferes with post that up too, we don't want to conflict with any events, they all need our support.

13. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Great idea, thanks for offering it up. I think our HAMB and Eggs group would be interested.Remember the Reliability Runs from the 50s. Id pick up on that tag line. This is what they did. Lots of neat places to go, could easily plan a few of these over the summer.Thanks for the effort.

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

We try to go out every other weekend for a roadtrip rod run :D. The weather doesn't stop us unless its just nasty out. Just go drive you old rod because your not going to live forever:(. Hell I'm going out at lunch and do a few doughnuts in the street !!!

15. paintcan54

paintcan54

A few years ago a group of friends and rodders would meet for breakfast then head out for a ride maybe a show, had lots of fun and met a lot of new people. What we done was some of the people would bring show flyers and we either go to the show or some would go out for a drive and pass on the show, it was up to you, most went on the drive. This worked for a few summers then it just got to big, and some of the people wanted to take charge and tell everyone where they should go and what to do, the wife and I stoped going and after a while it all fell a part. I wish you well on this and be safe.

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I was unaware that Green Bay is considered "local" to you.

Good idea on the Rod Run. I would gladly welcome a visit to my shop in Jefferson, WI. You would see a few cool cars in the warehouse

17. ...the Tin Butchers usually have a Spring and a Fall club cruise; lately, we've opened them up to anyone in the area that wants to join in. People can join in or drop out anywhere along the course. It makes for a fun day. No date set yet, but I'm thinkin late April/early May.
    This will be posted on the HAMB.

[​IMG]

18. Zaq

Zaq

If you were closer to Peoria I would be all for it...well that is if my truck was done...instead of no where close to being done...

19. I'd be interested, count me in if Mercs are allowed.

20. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Mines is not a rod by any means, but I'm game.

21. That Rt 2 trip is a real nice one. Another favorite drive of mine is up the north shore along Sheriden Road or Green Bay Road heading thru Lake Forest. There's a couple neat scenic drives in southwest Cook County, just a bit south of 55 along the Forest Preserves there, plus you could gather in one of the Preserve parking lots. I've done the Rt 66 trip from Chicago to St Louis a couple times. Its not an easy route to follow because its been busted up so many places but in general it kinda follows Rt 55. Neat little towns along the way.
    I could maybe do some Sundays but Saturdays I'm still workin' for da man.

22. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Cool, for the next couple of weekends I'm going to do some route mapping.
    I think I will try to lay out three separate runs.
    One would be originating in the Rockford Byron area and run down along Rt 2 and the Rock River basin. This route I have run alone before, you never really are alone on it because it is a nice ride and there are always bikes and cool cars on it, there is a day cruise infrastructure already in place. The end point will need to be determined, what generally are most of you comfy on cruising during one of these? I will be looking for food places, gathering spots and parking places along the way. I will check out White Pines to see how it would accept having some cars roll through. I may stop by Oregon city hall and check the vibe there, they have a few places for lunch and etc. in the town.
    The second I am thinking St Charles Area and south along the Fox River valley, again this route has infrastructure to support this type of cruise. When the towns have infrastructure they like us cause they like the revenue from us stopping through.
    The third I am going to have to get some input on, it would be great to get out on Rt 66 and do a day cruise, if the forest preserves can be used as junction points along the route that would be a bonus.
    And again nothing is set in stone, this is all in the very early planning stages, if you have a great spot for eats or a great route add it up to the mix. The when and the where of it is all wide open as well, could be a Sunday, could be a Saturday, maybe an evening run, maybe a Friday nite short run.
    Bobwop, I'm just happy that this game is taking place. Great fun.

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

We have the Open Wheel Reunion at the shop periodically. The last one, we drove out to the train museum in Union. One year, we went to see this B-17.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

That would be a cool thing, to have a destination or two in the run. When you have your open houses or pre parties at the shop do you ever need permission from city government or give them a heads up that there will be a gathering?
    Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle is a cool shop, a very worthy visit on a rod run.

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The regular open houses, no, but something like the Goodguy's pre party, Kevin will make a phone call. Several of the officers will usually stop by too.

26. If you do the route 2 thing,..Sam's Drive-in in Byron Illinois is a great place to meet up or eat; they have regular cruise nites there thru the summer.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  27. I have always envied the guys that do the "reliability" type runs, it really seems like a blast. I would be interested in being involved in one of these runs, and with them being on senic type byways it would be all the better. Just as long as it didnt end up like the bike runs I used to go on where you usually end up stopping at ever gin mill you pass, I'm too old for that stuff now !!! I'm on an every other week "on call" work schedule so that would dictate if I could attend but if I'm free, I will do my best to come. Sounds alot better than just driving to a parking lot and just sitting there. Francisco, you had mentioned the ST. Charles drive along the Fox River, we went up 31 on Sunday thru Batavia , Geneva and Elgin to look for Bald Eagles( actually saw 3 of them, ODD to see them in an urban environment)and that is a fairly secnic drive also although its not really that far. We only went to Interstate 90 and came back home , I suppose you could follw the river further north. ANYWAYS count me in. Mitch.

28. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Mitch, you just gave me an excellent reason to talk the Mrs. into going for a drive on a Saturday morning to look at routes. She would be all wild and happy to see an Eagle. Thanks

29. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Wish I was closer, would love to go...

30. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I'm in for Byron/Rt 2 or the Fox Valley jaunt. I'm located west of the FV and know some nice routes if you need to create a western loop to head back south.

Francisco let me know if you need any ideas.

:D