Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone in Oregon know who owns this coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kinky6, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Kinky6

Kinky6

Hey, I pulled these pictures off the internet, and was wondering if anyone knew who owns this '34 or '35 Hupmobile coupe. It has an Oregon antique car plate, and that's all I know about it. I was hoping to ask the owner some questions about it.

Thanks, Kinky6

Hupp Rod Coupe 1.jpg Hupp Rod Coupe 2.jpg Hupp Rod Coupe 3.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Kinky: That's a cabriolet body with a top grafted on. Door hinge placement and door window openings are first big clue. Tim

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Kinky6

Kinky6

Tim, you're correct, up to a point.

In 1934 and '35, Murray Body Co. sold slightly modified versions of last year's (1933 & '34) Ford bodies to Hupmobile for their "W" model. This was the least expensive of some seven models offered in '34 as Hupp struggled to maintain market share (#14) during the depression.

So, yes, the coupe got the cabriolet doors w/o the window frames, and the 4 door sedans look just like the Fords from the firewall to the back window, with the late '34 Vicky trunk lid panel added below the body line and modified to hold the partially inset spare tire. Unlike the Vicky, it didn't have the bottom hinged trunk, although some touring models got fitted w/ a "potters" trunk. With all the Ford sheet metal, some Hupp purists refer to them as the "bastard Hupp".

5. Well!!! In that case I'd cut the top off!!! ha ha. Is that a hupp grill in pic #1? Also, if I find a hupp coupe I could cut the top and make a emoval hardtop for my cabrio! I had never realized this, thanks for the thread. tim

6. I'd like to read that tag on the cowl. That body looks like a glass 34 cabriolet. & no cut out for the hood latches & the radiator support rods look aftermarket. A couple of builders out there make a glass top. Upgraded the grill in the last pic & it has the ford logo on it

7. Kinky6

Kinky6

Its a Model W417 or W517. Here's the cowl tag: Hupp Rod Coupe 4.jpg

8. Kinky6 thanks, did some searching(googled Hupmobible 417) & I am probably wrong again. I did read a bout a guy in Phoenix Or that is into Hups. His moniker on the Hup site is Keiser 31

9. oldolds

oldolds

I do not know anything about this car. There was one here in the northeast USA that the guy put the Hup body on a Ford chassis and did the car in a resto-rod style. Ford fenders and flatty engine. Drove the Ford guys nuts for a few years.

10. Kinky6

Kinky6

Evening bump for the west coast guys....

K6

11. desotot

desotot

There is one of those Hupps here in B.C. It would be tempting to put one a Ford frame with a Ford nose and fenders.

12. Keiser31 is me. I have not seen that coupe before, but I will look around for some information about it here in Oregon.

13. Some guy in Omaha was driving one as a winter beater in the early 80s. It was painted flat pink or light purple with black fenders. It was gone before I could get a photo of it.
    I'm originally from Oregon but never saw that car.

14. coast40

coast40

The pictures with the Ford grille were taken at an event next to the Market St. Rock-n-Rogers in Salem, Oregon .

15. verde742

verde742

looks FG to me also,,,,