Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here from "Ol' Skool Rodz" magazine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PEDDRO, Oct 26, 2003.

1. 'Cos if ya are, nobody's checkin' ya email! [​IMG]

I want about 20 copies to start with.....

2. Peddro, I think they have someone whos posts........the name escapes me.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I saw, and was able to check out, the first copy which Fat Hack brought over to MercMan51's place on Sat afternoon. Lots of fimiliar mid-west rides being featured in that issue. I'm impressed so far.

The guy in charge was at the PileUp....maybe he's still recooperating [​IMG]

4. I saw it, they just need to get a better camera, there are some way pixelated shots in the rag

5. Antibilly

Antibilly

Mag is pretty good, but seems to go a little over board on the greaser cats and kittens crap......how Kool is to Kool? [​IMG]

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Bought it at the airport - a bit heavy on the "who we are" stuff, but I guess that's about right for issue #1. I like it, but it is a bit "heavy" on scene...

[​IMG]

7. Dan

Dan

I too thought it was pretty good, get away from the "scene" stuff ("greaser" this and "kitten" that) is stupid. The tech article seemed like pretty useful stuff, not super technical but that is why I liked it, kinda down to earth info. The guys writing the features need to learn alittle about the subject material, they know alot about the scene but not too much about the cars. There was an error I noticed (can't remember now, the magazines at home) that at first I thought was a typo but as it was repeated over and over it got annoying. Would've liked to see some actual pictures of Jesse James' CAR! The girl was cute but I much rather wouldv'e seen the whole car, not just a fender of it! The feature on the Mills(?) p/u was the same way - not one damn picture of the car! Oh well, I hope they are able to fine tune it and keep going - despite a few minor complaints I thought it was pretty good (seems The Horse and Ol Skool Rodz (oh, that is another thing that bugs me, get away from junior high cool spelling) are the only mags around the house that I keep picking up and re-reading so they must be doing something right!)

8. Elrod

Elrod

I agree with the "bit heavy on the sceene" statement. There are pages basically saying, "Fuck all those who don't have 10 inch cuffs and 10 inch pomps, oh, and you gotta have a crusty crusty car, too!" Then they go on and on about Jesse James' car without ever actually showing pictures of it. Um.... I don't remember him ever dressing the hard core rocker part. It definately take the "Psychobilly sceene" route to the fullest.

I really liked the article on rebuilding Holley 94s though!!

9. John B

John B

I'd like to have a buck for everytime they use the word greaser

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Couldn't make it through a single article. Pictures were just bits and pieces. I put it down and reread some old Hot Rod and Custom Rodder books instead. It's pages are nice and glossy though....it will be perfect for paletting my brushes when I "Break out the daggers and pull some Ol' Skool lines on some hepkat's ride 'cause let me tell you, this Psychobilly has got One Shot coursing through his veins." Hahahahaha.....rrrright. Who am I kidding - they'll sell a ton.

11. "Ol Skool Rodz" ...is that name for fucking real? Did the editor lose a bet?

Ol Skool Rodz with a feature on Jesse James.... That is awesome.

12. I'm editing my original response after reading the mag cover to cover vs. just skimming it before.

The one article I read earlier gave me a warped perspective of the mag as a whole. It's funny because most of the rest of the magazine was pretty hipster-lingo free. If the magazine does what it says it's trying to do on the intro page, i'll be a subscriber in no time.

I still wish the Jesse James car pictorial had better pics of the car.

All in all a good first effort.

Stacey
    (who knows jack shit about starting or running a magazine)

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I think maybe at this point their target readership was planned to appeal to all the "greasers" and "kittens". Then expand to include more techy stuff/less scene in the future. This way they didn't come across as just another hot rod mag.

Just a thought

14. hankcash

hankcash

I agree with some of what has been said here. I could spend my time complaining about everything that is not as cool as I am, or I can find a little good in something.
    Any magazine that even touches anything along the lines of hot rods and real customs is ok in my book. I mean look at the options in the magazine world... how many really good ones (cover to cover) are there? one or two, maybe. So go pick up the new Better Homes and Garden and learn how to bake a fucking cake. Or perhaps you would rather toss off to the latest Seventeen or Teen Beat magazine... Maybe you should stop bitching and start a magazine of what you think is cool... I am sure there are a few others out there that share your similar interests of being the anti-cuff, anti-VDO, anti-scene (which by the way, by choosing to buy, restore and drive old cars, wether you like it or not, you are part of a scene that buys, builds and drives old cars) anti-everythingthatisnotME.
    O by the way, I read it and it is ok. I will read the next issue, as I am sure all of the bitchers and moaners will as well.
    I need a nap-
    HC

15. du$ty

du$ty

so hot rod deluxe wasnt greasy cultured?..oops i mean kultured.that silver t did suck though.

16. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I thought it was pretty good for a first issue. Of course my buddy's car is in it so I might be a little biased. First issue of HotRod Deluxe was kinda lame, but after a rebirth its much better. Even the first issue of HotRod was frankly, kinda boring. But once you've taken that first step, you can see which direction you want or need to go. I agree the name sucks and it would have been nice to see at least one shot of Jesse's ENTIRE car. One suggestion, don't get carried away with the artsy fartsy stuff and forget to do the job.

17. nummnut

nummnut

thanks hankcash good post, i can get copies if any one needs them just e-mail me,it's a good mag.

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

If I wanna read about 'kittens' I'll buy Cat Fancy magazine.

19. Probably the booth of choice at next year's Hootenanny

term of the day: Played Out

Funny, I dont describe anything as "Ol Skool" and I look funny at those who do.

20. haring

haring

I wrote an editoral letter to the magazine. I haven't heard back from anyone.

The name "Ol' Skool Rodz" is embarrassing. I hate even typing it.

Like everyone said -- they need to show reasonable photographs that SHOW THE CARS. I would have really enjoyed one nice shot of "Mill's" truck, but have to imagine it instead.

The scenester writing is comical. Here's a perfect example:

"A combination of paint, pin striping and punk rock decals makes sure you don't mistake this greaser's ride with the pretty pastel lime green crap that some retired billet billionaire banker wanker comissioned some West Coast jerk off to build for him."

They really shouldn't talk about Jesse James that way considering they put him on the cover.
    [​IMG]

I'll buy the next magazine to gleen what I can from it. But I'll still wish it had a better name. [​IMG]

Blownfuel likes this.
  21. Edselow

Edselow
    from TN

Yes, I'm here! Wayne, your request will be taken care of.

Thanks for the constructive comments on the first issue of the magazine. We're definitely listening and over the next few issues will likely make changes and adjustments to suit our readership. When starting a new mag, you THINK you know who your audience is, but it takes a little while to find out who it really is and what they're looking for.

In over...well, let's just say lots of years...of reading car and bike magazines, I've seen few, if any, that I actually thought every article was just what I was looking for. So, I read the articles that appeal to me, skip the rest and assume those were for someone else. I subscribe to a couple, buy some others on the newsstand occassionally, but never, ever, read and love every article.

As far as the spelling of the title, it gets attention, which causes people to look at the magazine and decide whether or not to buy it. George Barris supposedly coined the term "Kustom" fifty years ago. I still spell it with a 'C', but that's just me. Car Kulture Deluxe uses a 'K' in "Kulture" for the same reason, I suppose. What difference does it make? CK Deluxe is still a cool, kool, or kewl magazine.

"Rodder" didn't pass my Microsoft Word spellcheck until I added it to the dictionary. Custom Rodder, American Rodder, and Street Rodder didn't pass the Bill Gates test, but I'll probably read them once in awhile anyway. I'm a rebel like that!

That's my 2 centavos worth. [​IMG]

22. I'm sorry if that came across as constructive

23. Thanks Alan. Much appreciated.

Let the mag settle in a little bit guys. They'll be ironing out the bugs for a while.....CKD is still working at it too. Hell, even the big mags are still SCREWING up!!

24. Stoner

Stoner

25. Mike

Mike

"Ol'Skool Rodz" makes "Hot Rod Deluxe" look like "The Rodder's Journal". Very heavy on the "scene" stuff, which is ok for a scene oriented mag, I'm just much more into the cars and really not into the "scene" end of things.

The tech articles had pretty good info. I liked the cars that were featured, but the pictures chosen for print were lacking. Definately could have ditched the five pictures of Jesse James looking "cool" and replaced them with afew good shots of the overall car (a beautiful machine, by the way).

I bought the first issue mainly because there is a pretty good picture in there of my car at Vegas. Tone down the "hypster greaser dadio" attitude and lingo, and print better pictures of the cars, then this magazine could become something that I might buy on a regular basis.

I'm never gonna like the spelling of the name. "Ol' Skool Rodz"...way too "yo yo, hip-hop nit wit" lookin' for me.

26. Stoner

Stoner

Hey, Alan--

How are the sales of that first issue? And tell us what you'll do (if anything) about what folks on this board have to say about your new mag. My experience is that everyone here represents a healthy cross-section of your readers...

27. Speaking of HRD, WTF has happened to Kar Kulture Deluxe? I've either missed the last six editions or it's died and gone to Hot Rod Magazine heaven.

Anybody know?

28. Elrod

Elrod

I really like the direction of the magazine. I saw it and said "Woah. I'm buying this one!" I agree with the language. It seemed too forced. But I will be buying each issue for the same reason that I gravitate to the traditional rods at car shows. I really like looking at them, hearing their history, and getting ideas for my NEXT PROJECT!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

29. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Carps, Chopper has copies of CKH 4 sale in his shop.

They're on the wall opposite the entry next to the fridge!!!

Or get 'em Peddro on the W/E. [​IMG]

30. Plowboy

Plowboy

I just got to glance at one up at the pileup. I don't really care one way or the other about the title...after all I was just listening to "Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz" by Pretty Boy Floyd out in the garage last night. I am a child of the 80's and don't really give a shit. Obviously by my taste in music I am not a "hipster" or "scenester". If indeed the mag is full of all kinds of fancy lingo maybe I will need someone to translate it for me...Like Tommy Lee's ebonics when he was on Mtv's "Cribs". Maybe I am just a Homo though and the magazine is "da bomb", time will tell. I haven't found it for sale anywhere. Only our local cycle shop carries "The Horse" and they didn't have this mag. Give me some quality content and I will most likely buy it.