Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone heated and bent cast???????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A tub, Jan 28, 2012.

1. A tub

A tub

might be a dum question,either way i dont care, but i have some midish 40's pedal assembly(clutch and brake) in my A model(28-29) when i put it in it fitted ok with out add on pedal pads, i made my accelerator (fitted great) until i added pedal pads, now ive added my column etc , i have room to move the pedal over a bit to gain clearance for my accelerator as to not hit accelerator and brake at same time, my main question here is--- have u ever heated and bent cast, i know you can do it with steel but can u do it with cast ( pedal shafts in my case) i have access room to do it, i can access oxy/acetalene no worries, and have no worries doing it however anyone experienced in this any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated, , and yes before im told,i could just move my pedal assembly bracket, yet im trying to not have to make another one(not that itsa big deal if i have too)many thanks in advance
    A tub:cool::cool::):)

2. Are you sure they're cast and not Forged?

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NO, you can't bend CAST IRON!!---But you can bend forged,mild steel,stainless steel,chrome alloy!

4. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Old Ford pedal arms along with most suspension parts are forged,not cast.yes you can reshape them.Get them red hot,bend very slowly and let cool.

5. A tub

A tub

ok 1st up thanks all for the massively fast replys, 2nd my appologys for thinking they were cast haha, so correctly they are forged and yes i can heat and bend em from the responses i have already, im glad that i can do this solves alot of issues in an easy ,manner, anyone have a good reason not to ( as in weekness etc, being what they are, i dont think its an issue ,but would like to here comments)

6. A tub

A tub

yes i knew you could bend most steel products (in a careful manner) but stupiudly thought they may have been cast, hence me asking the question, thanks:)

7. Also if you have any concern, after you heat them and bend them, if you have a sand blasting cabinet, throw the hot parts in the sand and burry them. This will slow the cooling process and reduce the metal from becoming brittle.

8. A tub

A tub

thanks for your advice, my mistake for thinking cast, bonus for me being forged,youve definately mede me one happy hamber:D:D

whats the process for forging, i understand casting but not so much forging( excuse my stupidity here)

9. A tub

A tub

i have a friend who i know has twisted steering arms etc, i know he uses lime powder (hardware store 6-15 bucks here in australia) , i could prob get some of the blast grit no probs, and yes definately better to be safe than sorry,,,,

thank you all for your input,youve been great

are the pedals made from the same material(forged) as the stock a model-40 ford handbrake arms????? not that i need to bend it nor weld it, but looks quite similar,if not what did they make these from just to open a can of worms here ,

building my a model has been a great challenge, one which is making everything fit in a tight place haha, whats not to love:cool: