Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone heard of a Tremec 3550 Transmission ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57wagon, Dec 22, 2004.

1. 57wagon

57wagon

Has anyone used, or heard of this type of tranny?? I was looking around for a decent 4-speed manual trans for my upcoming chrysler project, and kind of stumbled across this.

I did some searching online and it seems as though it is more of a road-racing tranny, but it built tough enough to handle the motor that I am going to be using.. About 500 - 600 HP... Should be a screamer!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Do a Yahoo search....seems to be a lot of info there.

3. 57wagon

57wagon

Yeah, that's where I got most of the info that I did so far... Just curious if anyone had any experience with this trans...

Not that over kill is a bad thing, and this one is used and about 400 less than a "new" muncie 22 or similar......

4. prime mover

prime mover

yeah these have come in some of the newer mustangs, around 99 or 200 I think. I've had a few out and apart they are pretty good but if I remember the bellhousing is intergrated with front of the case, so unless your running a late model motor it wont bolt up.

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The 3550 is not the stoutest of the breed (the newer TKO is an upgraded version), but the transmission is fairly strong, has good gear selection (including an overdrive fifth gear), and there are aftermarket setups for different shifter locations. It is a successor to the Ford T&C Toploader four speed. Versions have been made for both Ford and GM applications. If this trans is in good shape, I would say it is at least as good as a Muncie.

6. 40Tudor

40Tudor

I have one of the earlier 3550's in my '40 and am happy with it overall. I've abused it a little, I suppose (I have some pretty bad wheel hop), but am running it behind a fairly mild SBC.

I used the mid-shift location, but the front one would probably be about in the same place as a '39 Ford trans. OD in mine is really tall at .68:1.

Lots of gory detail here.

It was a good solution for me as it allows a better shifter position than the WC T-5 and is stronger than the S-10 T-5. The car was already together and on the road when I did the swap, so the low impact installation was a good thing.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably spend the extra couple hundred bucks on the TKO and go for lightweight clutch and flywheel.

Isn't it the T-56 that has the integrated bellhousing?

Chris