Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have pictures of abandoned Drag Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Jun 10, 2009.

1. chopo

chopo

10 miles from my place.......... $3500

Attached Files:

rjones35 likes this.
  2. apound

apound

3 that we saved last year. The Fairlane is a factory drag car. The Comets are both Cyclones and drag cars since 65 or 66

Attached Files:

3. apound

apound

couple more

Attached Files:

4. This is Gas Ronda's '62/'63 Galaxie. I've been told it has been restored and owned by Fred Kyle. Does anyone have any current information on this car?

5. until reading this thread, i totally forgot about an old english ford (52 or 53) SBF injected drag car in a barn about 15-20 years ago when i was just a little one, this read makes me want to go see if its still there!

6. Yes it is. thanks for sharing the pic

Steve

Hosting-
    Pontiac/Buick/Olds FALL FEST Sat Nov 28, 2009 Phoenix
    www.pbofallfest.org
    12th annual Pontiac Heaven April 8-11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.pontiacheaven.org
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

7. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Hi Steve, i'm just going off the header arrangement , but is that a blown V engine he ran? Thanks , Bill

8. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

I found these a while ago i think there from Sweden but i could wrong. has anyone else seen them

Attached Files:

9. johnnynogood

johnnynogood

That Comet is so rad! I'm building one similar in style. Not common to see earlier Comet drag cars. Got any more pics? Specs?

10. damn!! someone spent some money on this at one time! It appears it was not finished??

11. Heres one in my backyard, a Dodge. (for sale);):rolleyes::D

Attached Files:

Sam peterman likes this.

12. I could be wrong but, I get a differetn impression. It looks to me like it had 2 lives. The first time it was some kind of gasser/funny car with an injected or blown engine.
    Based on the scoop and the moroso decal, it appears it had a 2nd life carburated as a bracket car.
    I've seen very cars that modified that ran a scoop like that and the decal is definately newer than the car.
    The modifications look very mid-late 60s. The scoop and decal look very late 70s/early 80s. just my observation.

Steve
    Hosting-
    www.pbofallfest.org

13. Bill,
    no, sadly by that time the car had a chev motor. Note the 4 equal exhaust headers. A Ram Air V engine would have a larger space of exhaust ports in the middle.
    Tyree, to this day, refers to himself as "Mr Pontiac" yet he has run a chevy engine since late 1968. Call it deceptive, call it lying, call it what you like. He is hardly a Pontiac man,.
    Historically, this is the last known existing funny car that did indeed run a real Pontiac engine ( early 1968 ) and I am glad to own it for that reason.
    Years ago his family wanted to buy it from me to restore it and give it back to his dad, I said " no way!". I would burn it before I would sell it to someone to put a chev motor in it.
    It will eventually end up in my Pontiac Heaven museum and may be built to race again. Right now, I am happy to have my Pontiac powered AA/Fuel Dragster and the AWB Tempest funny car.
    Steve
    Hosting-
    www.pbofallfest.org
    12th annual Pontiac Heaven April 8-11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.pontiacheaven.org

14. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

That camaro has an extremely rare Logghe Brothers front stub on it!!!!!! Were looking for one for my brothers 69

15. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Thread!
    I heard of this car in 1999 & it took til 2001 to buy it! Story was X lions car 55 chevy, Blair's straight axle, been sitting since the day Lion's closed! When you hear that you say I want it! I'll take it! Sight unseen! Well heres pic's of when I first saw it & yes you get that sick feeling in your gut when you see what you bought! But think of it! this 55 was there & ran the last day lion's was open! Car built by Blair's Speed Shop way back when! Tony Nancy did his famous cut the seat out for the shifter! A little bit of work & you have a Genuine 55 Chevy Gasser! Well maybe more than a little bit of work! Here's before & after Pics! Tks Bill

Attached Files:

16. Vid

Vid
    from Norco, CA

Kev BOTH of those cars look like they still want to RUN!

17. 55xgasr

55xgasr

Yes it was a long journey bringing that car back - but well worth it! I remember it took you a full day to dig the car out of the hole it was sitting in since '72 when it was parked next to that house in LB. Then there was the nest of mice under the back seat! You cleaned her up, took the body off the frame, blasted the frame, reworked the welds, redid the suspension front to back including the Pontiac/Olds rear and those cool ladder bars. The body took quite awhile to get right, but in the end after over a year it is spectacular. Then the 301 went in and it was finally lit off with those open fenderwell headers...yee haw! The car deserved to be rescued!

Attached Files:

18. scrape

scrape

solospeed, any plans to paint the 55 back to green? i love the straight axel set up on it... much cooler that a speedway deal....
    any pics of the willys???

19. brad2v

brad2v

Ultra cool, vividly recall seeing it at Knott's on family vacation in '81

20. necrobillygirll

necrobillygirll

wow that cars bad ass

21. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Heck.....put it on a S-10 frame! Rotflmao!!!!

22. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey!
    No made the choice of just gray primer like alot of cars back then never was fond of the green! It will stay gray for as long as I own it! Willys pics? Heres a few I have two! Tks Bill

23. 4MALS

4MALS

Heres one i am trying to save. I have known about it for 35 years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Keys in the ign! Injection. Tropheys! Wow!

25. SRVLIVES

SRVLIVES

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.... what's wrong with people! :(

26. Jay.S

Jay.S

That Pontiac is the bomb!

27. S K I P P E R

S K I P P E R

I agree the Pontiac is superb.

28. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

WHAT??????? Dude, that thing NEEDS to be driven! WAY COOL!!

29. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I kind of think that shorty Nova wagon looks well proportioned like that.

The 55 is very cool. What's the deal with it lettered "Blairs" on the door then "Solo"?

30. Here is my Fiat a few years back before I bought it. It was just sitting in the back garage since the 1970's.

[​IMG]