Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical anyone have a 32 Ford Running a Blown Flathead?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Iggys31, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Iggys31

Iggys31

My current project is a 32 5 window. I will be running a Flathead with 4-71 Blower and dual V belt pulleys. Is anyone running a 32 ford with a similar set up and a stock firewall? I want to run a mechanical fan but also want to keep the front wishbone intact (unspilt). That limits movement of the front crossmember. I also don't want to mess with the firewall. An alternative would be moving the mount for the wishbone on the K member forward an inch or so. I would rather not go there if I can avoid it. If you are running a similar set up, how is the clearance? Do you run a mechanical fan? Is your front crossmember in the stock position?

My hope is to move the radiator and grill shell as far forward on the crossmember as possible.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

2. C69A

C69A

image.jpeg Short answer is yes, I run duel V pulleys with my 4-71 in my 32, stock firewall with trimmed A image.jpeg image.jpeg front x member and stock wishbone mount.
    I am building up a triple pulley setup for a customer now using one of my intakes for a 32 will post pics when it's installed.
    Here is some pics of my old setup still with duel belts

3. Iggys31

Iggys31

what fan are you running in the 32 in the photo?

4. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I'm running a S.Co.T. on an 8BA It's a tight squeeze, it can be done. I had a wide three sheave crank pulley machined . The dizzy is a old cut down Chevy Mallory flat cap with a tach drive. The extended shaft allows for more belt room.If I were to do it again, I would use the truck water pumps and use frame mounts.
    Do you plan to run a hood?

Attached Files:

• 8ba.jpg
      8ba.jpg
      File size:
      179.2 KB
      Views:
    Iggys31, waxhead and exterminator like this.

5. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

Could you show a picture of how you did the fan mount. Thanks Joe

Iggys31 likes this.
  6. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I found a 17.5 in diameter fan and bolted it to the standard Ford mount. To adjust the belt the mount slides up and down in the aluminum idler bracket. The real bitch is the bottom radiator hoses, there is such little clearance between the radiator and the pumps and they do not line up. I have to pull the radiator off to change them. Fortunately that doesn't have to be done frequently. My grill shell is in the stock location and I can install the hood.

Attached Files:

• fan.jpg
      fan.jpg
      File size:
      136 KB
      Views:
    Iggys31 likes this.
  7. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

Thank You, Thats the cleanest way I have seen it done. Joe

8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran mine with belts the same a solidaxle did but they didn't like having their back broken in this way. In the end went to ugly green Kevlar belts which seemed ok. The first belts we used were the toothed variety and the teeth on the inner started to fall off due to being bent backwards.
    We have an 8ba in our 32 and had to trim a small bit off the ledge on the lower firewall to clear the bell housing,plus move radiator forward approx 1" . Its got a basically stock 50 merc fan and belt setup.

9. Iggys31

Iggys31

That looks like a tight fit but it is encouraging.