Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone fuel inject a flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 26, 2004.

1. I have been thinking about something different for my next car and based on the Hilborn prices for a Hemi, the flathead settup seems affordable. Anyone run it and how reliable and easy to do is it?

I dont need a tech, just experience and I know you guys have it. Is it streetable?

Sure would look cool.
    Paul

2. seems like Fat Jack or Kong Jackson did one a few years ago-I saw a pic- it was COOL....also may hav seen a pic in speedway catalog too..... also didnt Posie do one with computer and all?

3. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

speedway sells hilborn injection for a flatty.....

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    An electronic converted Hilborn in a bitchin 34 P/U

5. The settup is easy to find and like I say, not real expensive (1500 plus pumps etc.) It's a rich man's game so lets not get into the price. but seriously, how does the system run? Is it reliable or a pain?

6. Meant for the track isn't it?

7. Posies built a 'glass '34 3-window with an EFI'd Flatty. It was called the "Flathead Flier" and made all the big magazines ~5 years ago.

8. My good mates setup..good for approx.200hp.
    Ultra reliable compared to his 4 x 97 setup.

Cost afair bit, pro built..not done right, my mate basically reworked everything once he got it back...

But best feeling when i winds up and sounds glorious thru open headers...

Cheers
    MAIKI

Attached Files:

9. oh man, that looks really good. I am going to do some other homework, I kinda remember one of my flathead books had a whole section on it.

Thanks for the photos

10. more....

Attached Files:

11. ...

Attached Files:

12. titus

titus

i know a guy who injected a 671 BLOWN FLATHEAD!!! he drove it everwhere, a chopped 40 coupe with no hood. He had some fancy engineering to do to set up a good idle circuit if i remember correctly.

13. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I believe the injection setup ( electronic) on the roadster Maiki showed is an Australian built setup, done here by Mike Davidson.
    The image is of our salt car the Rea Weir Mumford 24 T. We ran Hilborn injection for a few years. Never really got it dialed in right, but the engine was a little tired when we fitted it. This was a new unit bought direct from Hilborn in the mid 90's. Even though we didn't end up getting big numbers from our engine with this setup, it sure looked the goods.
    [​IMG]

14. Assdragger

Assdragger

15. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Whodaky, Any more pix of the whole car? Looks good...

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Here's a hardware site:
    http://www.msdignition.com/
    then click on the fuel management logo at left. They sell everything needed to hook injectors into a manifold and plumb them to fuel without OEM type fuel rails or anything very hard to fab. BDS, Blower Drive Service, also has some hardware. This stuff would allow you to start with something like a 305 chevy setup and put the squirters where you need them without any excessively serious machine work. They also have the little pockets needed to insert injectors into a drilled hole in your manifold.

17. TV

TV

This,I know from alot of research, Don't try and run mechanical injection on the street.It likes wide open running and is a pain to set up for going up and down.I was going to put it on my flathead, and changed my mind.That said you can run electronic injection on the street and there are many places to get it.--TV [​IMG]

18. Hi Guys,

Flat Attack racing do EFI hilborne setups - do a search online for their site and I know they have a US distributer aswell... thats what the guy in MaiKiKi's photos is running.

Had some serious issues on the installation though trying to get it all running right. Looks good, but I've riden in carbed flatmotor driven hot rides that go just as quick and reliably as that, for a shit load less money. (that setup shown is (HILBORN STYLE EFI $3,500US).

Danny