Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone from Iowa recognizing this channeled mid 50s roadster??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SuperFleye, Oct 22, 2009.

1. 18n57

18n57

Former Iowa boy here, would like to know more about this car,too!! Looks likes waaay above average car for that time period, lots of cool, custom features...
    Thanks, Corn Fed, I tried to find county, but failed...any east Iowa guys out there??

2. According to the folks at Lillie Mae's, there weren't any other stores; so, I suspect this photo may have been taken in town. Before '74 the store was located on East Main where the bank is now located.

3. tractorguy

tractorguy

Some thoughts.........county designation on license plate is 31 which is Dubuque County in Eastern Ia.....largest city is Dubuque.......candy shop is not "Lillie Maes", it is Fannie Maes which was located in downtown Dubuque Ia. for many, many years. There is still a Fannie Mae in Dubuque but it is out at the Mall......just stopped there last week for some dark chocolate and the best fall carmel apples in the world.

This roadster may be the one pictured in an earlier thread about Moline Dragway and the Slo-Pokes car club out of Dubuque. Some of the guys in that club were Noel Maurer (sp) and Bob Maurer or Mauer. Also, Bob Willis was very prominent in hot rodding at that time and still has a small shop in Dubuque and may still be connected with Key City Window Cleaning Co.

4. tractorguy

tractorguy

Sorry........Fannie May.....not Fannie Mae candy.....still great candy.

5. fitzee

fitzee

You might be on to something.I hunted down that link and found this pic. Alot of small differents but the steering box cover(well that is what it looks like) is on both car,hard to see in the picture of the chrome fender car but there is something sticking out in the same location. same tail pipes and licence plate ID light. Could be the same car but a few years later.here`s the link

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356807&highlight=moline+dragway&page=3

Attached Files:

6. fitzee

fitzee

another pic. can`t see much in this pic but the owner is in it

Attached Files:

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I don't think this is the same car. The one in question is a real roadster. The one at the track is a coupe with the roof cut off. The car with the Slowpoke group shot has exterior trunk hinges. The one we're researching is a rumble seat.

8. fitzee

fitzee

I seen the hinges as well as the gas filler on the other car. But what it that on the front drives frame rail? Looks to be on both cars. I`m thinking the chrome fender car is a cut down coupe too. also taillight are different on both cars. I just think the drag picture could be a earlier build of this car.

9. buzz37

buzz37

10. Hal_396

Hal_396

I'll ask around. Run into a lot of old timers up here.

11. alchemy

alchemy

The initial car at the top is NOT a cut down coupe. Check the beltline. That's a dead giveaway.