Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever use Home Depot insulation?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I swear this stuff looks just like Dynamat and it has an excellent R-rating and it's a fifth of the price.
    Has anyone used it?
    Can it be used in a car or will it rot like my wisdom teeth?

2. yES

3. sawzall

sawzall

nads.. whats the stuff called? you have a link?

4. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

Yeah, I always read about this stuff on other boards, but have never seen it in the many hours/dollars I spend at Home Depot. What's it called and what part of the store do they keep it in? I've read it has a strong tar smell. How can you go wrong?

5. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Is this the aluminum-foil-with-bubblewrap type of insulation you're talking about?

6. Its a tar-backed foil roofing component. It looks to be the same thing as Dynamat. You can use it to insulate in lots of ways, house and car. I have been looking at this stuff for a while now;)

7. sawzall

sawzall

I think were talking about this shit.. called reflectix

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=cccdaddeghjldgdcgelceffdfgidgjk.0&MID=9876

but I hadnt heard about it or seen it in a store either...
    and nads hasnt confirmed that this is the stuff..

it sells for $37.95, online... is that a good price for 100 sq feet? That would certainly be enough to do most cars i think..

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Dunno, but it comes in big rolls and they have the adhesive and everything, it looks just like the same shit I dragged home for a dumb ass friend from The Turkey Rod Run.
    I mean there is a difference between Rustler jeans and Levis but, from fifty feet who can tell, except for rockabilly purists.
    I ain't spending extra on anything that they sell outta some booth at a car show whilst spewing bullcrap out of a megaphone.
    The last time I did that I ended up with some rods that were touted as being able to weld soda cans together (who needs a stack of Fresca cans piled on top of each other?), all they did was melt on my brand new Fiorucci sandals.
    I also tried that car wax that that loud mouthed dude claims can make your car fire-retardent, that shit doesn't work either, I've gotta melted '73 Bricklin to prove it.

9. That stuff is different. The stuff I am talking about is EGGZACTLY like DyanaMat.I didnt see it on that site

10. johnnygringo

johnnygringo
    from Nashville

[​IMG]

i havent but i have friends that have

they say it aint rotted yet

im gonna give it a try once it gets hotter out

11. Mutt

Mutt

If it melted a '73 Bricklin, it worked. :p

Mutt

12. Shit, I cant tell. Went back and looked again. That stuff looks like the bubble stuff.

13. bad gas

bad gas

I Have Never Used The Kind You Are Talking About From Home Depot But I Got Some Foil Backed 1/8 In Thick Foam Ins From Lowes And It Seems To Work Great. My Roof Is Black With No Headliner Except For The Faom. Absolutely No Heat.

14. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

If you mean that heavy foil,on one side,and sticky tar like stuff on the other,with a peel off cover. it's great stuff. I use the stuff,but I get it from work,as a"lunchbox bene:D fit"Sparkxx

15. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

The Home Depot site sucks from a user friendly/finding shit standpoint. I have found that it's better to go into the store and ask.

Yeah, the Reflectix is just the foil sided bubble wrap stuff. I have heard of what Nads is talking about but have not found it in the store yet. But when I do, it's on and screw the price gougers at Dynamat.

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Well good, I'll give it ago.

I swear, my '54 Chevy's the hottest car I've ever been in, and I don't mean hot as in really speedy.
    I can't believe I drove it to Vegas and back, it was like being inside a pizza oven whilst going thru West Texas. 500 miles of utter misery, the kind of misery that can only be brought on when your entire three pieceman equipment melts into one messy glob.
    You coulda made some nice sub sandwiches on the firewall.
    In my '54 the firewall is literally a firewall, it's as if Satan hisself is in the engine bay sticking it to the recently arriving sinners.

17. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

Sounds like a really nice paperweight.

You could coat your car with diamonds for the price of Dynamat. The Home Depot stuff, even it doesn't perform as well, is a better buy in my book. Plus it smells like tar!

Please keep in mind that I have no experience using this or any product for this or any other purpose.

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I have used the reflectix stuff on my 37. Great stuff and dirt cheap.
    Make sure you use a good brush on adhesive not the 3m contact spray stuff.

19. bigron

bigron

i've heard of it as well. the stereo guy's use it as well. suppose to be in the roofing section?? i've never found it though.

20. sawzall

sawzall

apparently this is not what we all want...
    yeah heres what lowes says about Reflectix®

Reflectix® is a 5/16" thick, seven layer, reflective insulation
    Two outer layers of aluminum foil reflect 97% of radiant heat. Each layer of foil is bonded to a tough layer of polyethylene for strength
    Two inner layers of insulating bubble pack resist conductive heat flow while a center layer of polyethylene gives Reflectix® high reliability and strength
    Reflectix® reflects the sun's rays in the hot summer months. It also retains interior heat and helps to eliminate potentially damaging ice dams during the winter months

21. bad gas

bad gas

The Stuff I Got From Lowes Is Foam No Tar. It Is Wrap For Hot Water Heaters.

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I did alot of research in this area before I bought Fat Mat. It's half the price of Dynamat and it's self adhesive. It's about 1/16" thick and goes down very nicely. I can't speak to how well it keeps heat out yet cause I'm not mobile yet, but I think it will work great. I paid $112 for 100 sf off ebay.

I used the foil bubblewrap stuff in my chevelle. It helped some. I hate how thick it is and the bubbles pop. Don't waste your time or money.

23. I used that stuff on my 54, works well. I want to find the name of the tar stuff........................there goes the work this afternoon, internet searches here I come:eek:

24. junkman104

junkman104

It also retains interior heat and helps to eliminate potentially damaging ice dams during the winter months[/QUOTE]

Thats what we need in Florida.

25. bad gas

bad gas

This Stuff Was 18 In Wide And 30 Ft Long For $17

26. Yes, but does it make your ass look fat?-MIKE:eek: :D

27. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

What about this kind of insulation?

[​IMG]

It comes in 4' by 6' roll, at $20 for single-sided or $30 for double sided. The cheapest place I've seen it is, surprisingly, www.calcarcover.com.

28. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Can I use that stuff to replace the insulation that goes on the underside of my front hood (over the engine)??

29. junkman104

junkman104

It sure don't look very flame retardent.

30. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I have what i think you are all talking about. it comes in a coulple different widths and is black in color with a clear film on the top of it. It is mainly used around windows, roof vents and fireplaces. i found it on the isle that had all the window stuff. I wouldnt say it work as good as dynomat but it does a decent job. The adhesive on it isnt as good as dynamat so i wouldnt put it on anything other than my floor. It works fine on my floor. seems to keep it cool inside. I dont know the name of but i hope this helps.