Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever seen one of these? Weird.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by essexrat, Oct 1, 2010.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

There really are dual overhead cam turn signals?:eek: Hell I thought I was just being a wise ass!:p

2. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

After it burns in the combustion chamber it goes thru the exhaust and lubricates the muffler bearings.....

3. scotts52

scotts52

Bet you could run water through it to increase octane level and clean combustion chamber. Heard about something like that that'd run through the vacuum line to the carb.

4. RichG

RichG

You should save that information for a different forum...:p

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My cousin and i found a Marvel mystery oiler . We took it apart cleaned it up . Than hooked it up to his Corvair intake. Started the car it sucked a pint right now . There weren't any mosquitos around :rolleyes:. never could get it to draw right. We had a good laugh and it took a couple days before his Corvair quit smoking .

6. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

If it relies on the Rythm Method to work you car could finish up pregnant! :confused:;)

7. I can imagine a use for these on engines that were splash-lubed only, or were only partially pressure-lubed. Probably after WWII there were improvements in metallugy that allowed for more durable valves, valve guides and valve seat materials. Better engine oil additives helped keep things cleaner. And when did leaded fuel become readily available? The lead acted as a lubricant for valve seats and guides.

As the engines and oils and fuels improved, there was less need for these top-end oilers. But you're right, they still look cool as hell! :D

8. 62rebel

62rebel

with the oil companies taking OUT everything we rely on to keep old engines alive, we need every advantage we can find. (and with them adding crap like ethanol to the gas!)

i wonder if you could properly regulate one of those to deliver lead substitute or octane boost when needed? random question... since you put that in the tank anyway.

9. Seen them on banger powered model A(s) at tours/meets.-Weeks

10. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

oilers like this are also used to lubricate judson superchargers. the marvel type has an adjustment and viewing glass on the top to adjust for one drop per a certain amount of time.

11. 41fordor

41fordor

Wouldn't putting a little 2-stroke oil in your gas accomplish the same thing? (And put the same carbon deposits in the chambers and valves as well).

I've seen these on the flathead boards.

12. BhamBulldog

BhamBulldog

Dad's 1940 Cadillac had a Marvel Mystery oil lubricator