Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone ever done an e-brake line lock?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loosenutNH, Apr 25, 2013.

1. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

They are correct about the solenoid burning out, and even if it didn't it would run down the battery.
    To use to just get through inspection "might" work if the inspectors are not very smart.
    Here in AZ we used to use a mechanical line lock on sand buggies to get them street legal, then the inspectors caught on and would not pass them.

2. metalman

metalman

I don't need to add to what others have said about "parking" V/S "emergancy brakes.
    We had electric Micro locks on all our tow trucks to lock all wheels during a hard winch job. One night I went home driving an old Dodge flatbed with an Olds 98 on the bed and a Buick Wildcat behind on the stinger. The E-brake didn't work very well so I set the Micro but for some reason forgot to leave it in gear. The next morning I went out to find the truck and cars missing, first thought they were stolen. Turned out they were down the street, managed to roll a block without hitting anything! Electric brake locks will not hold pressure overnight I found out so I wouldn't trust one even as a parking brake.

3. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I have two line locks on rear discs on a Dana 60 axle. They were originally intended for use as a parking brake setup and a short radius steering help (rockcrawler). As a parking brake, forget it. They will hold for a little while but the solenoid requires a voltage input....draining the battery. The current draw is relatively high so it is similar to leaving your headlights on. Use an ESTOPP, easier, better, and the ESTOPP can be used as a theft deterent....have a hidden power switch to the estopp unit. The device has an acme screw that locks in place when the motor stops...no motor power, no motor rotation, no unlock

4. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

There are certain requirements... If you search on Google it'll pop-up a list requirements for NH street rod plates. 1948 or earlier style body (can be a replica), emergency brake, turn signals, powered windshield wiper, seat belts, etc. If the car in question is the one in your avatar, I would just go with antique plates regardless (looks newer then '48 anyways).

It's certainly easier to go the Antique plate route, but it is possible to get a street rod plate without going to the state police. Certain inspection stations are able to issue the street rod certification as well. I only know of one that does it though...

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

6. rodknocker

rodknocker

On the newer cars there is an electric motor built into the caliper that turns the piston in, not the hydraulic fluid. I agree with the other guys about the seals going prematurely.

7. There's a lot of heavy equipment parking brakes that work off of a valve in the brake lines.
    Step on the brakes and throw the lever, bakes are locked. No solenoids, no voltage, no problems but not an emergency brake system.

8. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I have a Mico brake lock on my Dodge. The original e-brake on the driveshaft was next to worthless. I had no problem with the Mico except one occasion when the truck was at an alignment shop and they couldn't get it off the rack because they couldn't figure out how to release the brake lock. The toggle switch is turned off then press the pedal to release. They kept hitting the pedal and had the brakes so tight a bleeder had to be opened. Yes, the directions are on the switch.

So do they work, yes. But they are designed for temporary parking use and not a real emergency brake.

9. Mnkyboy

Mnkyboy
    from Kalama, Wa

I ended up going with this on my Jeep, its for a drift or rally car.
    [​IMG]

10. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

As others have said, electronic solenoids will overheat if used for long peroids of time, they are meant for short use while stagging or doing burnouts. Very bad idea. Do it right and you will have a greater sense of acomplishment.