Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Else Sick of "Patina"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. True but....

My 2c,

Fake Patina = crap
    Real, time weathered paint on a solid, safe reliable car that can be driven = Kool
    Primer done right on a similar, well built car that is safe and driven = Kool
    Great / beautifully painted cars that are well built and DRIVEN = Very Kool

Anyone see a similar thread here?

Build the best YOU CAN, YOUR way within YOUR affordability and TECH CAPABILITY and DRIVE `EM - to me THAT'S traditional.

Rat

2. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

When I started playing with cars in the late 50's, We couldn't afford paint. The shinny cars were built for some spoiled brat kid by daddy.

3. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

x2 !

4. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I promised myself I was going to keep out of this,but what the hell! I think of it like this;
    do you want your car to look like it would have done in the 40s/50s/60s, or do you want your car to look like it's been in a field/barn/neglected SINCE the 40s/50s/60s? To me, they are two very different things. Not everybody gave a shit about what they drove "back in the day", but these people were not car people, to them cars were just a method of transport, so they neglected them and let them rust and turn to shit. Now, would hot Rod and Kustom guys have done that? I'm not so sure.
    And yes, I am sick of patina.
    Paul

5. 4HawkRod

4HawkRod
    BANNED

Funny

I had a thread about this last month and it was closed after 5 replys.

Fake patina is pure shit

6. robleticia

robleticia

Make that 3c, well said!

7. Geez, another stupid "opinion poll" going on 7 pages with no end in site. Who gives a crap what the other guy thinks. I came here to learn about building traditional rods and not people pissing up a rope. What a waste of bandwidth. I guess the only reason the mods haven't closed this thread is that they are the only people in the garage actually building something? Looks like the H.A.M.B. really means Have Any More Bullshit?

8. chronisterracing

chronisterracing
    from N.Il.

The good thing that has come out of the patina trend is that people are more focused on the mechanical, engineering and driving than the paint. I think that since the 70's too many people have been focused on the paint and ignored the the importance of the chassis, suspension and unique engineering.

But then again I hate body work but love building everything else.

9. 60smon

60smon
    from oregon

I find patina silly, I'd rather see a car beign cared for and preserved.

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by 60smon [​IMG]
    like it both ways, body and paint by trade but like the patina whammy look too, my 66' C10 is original with a little spot prime here and there and i love it![​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Fix the damn rust... :eek:

The good thing is that i bought my truck from the original owner and although beat, its original drivetrain is still in daily use. Ive got another cab should i find time to de-rust it someday ;)

10. Mac_55

Mac_55

And you just burnt up 4 minutes of wrench turning time to post a reply in a thread that you are bitching about getting longer ..HA HA HA HA!!!

11. Clark

Clark

More and more the HAMB is turning into an old ladies bitch fest.

Build a car and post pictures....
    Do a tech post......
    Help someone out....

If I wanta hear bitchin I'll just listen to my wife....

Wha !!!! Wha!!!! Wha!!!!

BTW evrything we do is fake! We build cars to look like they were built in the 40's and 50's. When are you gonna start calling cars that weren't built back in the day fake?? They are!

Get over yourself!
    Clark

12. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

13. Gator

Gator

Go Clark!!!

14. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

yea what he said ,"clark" long time ago in the hamb land thats what i was looking for build tech,car show pic's,art show & people with that in mind ,now it's about a fashion show & who has what ! build it ,show us and quit bitchin' !!

15. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Original patina is very cool, but faking it... pretty lame.

What i'm really sick of is the period correct/traditional nazi's. What happened to building hot rods to make them perform? The whole super traditional car movement has gone too far with $1500 32 grill shells and $500 heavy axles. Some people are missing the point of building hot rods.

16. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Last nite in Scottsdale a patina lookin '54 chevy truck sold for $62,000.
    Iam real tired of this sheeeeeet too.

17. michaelmoore

michaelmoore

paint or no paint i will drive it to death.

18. cozee

cozee

Sweet! So now I can join the band wagon of using their sale prices as a basis for evaluating the value of my AD and ask more for it!!!!

Well, isn't that why old iron cost more these days?????!!!!!!! :D

And why does the automotive genre insist on calling it freaking "patina". I always thought that was a home decorating term that women and limp wrists use!!!!! I mean it ranks right up there with "Faux"!!!! Can't we simply man up and call it faded paint? Or rust?

Really now, "patina" simply means that one doesn't have the skills and or the means to get a good finish.

I guess calling it "patina" makes it worth more, eh?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  19. moefuzz

moefuzz

Patima = girly word

20. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

If you don't like patina, paint your car and make a nice show car out of it. because that's what I'm seeing alot of on the hamb these days. I like hot rods not show cars.

21. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I think seeing patina on a car is neat and its eye catching but at the same time it makes me cringe.

I think its more of "fad" thing now. Personally; i'd much rather see a car that has been found, stripped down, and given a decent paint job. If you want to keep it a flat color that resembles its original color; thats even better. I hate to see them in their original condition so they can just rust away even more. In an environment like ours; if you don't keep bare metal covered; the car is going to rot away and it is going to do so quickly. Personally; i would be perfectly fine with someone taking a barn find to the shows for 1-2 years after finding it but after that i'd much rather see it preserved for many years to come.

No one here is stating that they have to be shiney and pretty looking. you can still keep it rustic looking. flat or matte paint gives a really nice old school/traditional look while preserving the car for many years to come. That's what we're planning to do with the Plym we have

Don't get me wrong; i love the look of "old" but unfortunately i'd also much rather strive to preserve the car and keep it around for many many years rather than just let it rot away for the sake of "cool"

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  22. Naturally occuring patina is fine. Those who recreate it are right up there with the RR (rat rod... oooooo I said it..) word. My old signature used to be: "Patina is the new ghost flames".

Bob

23. "Patina" sounds like a fucking word from antique road show. Real patina is cool but why jump through hoops to fake it?

24. white64

white64
    from Maine

I'm with Isettajohn... If I wanna drive a car with a corn and cucumber seed turd on the hood, so what!?

We should build what we want, not what they think someone else will, you won't please everyone, and some will hate you for trying to! Some won't like the engine you put in your car, they won't like the color you painted it.. IF YOU PAINTED IT, they wont like the color of the pinstripe, or won't like the pinstripe or won't like that you didn't pinstripe it, they won't like you! Won't like red wheels, but will love lime green ones. Who cares!?

25. It's always been funny to me when someone will perpetuate lots of rust on their car, which they claim to love, insuring it's early ruin....and have the balls to call it patina. Rust is neglect, NOT patina.

26. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

to give it the "old" look while preserving the car and protecting it from the elements. Not everyone lives in California, Arizona, Utah, etc where its dry, dry, dry all year round. Here on the east coast we have extreme weather for every season. Our 50 plym had orig paint on it, was really awsome looking in its original condition..BUT...we couldnt keep it that way and the collector we bought it from knew and understood that and he wanted it to go to someone who was going to preserve it so it would LAST.

unless you have a controlled environment garage to keep your ride in then not everyone can keep orig patina cars around. at the rate our Plym was going (the paint was literally fallign off the car leaving bare metal), it would've been rotted away beyond fixable within the next 2 years

27. big bad john

big bad john

......Ditto.......

28. Deuces

Deuces

That's old news already!! Like I mentioned on another post... I would have bid no more than 2 grand on it...

29. OK this is like arguing about fake boobies or real boobies....some of you are missing the points , they are still boooooobies enjoy!

30. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I drive a 38 Buick that has under gone extensive work including the complete lower 6" of the body and a new frame. Everything that you can't see has been painted with POR 15 and Imron. The outside though is something else, All new metal has under gone a bleach treatment and left to rust, then a yearly treatment of WD-40 makes it look just like it did when I dragged it out from under the tree that it had slept under for 15 years I have many other shiny cars, but this one gets just as much attention at the shows.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    There is a reason that they make chocolate AND vanilla ice cream!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.