Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Or Bad Bob, or Groucho....................................:D

2. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

This reminds me of something. Just about every time I take my '55 for a cruise through town someone recognizes my car. For example, just this past weekend, I took the car to the local family owned hardware store and when I walked out, there were three older fellas standing at my car. I always love these moments, especially when guys take a trip down memory lane telling the COOLEST stories. One of them said "I remember seeing a hispanic fella cruising a car like this here in Taylor yeeaaars ago, he always wore a red bandana..." That was MY GRANDPA!!! It almost brought me to tears but man I'll tell ya, I put me on cloud nine! I'm lucky enough to have a car with such history that just so happens to be a 1955 2 door post

Attached Files:

3. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Rad recount Boob.....
    It's cool to just stand back and watch people enjoy your car in a parking lot. My wife took her 55 Olds to a doctors appointment once and she found a note on the windshield when she came out. First thought of course was someone hit the car and left insurance information..
    But the note said. We really enjoyed seeing your car. It reminded us so much of the one we had and enjoyed so much. Those were wonderful times. Thanks so much for bringing back the good memories!

Better than any compliment at a car show............

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

I want to thank you for starting this thread. I've read, and re-read the whole thing. I used to think that there was nothing of my Dad's that could be sold. When he was diagnosed with Altzheimers, perspectives changed. 10 years of Dr. bills, and very little insurance led to a 50 year collection of T's and A's being sold....didn't have a choice. My sisters father-in-law bought all the 26-7 "T" stuff he could (that was my Dad's favorite) He stuck it away in a barn and has not done anything with it since. I recently had to liquidate my stuff and relocate do to the economy...you do what you have to when you have a family. I now live 15 miles from my sisters father in law, and I have looked in the barn at my Dads old "t" stuff. My sisters father-in-law said that I could get it all back if I wanted it.....I still am having trouble with some of the memories those parts bring back....so we will see.

On the other hand, when my sister turned 16, Dad gave her a 1965 Galaxie 500 drop top. She LOVED that car and drove it all through school. When she turned 20 she decided she needed something more "practical". Dad said she could do what she wanted with the galaxie, and after agonizing for weeks over it, she traded it in for something more "practical". For 13 years after that, I heard nothing but crying from her....because she sold it. Well, one day I found her car. It had been in a barn for 11 of those years with a worn out engine. It still had the registration card still in her name. I told the guy who owned it the history of the car, and he practically gave it to me.($550.00) I dragged it home and called my sis...and said,"come and get your car". She still has it, still not running,but it has lasted through our fathers (and mothers) death, her failing health, bad economy, raising two kids, and making a major move....so I doubt it will ever get sold again. Last night I was talking to her husband about getting it going, and he agreed it was time.

5. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

For sure! It's one thing to have a car that draws a crowd or makes a magazine, but to have one that makes people smile with the thought of great memories is priceless!

6. Yep! I've always had more than one car,and most of the time,one of them is my daily driver! I'd have three if my wife would let me get another one...

7. 61falcon

61falcon

my falcon, my brother and i restored it together. neither of us had the funds to build a car on our own. so we found a car we both wanted and restored it together. cant put a price on the good times we had and the feeling the first time we fired the engine, open headers of course. we bought the car in '91. i still have the car, other cars have since passed through our garages. but the falcon is here to stay. the best part is my wife feels the same way about the car. she wouldnt let me sell it if i ever wanted to.

dave

8. bigs merc

bigs merc

I can't even imagine waking up in the morning, looking out my window and not seeing my merc parked in the driveway. I LOVE this car:)

Attached Files:

9. hemifarris

hemifarris

Wrong !!! This car has been in my family since early 1959 when I was 14. I went with my Dad the day he bought it. I drove it to high school in 1962 at age 17 (while my 348 powered '40 Ford tudor sedan had the trans replaced) and I still own and drive the car today.
    NOT FOR SALE........EVER!

Attached Files:

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

^
    that is one badass car (even with the tinted windows...)

love the black with black wheels and black walls.

11. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks.......actually the windows are barely tinted. For some reason the background in the photos make the glass look darker. I'm not a fan of dark glass either.This picture gives a better idea of the tint as you look through both the backglass and windshield. Click the picture to enlarge; click twice for full size.......Mike

Attached Files:

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

awesome. gorgeous car.

13. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

It took 35 years from the time I knew I wanted to do this to get to this point, and I have a 12 year old son who is captivated by the car. I hope it is not only a vehicle to my dreams, but a way to keep my son and I close during the teen years and beyond. I envision the day when I give up driving duties and my kid takes over. I really hope this becomes a family heirloom.

[​IMG]

14. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

are you talking about the Frank Bush that maybe had a 56 Nomad wagon??? he lived in/near Columbus--maybe in Stromsburg. i'm the guy that sold him the Nomad back in '68. how did he die??? sorry to hear it. 40fordtudor

15. nutajunka

nutajunka

As far as cars being passed down for generations, it just doesn't work in my family. My grandfather had two wives, and 7 kids with each. Kept them separated by the river that ran between the town, so his mind wasn't traditional and the two familys knew of each other. My father was a rolling stone and changed cars like he changed his pants. But there was alot of nice cars along his way that I would have loved to keep, but he did and lived his life his way so what can I say. I did keep my 56 chevy stepside for 13 years till offers for it got me annoyed. Always really liked my cars, but never fell in love with them, saved that for the females. Haven't hung onto one of those for very long at a time also. Maybe it's in the jeans...?:p

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Send it to me when ya find it......:D

17. Nope! The 1st person thats shows up with 1/2 of what I got in it....owns it!

18. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great Story!!! Glad to hear that your sister got her car back. Keep us posted on your progress with getting it back on the road!

19. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

Great story, Keep us posted!

20. What? Groucho's not a Chainer? My god, i never would have guessed :eek:

As for Rad Robert, jury's still out

21. No but he did get a pretty lucrative job in the steel industry when he was 24, well over 6 large a year and lived at home

Don't think he is seriously in the market. As much as he has regretted the sale, he tells me "you can't go home again". I know exactly what he means

Come on Court you tried to unload that pig on me in a trade a couple of years ago :D ;)

22. bobjob55

bobjob55

way back when i was younger,,, used to sell /trade cars and motorcycles all the time.. always figured i'll get another.. now,, at 56 and with a few health problems,, things are getting a little harder to just replace.. but still if the price was right,, and it moved me ahead on my toys,,, sure... i'd trade up.. if it was a really cool car that i could drive away..

23. awoo23

awoo23

its admirable that you guys have such prized possessions. I don't own any possession i wouldn't be willing to part ways with...

24. Will you throw in your Billetproof Trophy with the sale? :D

25. I have two one is OT 1962 Landrover and one is my 1937 Chev truck. The Landrover was my Dad's and it is the vehicle that he taught me about working on cars with. I remember helping him do stuff on it when I was a kid. I have thought about selling it because I could sure use the room and I don't know when I will ever get to rebuilding it but everytime I do my heart just sinks so I don't think it will ever go.

The Chevy is also because of my dad. It was the first real Hot Rod/Custom build I had ever done and I worked on it with my dad as well until he passed away. He was a British car guy (MG's and obviously the Landrover) but he never hesitated to help or be a part of the build even when I was not around (we worked on it at my parents). There are a number of one off handmade parts that my dad made on the truck and no amount of money in the world can ever get those or the memories of spending time with my dad back. I can't say for sure if there is enough money to buy it as it has not and probably will never happen but I really can't see myself ever getting rid of it.

[​IMG]

26. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

My OT '78 Ford pickup. I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money. Too much camaraderie was shared between me and my family while building it to ever let it go.

27. I would sell any car I have for the right price, hell I already have. I got rid of "Dyno" Don Nicholsons '64 Comet and a Bob Ford '63 Lightweight Galaxie years ago. All of them are just sweat and metal, I build 'em because I like to build 'em and I sell 'em (if the money is right) because I like to see people enjoy 'em. I don't intend to sell any of my old cars at this moment but I'm not gonna fool myself, someone wanted any of 'em bad enough and it would be theirs.

I would sell everything I own (at any price) if it was needed to support my family though, the Lightweight went down the road when my 1st child was born so my wife could stay at home with her.

28. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

This is what I was hoping others would share on this thread. As I stated in the beginning, there might be situations forcing an unwanted sale as happened here. But sometimes life can give us back that special car. Great story that I hope you will continue to share with us. Thank you for making this thread very worthwhile!
    Originally Posted by No Clue... [​IMG]
    I want to thank you for starting this thread. I've read, and re-read the whole thing. I used to think that there was nothing of my Dad's that could be sold. When he was diagnosed with Altzheimers, perspectives changed. 10 years of Dr. bills, and very little insurance led to a 50 year collection of T's and A's being sold....didn't have a choice. My sisters father-in-law bought all the 26-7 "T" stuff he could (that was my Dad's favorite) He stuck it away in a barn and has not done anything with it since. I recently had to liquidate my stuff and relocate do to the economy...you do what you have to when you have a family. I now live 15 miles from my sisters father in law, and I have looked in the barn at my Dads old "t" stuff. My sisters father-in-law said that I could get it all back if I wanted it.....I still am having trouble with some of the memories those parts bring back....so we will see.

On the other hand, when my sister turned 16, Dad gave her a 1965 Galaxie 500 drop top. She LOVED that car and drove it all through school. When she turned 20 she decided she needed something more "practical". Dad said she could do what she wanted with the galaxie, and after agonizing for weeks over it, she traded it in for something more "practical". For 13 years after that, I heard nothing but crying from her....because she sold it. Well, one day I found her car. It had been in a barn for 11 of those years with a worn out engine. It still had the registration card still in her name. I told the guy who owned it the history of the car, and he practically gave it to me.($550.00) I dragged it home and called my sis...and said,"come and get your car". She still has it, still not running,but it has lasted through our fathers (and mothers) death, her failing health, bad economy, raising two kids, and making a major move....so I doubt it will ever get sold again. Last night I was talking to her husband about getting it going, and he agreed it was time.

29. glockkf

glockkf
    from st louis

Made My wife a 65 chevy II for her 30th bday. It was a huge suprise. SHE WILL NEVER PART WITH IT. Me first, then the house, the dog, then the baby girl. She wrote it down so I would remember.

sorry pic is with motor out and in process of narrowing and tubbing

30. glockkf

glockkf
    from st louis

Ok I dont know how to upload a file. OOOOPPSSS :eek: