Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody work without a garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrible Tom, Sep 27, 2011.

1. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

if you're old enough to have a grandkid, why don't you have a garage?

2. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Im with you on the heat and humidity part, IT SUCKS down here in deep South Texas!!!!

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Hey Tom, I feel your pain...
    Never had a garage in high school, so worked out in the cold also....(Yep, in good Ol' Wisconsin)
    In later years when I was farming (17 years of it) I also didn't have a shop/garage to work on anything....and worse yet, not a level spot to do anything. Working on/under a combine in the gravel in cold weather sure sucks......
    BUT !!! Taddaaaaa.....now I am retired, and we bought a small home, that has a 24x36 three car garage. I borrowed extra money to make it into a full shop...insulated, 220 amp service, and the whole caboota.....and I LOVE it....
    Hang in there bud, you will get in one soon hopefully!
    Cheers..........

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to read that again after reading comments on it.

About 18 years ago I was living in a rock house about 3/4 of a mile back in the field from where I live now and was driving the 48 to work in the middle of the winter with lexan windows held in by screws. My clutch went out in below 0 weather and I drove it home, jacked up on blocks and threw a pair of big tarps over it and stuck the 500 watt halogens under it. with the help of the two outside cats I changed the clutch in record time and it was fairly comfortable until I crawled back out from under the tarp. That was the same winter I let the truck idle in the driveway all night one night because I was afraid it wouldn't start in the morning in -20 weather. I bought an engine heater that afternoon after work and plugged it in the rest of the winter.

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

[​IMG]

Yup. My '51 doesn't fit in my shop. Had to take everything from the doors forward off the car to get it to squeeze in - and then I had no room to move around in there.

6. fuzzface

fuzzface

when i met my wife, i had a 1 car garage and 3 cycles in the house. i did alot outside.

in 94 i built a 40x100 toybox, put in 2 lifts and in 2002 i built a 40x88 addition on it because i had no room to move. well guess what i've been doing the last 3 days. Yep, working outside in between the rain under the truck trying to fix and run new brakelines because i can't get in the sheds. :(

wife said no to a third shed until i put an addition on the house. i can't afford to anymore with the economy and my health problems(improving) now anyways but she did say i can bring the 56 harley hummer in the house for the winter to tear it down. :) maybe by spring i can work full time again.

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Damn, I KNEW this was gonna be a good thread. I haven't even had to tell my stories yet, 'cause it's so much fun hearing other guys' and tales of their LOVELY, PATIENT wives! LOL

Oh, and YEAH. Gear oil + carpet = STINK!

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I used to build my cars behind the garage and under the swing set that had a large tree growing beside it,had to work around the rain but got alot done out back. One year (1985) I put a couple tarps above the swing set so I could work on my 53 olds since it was a rainy spring like this year and I wanted it running,I would get them running out back and then do the brakes inn the driveway.

9. 4307

from K-town

deleted

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  10. 4307

from K-town

deleted

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  11. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Good lord man, don't use the R*t-R*d word on here - and you need to do an intro before they come get ya and hang you from the rafters of their teeny tiny shop.

Seriously. First post, says the R word twice and posts o/t ride pictures... That's gotta be some kind of record! lol.

(Welcome though, from just a little south of ya).

12. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Oho Oho.U guys are slippin..

13. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Never let me slip, 'cause if I slip, then I'm slippin' . But if I got my niner, then you know I'm straight trippin.... Oh wait.
    Wrong thought.

I Feel ya. Im lucky enough to have a spot my project will fit into, but i gotta move it outside to do anything to it. and the work on my daily driver is all laying in gravel.

14. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Used to , but haven't for years. I think I'd give it up if I had to go back to working on cars outside...especially in the winter.

15. Old&Low

Old&Low

My daily (and ONLY) driver in 1972 was a '40 Ford Coupe. Clutch went out one day on the way home from work, had to pull the tranny that night in the driveway while it was snowing so I could get to work the next morning. Still, a great memory to look back on, and if you have to work in the snow, what better way to do it than under a '40! BTW, for years my wife's best 'coffee table' was a Goodyear Bluestreak mounted on a 15"x15" American 5 spoke under glass!

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've been working in my drive way, since I lost my friends shop. It's hard, but stuff gets done. I gotta plan for the weather. Luckily it hasn't rained much this year and the weathers getting cooler.

17. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

she got the house she wanted, I lost the shop space. totally feel you.

18. 4307

from K-town

Point taken

19. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I have to work outside, it sucks. No garage. I really want something up for the winter even if it's a tarp covered frame. Some of my driveway projects:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once it starts looking like this my wrenching on cars is all over for the season:

[​IMG]

I don't even have a good place to store tools. Everything is sitting in the trunk of a Chevy Celebrity that doesn't run. I built a shed, still need to put the finishing touches on it to weather proof it. I want to make it so I can at least rebuild carbs and starters and work on other small projects. So far I've spent about 8 bucks on building it. Now if only I can build a 1 car garage for the same amount :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

20. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I built my '48 Chevy p/u on a gravel parking pad behind my house in 1998. I eventually got a tarp garage to park it under, but the build itself was out under the sky.

When we moved a few years ago the house we bought had an old 12 x 20 garage. I was ecstatic...I finally had a place to work in! That feeling didn't last long as I found I had no room to work once my Essex was parked inside. So, last summer I built a 20 x 22 dedicated workshop. It has a 9' ceiling, 100-amp 240V electrical service, and a perfectly flat and level floor. Never again will I have to brave the elements to work on the hotrod. :)

21. k9racer

k9racer

I worked outside for about 12 years.. I built several hot rods a few motor cycles. I the started round track racing and used my folks back yard a headquaters.. The work area was under a large tree in the dirt . It had great limbs for hooking a chainfall for engine changes.. The trees trunk was great for bending roll bar tubing.. Some weeks I was not able to race because it rained and I could not work on the car.. Night work was with one trouble light. Because of the tree I named my business """"Shade Tree Automotive Engineering""" Yes that is the name on the license.. And yes I still work outside on a concret pad on junk out parts cars and dirty projects.... Bobby..

22. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Worked outside when I first got married. It is too hot and humid here in the summer time. :(
    Finally bought a home and built a brick garage to match the house.

[​IMG]

Ran out of room ... so I cut down 119 trees, dug up the stumps and planned on a another 30X50.

[​IMG]

Then I came to my senses and said " I am 63 ... and do not need another shop "

So I work outside on occasion ... and YES ... the light is a LOT better :D :D

23. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

First thought: wife talked him out of it. lol.

24. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

You do not know my wife :) :)

She did say why all this work and QUIT without building a shop .

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've got a garage, but my OT car is stored in there and it's only a one car garage, so not big enough to do much in. My Austin was built in a canopy out back, and like last winter, the next phase of the build will be done in the canopy with a plywood floor and a space heater to make things bearable.
    I'd go stir crazy if I couldn't continue car work in the winter, and I'm too old to work in the driveway in miserable, wet and cold weather.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  26. yeah im there also my shoebox sits on the driveway in front of the little block building thats supposed to be my garage @20x20 but its soo full of stuff (my 57 among other crap) i can barelly get in ...YEAH its my own fualt.... being a damn car crap hoarder

this is another reason (excuse) that my shoebox has been mine for over a year and it still isnt running /drivin i dont mind working on it in the rain but im too damn old to work on it in the snow

27. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

My wife is getting stationed at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo TX so we'll be out there first week of December. We already own a house at Lake Nasworthy out there, and I love San Angelo and can't wait to get back into our own home, but it doesn't have a garage.

I'm not especially looking forward to working on the car outside, but fishing off the deck 30 feet from my back door will make up for any frustrations I build up from rolling around on the gravel driveway... I hope.

28. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

If you have to paint your car outside the only time to do it is just after sunrise because the air will be still, just take a water hose and wet the ground area where the painting will be done and then move the car there after doing so. We even shot enamel like this.

29. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

When my neighbors see me out working on my stuff they haven't ask for any of my beer, But for some reason they always ask when I am moving.;)

30. macs67

macs67
    from oregon

where there's a will there's away, i have a FORD again life is good.

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      327.4 KB
      Views: