Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody make VIN # plates??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffrob, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jeffrob

jeffrob

Need something stamped in stainless or something? It's for my motorcycle, not even sure if it is legal to stamp your own VIN plates?????

If you know of a place or person that can do this, post away, trying to tie up all the loose ends before Gaytona Bike Week.

2. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

you are going to take a big risk with any stuck on stamped vin tag in daytona.

3. squirrel

squirrel

the state of Arizona makes (sticker) VIN tags, and they're legal! Perhaps Florida has a similar thing.

4. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I've heard that the authorities actually walk around and try to look for "suspicious" stuff like this at numerous events.

5. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

most states have stickers for reisued vin#'s that have the info and state seal on them.

a stamped stuck on tag is very shady in the cops eyes at these events.

6. jeffrob

jeffrob

I have the cheap looking sticker, I wanted to pull the sticker off and just rivet a small plate to the neck where the sticker used to be.

Or, if anyone knows where to buy the number & letter stamps, I will just stamp them into the frame before I paint...........

7. squirrel

squirrel

The problem with doing neat stuff like that, is that to the authorities, it appears that you're a thief screwing with the VIN on a stolen vehicle.

Sometimes you gotta put up with the way the system works....even if it makes your bike look crappy.

8. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Not only is it illegal it isn't necessary. If you have changed frames for example when you purchase the frame you will get an MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin) document along with it. The numbers on this frame will obviously be different then the one ones on your stock frame. You need to go to your DMV and apply for what is known as a Special Construction title. The name may vary from state to state but as far as I know all states have such a title. Your new title will be issued with the new frame number as well as the old engine number. Now if you bought an old frame say at a swap meet or form some private guy you will need a notorized document stating that you purchased it form him etc. If this is the case you might recieve a little more flack but it is still legal if you have the documents notorized.

Newer bikes such as HD's have a stickeron the steerign head or neck with an embossed vin number but it is also stamped on the fame in another location or sometimes right under the sticker.

Same goes if you do a engine swap, aftermarket cases etc. I do this about 4 or 5 times a month. Now the unfortunete thing is a lot of dirtbags know this too. They will steel your bike destroy the frame and stock engine cases put the guts form the origianl motor in the aftermarket cases put the whole ball of wax together and go get a 100% legal title from DMV.

9. jeffrob

jeffrob

I will peel the sticker tomorrow and see if the numbers are under it. I have been pulled over by the police, I don't have a speedometer, the bike is over 9 feet long, no turn sigs, horn etc etc, I pull out my registration, insurance etc. the cops don't even bother looking at it, they just want a closer look at the bike! ......... knock on wood, I will probably get a ticket tonight for typing that.

10. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

around town and stuff like that cops dont know any better. i have ridden some of my bikes with my other bikes plates and cops dont know the diffrence but at an event where bike theif is so high the cops know more and look for these things.

*********DO NOT PEEL THE STICKER OFF ********
    If you peal the sticker off you might as well throw out the tittle and reg to the bike because it is now altered and will get flaged and impounded if a cop checks it.

11. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Slag is 100% correct on this. If you peel that sticker off your just giving them an invitation to drag your bike to the inpound yard until they get it straightened out. I had some yobo of a customer who didn't like the way the sticker looked on his 03 Road King. New Jersey's finest towed the bike. It took him over two months to get it out of the inpound yard.
    Usually the numbers are stamped in to the neck but without knowing the year and model of the bike I can say for certin.

if this thing is over 9 feet long with a stock frame what are you running for a frontend or have you extended the swingarm?

12. jeffrob

jeffrob

It's an aftermarket frame, 40 degree rake, 7 degree trees, about two inches off the ground, it goes straight real good, the twisty West Virginia Turnpike makes your life flash before your eyes. I have owned bikes with just the numbers & letters stamped into the frame. If a cop ran the VIN #'s, all the stuff would match up, insurance card, name on drivers license, registration card etc etc, how would they know if the frame manufacturer used a stamp or a sticker?

13. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

how would they know if the frame manufacturer used a stamp or a sticker?[/quote]

1. They have a little magic book that gives all those details, pictures of rivets used by the factory, etc.

2. A lot of the Daytona cops that look for this stuff are motorcylists or specialize in checking vehicle numbers. They are trained to know right from wrong. I know a guy that used to do this for the Kansas Highway Patrol inspection stations. He was very sharp on fake numbers. The Daytona cops really do go up and down the street looking for funny numbers. They do confiscate bikes from people, it isn't a rumor. You'd probably get away with the gamble. What is your bike worth? That is how much you are betting. I'd stay legal, and especially where you plan on going. I do understand the pain of ugly #'s, though. I have a bike I'm getting ready to build that will have an ugly riveted on KS id number. Ugh. But it'll be mine, and they can't take it then.

14. jeffrob

jeffrob

1. They have a little magic book that gives all those details, pictures of rivets used by the factory, etc.

2. A lot of the Daytona cops that look for this stuff are motorcylists or specialize in checking vehicle numbers. They are trained to know right from wrong. I know a guy that used to do this for the Kansas Highway Patrol inspection stations. He was very sharp on fake numbers. The Daytona cops really do go up and down the street looking for funny numbers. They do confiscate bikes from people, it isn't a rumor. You'd probably get away with the gamble. What is your bike worth? That is how much you are betting. I'd stay legal, and especially where you plan on going. I do understand the pain of ugly #'s, though. I have a bike I'm getting ready to build that will have an ugly riveted on KS id number. Ugh. But it'll be mine, and they can't take it then.[/quote]

I guess i'll leave the ugly sticker on the neck and be thankful that I don't live in a state where they make you put that big ass inspection sticker on the fork slider....... now those are real ugly! What about doing an old name plate that is magnetized, like the old Schwinn emblem on the bicycle necks? Go to Gaytona, leave the magnet at home.........!!????