Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Anybody know this '36? (at pileup 08)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Snapped a few, though much to my dismay blurry, photos of this cool custom at the HCPU this october. I didn't get to see the owner, only on his way down the road so i couldn't ask about it. Maybe he's a hamber? I really like this thing and wondered about it's history. Some reason i dont' haev a shot of the engine. I think the sign in the window says "don't laugh, it's paid for" :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brandi

Brandi

I love that car. It's even better in person.

3. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Yeah, i forgot all about it! It is a neat car in person. I was going through my photos tonight and don't remember how i hadn't posted this earlier. I wish i knew my camera was being dumb and blurry. Know anything about it (the car that is)?

4. Rikster

Rikster

Here are a few more photos I borrowed from the hamb some time ago.
    I think somebody on here then mentioned he had spoken to the owner, and that the Full story would come out soon... never heard anything about it again. Would love to know more.

Ron from Pyrocars wrote this about the car on a different post last year
    The owner said a guy from CA was driving it through town back in the 50's.
    It broke down and he sold it to a guy in town.
    Then he bought from that guy about 30 years ago and has had it in his barn since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008

5. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

Thats the shit gas tax

6. That thing is SICK.

7. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

that car is bad ass.lets gets some more info on that

8. Muttley

Muttley

Cool car, I especially like the seat cover............you can fart right on Donald Ducks head.

9. weez

weez

I saw it from the Chili's parking lot going up the onramp at night under the streetlights and it gave me goosebumps. Me and Bob Bleed and Johnny Cola were doing our annual bullshit for hours outside of Chili's thing, after the Pileup. We know how to have a good time. Anyway, that car rules.

10. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

love the skirts... that thing is sweet.

11. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

It's been at the pile up two years in a row now, it parked way in the back the first year and came in pretty late...I don't think many people saw it. It was well displayed this year though.

12. titus

titus

i think the car is bad ass, but i hate the top, dunno, a little to puffy for me. but still cool.

jeff

13. Hellfish

Hellfish

Rikster has the gist of the story right. That car showed up late at the 2007 Pileup. I think that was it's first trip in decades. It's a real, untouched survivor. If you look through the HAMB for the 2007 Pileup coverage, you will find more detailed stories about the car from people who talked to the owner then... but no had much more info than Rikster.

14. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I've got the feeling I've seen that car in black and white somewhere... I'll look through my old pictures and see if I can find it.

15. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

OMFG!!! As much as I love a nice shiny custom, I wouldn't change a thing on that car, top & all. That has survived this long unscathed. You just don't see a survivor like that...

16. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

the guys goes by "Frosty"

17. 53chevy

53chevy

Absolutely Awesome! Chromed dash and all the classic Custom touches. I'm sure that top was snug at one time. That must have been one sight, it looks to be a dark bluish color maybe and the top being black, to see cruising down the street in it's Pristine condition. Unlike the white Carson tops.

Ken

18. Wowcars

Wowcars

I was taking pics of the car and the owner was just getting in to leave this year. This was about he wanted to tell me, also. All I can add is that the guy it broke down on was the original owner of the custom (I dont know if he did the work or not) but when it broke down in the Midwest, he traded it for a new car, the current owner bought it from the dealer and put it in his barn.

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Last year, people would come up to me and all they would say is "Have you seen it?" I ran back to the back to check it out. It definitely rules.

20. phukinartie

phukinartie

Too bad boyd is dead he could fix that car up !!! kidding !kidding! kidding !

21. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

that's just wrong :D

Yeah, i am hoping someone has some old photos of it. Amazing story!! I sure hope the owner leaves it as it sits....wish it had new cloth wires to make it look "old timey" but either way it's great stuff! Just plain awesome.

22. phukinartie

phukinartie

yeah man the tires kinda freak me out a little even in town. i would try for same type but less checked! my wifes wagon in avitar, my not be era perfect tires but dont worry me @ fwy speeds

23. Degreaser

Degreaser

I remember when it came rolling in during the 07 show. Every head in the place turned to watch it drive by. Everyones jaws dropped. There was a crowd of people walking behind it waiting for it to park. It was my show favorite for sure. I bet I spent a solid half hour looking it over.

24. Deadbird

Deadbird

The car belongs to a friend/club mate of Waldo39 on the HAMB. I don't think the guy is on here but he oughta be. Really nice guy with a lot of good stories. Waldo introduced me to him in the hotel parking lot at the Pile Up. The name escapes me though.

25. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I was at the 07 show when the car rolled in as well. I have to agree it is way cool in person. This is one of those cars that you just KNOW is dripping history. I spent a lot of time soaking it all in.

26. Very cool!I don't think I'd drive on those dry rotted tires though.

27. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I love that gas tax sign!

28. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

bumpin' for ya'll that haven't seen it and may have some info.

29. Bull

Bull

30. Deadbird

Deadbird

Aw crap! I need to win the Lotto or somethin'.