Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody know deco dash knobs & dome lamps - 30's map light, lighter, dome lamp ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, Jul 8, 2012.

1. So I'm trying to finish my "low budget" daily driver 42 Ford pickup and scrounging for some period knobs/switches to use on the dash.

A local longtime hotrodder invited me to dig through his stash of leftovers in exchange for a cold 18 pack.

I picked up a few that I think will work on the 42 and at the bottom of a box I came across these two gems. These are too great to put in my daily, I think I'll save em for my dads 32.

The cigarette lighter has a green jewel and the map light? has a red jewel. Is the map light is supposed to be mounted under the dash? The map light turns on when pulled out and the sleeve makes contact with the uninsulated part of the stem?

Anybody know any details, were these JC Whitney items?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. F&J

F&J

Nice stuff. Looks high quality to me.

Not many local vendeors would have those at local swaps; it more like a Hershey type find. Some vendors save good trinkets for the big swaps.

3. Here are a few that I hope to use in the 42. The two on the left are single position roller switches and the odd one on the right is a single push pull.

[​IMG]

4. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I have that same push/pull on my lawn tractor. 9.95 at Canadian Tire. Or at least very similar...

I'm going to use one in my '51 for the brights.

5. This "very deco" dome lamp was at the bottom of another box, I couldn't believe the glass lens survived. While its a little fancy for the truck, its better it be used than stored away.

I'm guessing late 30's, no idea on make, "electroline" is stamped in the housing so maybe aftermarket?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Dennis Carpenter carries a complete line of early Ford knobs that are period correct.

7. F&J

F&J

The push/pull switch in post 3 at right side is a very commom generic aftermarket.

Electroline is a well known aftermarket light company. Look up electroline headights. They made complete replacement headights for older cars that wanted to upgrade to sealed beams, and they made many conversion kits to redo stock lights.

I honestly think that dome light is a truck clearance light, with a toggle added on in later times.

8. Thanks F&J

I google electroline and came up with a ton of headlights, spots, etc.. - the taillight king showed one "sold" in his interior/opera light section

I'm sure you are right that the toggle was added, I hadn't considered that it could be a cab clearance light.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  9. Yeah, why find something cool and interesting when you could just buy something new and soul-less from a catalog? :confused::p

The jewelled map light and lighter are great, definitely keepers.

10. All the catalog knobs sets are made for using with the stock switches and are one piece knob/stem. Nothing on the dash of this beast is stock after the last three ranchers got done "farmer fabbing". I needed to look for a set of knobs that worked with some of the later push/pull/turn switchs in which the knob has the set screw.

11. Gator

Gator

The knobs on the two on the left look a lot like some saved out of an old Cadillac.

[​IMG]

12. Yup, I was saying it's much cooler to find or make something than just grab them out of a catalog, as hotrod40coupe had suggested.

13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Some neat ones. ;)

Attached Files: