Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody got pic's or remember this hot rod???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Sep 19, 2012.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

In the late 1960's early 1970's I recall reading in a american hot rod magazine a feature article on a hot rod of the 1930's era which was rear engined and was driving a front banjo style differential, hence front wheel drive.

I could never find the article or pic's of the car and I was wondering if anybody out there can recall the article or better still post the pic's and the article as I'd like to re-read it since I have a greater view of hot rodding and feel I'd enjoy reading it from a different perspective now.

It may also kinder appeal to some others out there who have never seen this hot rod.

Sorry I can not be more specific but a lot of years have gone by and I'd be only guessing at some of the other details about this build...

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

You would think something like that would be recognizable.
    Here's a bump for you because I'm curious now too.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

bump also...

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've told that the body could be a 30 roadster owned by a guy in the early 1970's named Russ Meeks.

Does that ring a bell with any of the more senoir hot rodders out there.

It was more likely a west coast hot rod!!!

Was possibly shown in a LA Winter Nationals Show around that time.

5. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

http://www.roadsters.com/custom/

Russ Meeks

Russ moved from Portland, Oregon to go to work for Gene Winfield in 1964. While working with Gene Winfield, Russ helped build many wild custom cars. When Gene moved his operation to Phoenix in 1967, Russ decided he'd rather be back in Portland, and has been running his own shop ever since.

Russ designed and built a full-fendered Model A roadster with a tube frame and a flip-up body, powered by an Olds Toronado engine in the trunk. The car won the most prestigious award in hot rodding, the America's Most Beautiful Roadster award at the Grand National Roadster show in Oakland.

One of the prizes he won with the car was a new 427 Ford engine. His '56 Chevy Nomad, which he had sectioned and almost finished, needed an engine, so that's where it went.

Today you'll find Russ just south of Portland, running Finishline Coatings, where he adds ceramic thermal barrier coatings to a wide variety of automotive parts.

Russ devotes much of his time to his race car, that he runs at El Mirage and the Bonneville Salt Flats. The 1923 T Fuel Modified Roadster is completely handbuilt, with an aluminum body, a tube chassis, countless innovative details, and an injected GMC six on nitro. In fact, just about everything you see in this picture except for the salt and the tires was designed and handbuilt by Russ. He, his son, and daughter take turns racing the car.

Russ also has a long-term shop truck project that he has chopped, sectioned, lowered, finned, and louvered. When it's back on the road, it's going to put the old Rod & Custom magazine Dream Truck to shame.

Back when I lived in Portland, I would spend my Saturdays visiting Russ in his shop, where he was kind enough to let me work on parts for my 1932 Ford roadster project.

http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/

6. redo32

redo32

Russ Meeks built the car, black '30 Roadster. It had a Toronado drive setup in the rear that drove the rear wheels. On a slick floor it would not steer, just push the front wheels. The body was hinged in the front & raised from the back. It won AMBR. Last I knew it was still in original condition in the Salem area.

7. redo32

redo32

You type faster than I do, and tell a better story too.

8. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

9. redo32

redo32

here's a photo

Attached Files:

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Then, that is not the one I am referring to... however looks cool all the same.
    Interesting all the same.
    But we are sure getting warm now!!!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well, I got a phone call from a buddy of mine who saw my post and tells me I've got two cars mixed up.
    He thinks that while I am half right the car he recalls is one built by Carl Casper and not on the west coast.

It seems I may have gotten the Russ Meeks and the Carl Casper cars kinder blended into one.

I started the Novelty Hot Rod thread on the HAMB a while back hoping that somebody may post the car I was thinking of and all would be revealed.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320843

It seems Carl Casper has a history of building novelty hot rods.
    I still have no pic's of it yet, so if somebody has any extra information please post it here.

I am still convinced that it is rear engined and front wheel drive all the same.
    If I dont get that right then it is time to give the game away.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well folks, I've been searching the internet and found very little so far, so I decided to search the HAMB now that I have the name Carl Casper as a lead and this is what I have found which is great.

Re: Carl Casper - The "Other" Custom Builder <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5" align=center SIZE=1 width="100%" noShade>
    Since I was a little kid Carl Caspers customs have amazed me. I built all of his mpc models kits and collected the show programs and hot rod magaizine that had his cars in them. No one tops his creations. He was the "THE" first to do the wild paint schemes which are very detailed artistry. Some of his paint work is nearly 50yrs old and still looks brand new. No one can handle a squirt gun and lay down candys and pearls like Carl. His work really has inspired myself and thousands of other painters. Before Carls trick paint work,you just didn't see that kind of work being done. He set the standard.

I trailor my show cars to his Louisville Custom Auto show every year. Its absolutly the greatest indoor show in the world and if you haven't been to it,,,you should go. They really treat you good there, I get FREE entry to participate, FREE passes FREE parking FREE T-shirts for participants and alot of chances to win Tires,Wheels,Motors,TV's,,even Cash. This year for the 50th anniversary they are giving a brand new car to one lucky participant and another brand new car to one lucky spectator,,so thats pretty cool.

Throughout the year I attend alot of events like the "Street Rod National" NSRA stuff, Good Guys ect.. and it would be nice if they treated us as good as
    Carl Caspers group in Louisville does. I appreciate what Casper has done for the Custom car world and am thankfull for the opprotunity to be a part of such a special event every year.
    the picture is of
    Carl with one of his latest customs "the mystic cruiser"
    Swamp Rodder <o:p></o:p>

14. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Still more info posted by others here on the HAMB...

Re: Carl Casper - The "Other" Custom Builder <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5" align=center SIZE=1 width="100%" noShade>
    Hey all, pretty new here and just stumbled across this post and had to chime in. Carl is a very under rated customizer with wild ideas and huge energy. I've been privileged to work not only for him but alongside him in a few different car shows and I can consider him a friend. He's always looking at ways to promote our hobby and enjoys being "one of the guys" when his time allows. The museum in Auburn, IN is an awesome place to house most of Carl's cars, plus carriages and dragsters. I was one of the few people working hand in hand with Carl the week they were all brought up to IN to be placed in the museum....every car was started, driven by Carl himself (video taped for future use) then driven by myself and a couple others into their spots on display. I'm the guy who did the initial set up of most of the displays and detailed every car the day the museum opened to very large party that night. At one point I was behind the "Bat Cave" display when I saw a man standing next to the Batmobile and asked him to please leave the display.....little did I know at that time who that man was, it was Dean Kruse, the man who owns the property everything is built on!!! OOPS!!! He understood and introduced himself and we had a good laugh about it later. Working for Carl over the years, I've been fortunate enough to haul the Batmobile, both KITT TV cars (original Trans Am and the newer Shelby), his personal carriages and even the Beer Wagon and Peanut Trike, most of which at some time were at my personal home. Most of Carl's cars have been made into some form of toy or model kit of which I have tried to collect through the years. The handful I wasn't able to come up with, Carl himself gave me to finish my collection and autographed each and every one, how's that for a down to Earth guy?

As far as the drug influenced comments, I can tell you thats all BS....Carl is really an ARTIST and uses his wild imagination to create not only cars, but paintings, sculptures, interiors (yes, he still sews up his own stuff), and even designs buildings!!!

Hope y'all get a chance to tour the museum in Auburn if your in the area and enjoy the creativity each and every car has.

Also, if you get the chance, go to the Louisville show and support Shane and the guys who work their butt's off at the Panel Jam Charity Auction every year. They will auction off some awesome stuff and 100% of the proceeds go to a local charity. These guys donate all their time and supplies, help them if you can for a great cause!!!

Thanks for your time, RB <o:p></o:p>

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

But best of all I now have a picture of the car.
    I am just wondering now if anybody can find the article done by one of the hot rod magazines in the early 1970 that would provide more detail and pic's of this project car.

Attached Files:

16. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

man i love those short fat rear tires! i know everybody says "they're indy rain tires" but there was a company who made airplane tires, also made some streetable tires that look like that in the 70's. very fine tread pattern.

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The funny thing is that the damn car is a front wheel drive!!!

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Top of the heap "show rod" guy. There were a few who could get it right, he usually did. This Auburn thing, it's own museum or a part of the ACD?

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Anybody got any details of what is under that body, maybe an old hot rod magazine article or similar???

20. DeadZeppelin

DeadZeppelin

"Ultra Rod" by Carl Casper. I took these images within the last month at the Kruse Museum near Auburn, Indiana. It is powered by a rear-facing Mopar 426 hemi.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great and thanks for posting so long after my request, better late than never.
    There must have been numerous others that never got recognition or show time but were just as interesting.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. SusanD

SusanD

My father Jim Biniecki built that car. It was named the Indy Rod and was painted red originally. Carl Casper bought the car repainted it blue and reupholstered it. upload_2021-9-15_9-48-8.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-15_9-48-25.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-15_9-48-42.jpeg

Rolleiflex and loudbang like this.
  23. SusanD

SusanD

24. SusanD

SusanD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    loudbang and fiftyv8 like this.
  25. goldmountain

goldmountain

I remember this from a Rod & Custom sketchpad feature done by Harry Bradley where he drew the driveline configuration. Thought that was the wildest idea ever. When I saw magazine coverage of the Indy Rod in a car show, I was amazed that the concept actually was built.

fiftyv8 likes this.