Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody get anything from JC Whitney that DOESN'T suck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Apr 30, 2008.

1. flatford39

flatford39

Used to drive to downtown Chicago and stand in line on Saturday mornings to buy parts for the Model A in the late 60's. They had everything and they were the only ones at the time that had anything. Got in the backroom once and was amazed at all the NOS stuff that was all over that building. I don't think Izzy really had a handle on what was there after awhile. Wonder what happened to it all. I kinda remeber it being auctioned off or something but not quite sure.

There was not only NOS A parts there but just about anything else you could have imagined.

2. 5window

5window

Back in the 60's, when my dad had a Model T, you'd get a catalog from Warshawsky's and another from J C Whitney. Same catalog, but the the warehouse was on a corner and one company used one side for their address and the other company used the second,90 degree street, address. The catalog used to have tons of Model A and T parts as well as lots of other old makes. Truck and nitro rocket geegaws now-guess that's what sells.

3. RPOL88

RPOL88

I've been getting my "Last catalog unless you purchase something" for 30 years now!

4. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

leaf sprngs for my 61 falcon cheap too 67 bucks a piece !

5. We have bought dozens of cab corners and rockers for 64 thru 72 chev and GMC trucks ,good quality cant tell any difference from those sold by the name brand vendor. and at about a 25% cheaper price and free shipping :cool: OldWolf

6. yblock292

yblock292

carpet kits ain't bad

7. Just bought a name brand bed cover for my pickup. It was drop shipped from the factory and I saved about $200 over buying direct (or local). I'm pleased.

8. It's been a long time, but I ordered some VW parts from them and had good experiences. I know plenty of people who have ordered carpet kits and seat covers and plain pleated vinyl from JC without any trouble...

9. moefuzz

moefuzz

The only thing that I ever got from JC that didn't actually suck was their catalog.

But apparently it's just a lot of pictures of things that suck:confused:

:rolleyes:

10. ...good old J C Whitney,...bought lots of stuff from them over the years, always happy with it. ...and I'm close enuf to drive in and pick it up saving the shipping costs. This way you get to look at what you're buying and if you don't like it you don't have to buy it.
    ...Hope they never go out of business.

11. I get my padded insulation from them, cheapest price I've ever found. Its made from recycled cloth and 1 side is foil faced. Good stuff.

12. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

I bought a pair of hog ring pliars from the , they did not work at all , total crap but only cost $5 so....

Dont buy the Hog ring pliars!!! If your doing an interior.

13. Abomination

Abomination

:D:D

14. dodgeman33

dodgeman33
    from Indiana

I bought a stereo cassette player from them about 10 years for my hotrod installed easy but it eat up every tape I owned. the only upside to it is that it has a CD jack in the front of it and my MP3 player plugs right into it..... its funny they still sell the same stereo and I'm thinking of buying another one for my new project.....

15. mayej

mayej
    from Tok, AK

I've been ordering from them since 1984. Now, being before the intarwebs, their catalog was a blessing. Now, it's all in what you need. There are somethings that JCW will have, but I'll choose to go elsewhere just because of the rep of someone else, but I have gotten many things from JCW that I was quite satisfied with.
    Carpeting, chrome oil pan, rocker panels, mirrors, braided hose, etc.

16. I bought a lot of parts (trim and lenses) for my 76 GMC Jimmy back in 87 or so. Pretty good quality.
    Only problem I had was when I bought a rear bumper for the same truck. Had a quarter size 1/4" deep dent in it.
    No damage to the shipping box.
    Takes a lot of force to cause a dent like that. It was a bitch to straighten with a 3 lb. hammer.
    Tried to get an exchange but Cust Service sucked.
    Back then you ordered and waited 4-6 weeks to get the part. Not as quick as it is nowadays and a lot of people (myself included) didn't have credit cards.
    I haven't ordered from them since.
    Back then they were the only option in my area. Junkyards sucked, ebay wasn't around and the only auto parts store in the area was a small Napa. My how times have changed.
    I'm really surprised they are still in business.

17. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

My headliner, seat covers, door panel material and seat belts all came from JC Whitney. They suit the car and suit me fine.

18. jimmyv

jimmyv

I use to order a lot of stuff from them back in the late 70's/early 80's for my 58 and 60 Impalas. Everything from front end parts to headliners and carpet.

19. You could buy a good player without the jack too. They now make an adapter that converts RCA inputs (back of the player) to a headphone jack (IPOD or MP3 player input). This is what I did in one of my Comets with an old Pioneer CD player. You can get the adapter at Wally World or Radio Shack for 2-3 bucks.

20. jimmyv

jimmyv

I use to get catalogs all the time but have not received one in years. I just checked their site and did not see an option to even order a general catalog. All I saw was VW, SUV, motorcycle stuff.

21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

i bought a head liner for my '61 dodge lancer wagon. and a carpet for the same car. it has been a few years ago but i was happy with them.

22. chumly2071

chumly2071

recent good purchases were some exhaust pipe stock (good heavy wall aluminized stuff), u bends, and a couple patch panels. I cheat though. I am close enough to go to lasalle, and check out the parts before I pay. One thing I do like, is the scratch and dent items they put out in the retail section every weekend. lots of deals to be had.

23. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Been awhile but when I did buy, things were OK

24. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

I get carpet, headliners, seat covers and other stuff that is good but they do sell alot of tools that are cheap junk too.

25. rusty48

rusty48

I've bought several things from them,only thing I ever had problem with was wiper motor for 48 chevy,was suppose to be direct replacement,it did work but took some rigging and a bunch of hardware.

26. bustingear

bustingear

To hard to find things and the catalog and compare prices. they are no longer a deal.

27. blacktopjeff

blacktopjeff
    BANNED
    from iowa

28. I had a bad rod knock and clatterin' valves in my car back in the sixties. Poured in some "Rebuild in a Can", (anybody remember that stuff?) and she still purrs like a kitten to this day!:D:D:D

29. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Ordered a wiring harness in the late 70's for my 55 Chevy. After the harness arrived there was no doubt in my mind that one harness was fit all the cars listed in the ad! There was so much crap hanging off that thing a guy would never use on a tri-five. The catalog was always at the very least "interesting". Remember the add for universal tie rod ends?

30. yblock292

yblock292

carpet kits are great!