Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Anybody Ever Seen This Car Built in 54-56

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Solospeedshop, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Guys!
    Just got my new project in tonight! I bought this off the HAMB from a great HAMBER Named Larry! This car had to be seen somewhere! 1938 Chevy Coupe Customized & built somewhere between 54 & 56 Was built in Ohio & stored in AZ late 60's til one year ago! Guy who built car was named Bill & has passed away so history lost except for what widow remembered! Running a GMC 270 all tricked out & had to be fast in it's day! They even customized the door hinges! Great job on chop leaded custom work! Any info please let us know! Tks Bill

Attached Files:

2. Dyce

Dyce

There's a picture of a Chevy coupe made into a 3wd in one of the Don Montgomery books I remember.... That's a cool peice, 270 and all!!

3. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Info Tks! Bill

4. Rikster

Rikster

Great car... and would look even better if it was built on a nice speedboat stance with skirts in the back.
    What are your plans with it?

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Nice buy ! Car in back of it in the B&W pic looks to be a '50 Plymouth, so actual build may have been earlier...unless you have info to the contrary. (The pic itself, with the owner, is priceless ! Just "the way it was" back in that time period...dusty streets and all !)

The Jimmy engine is a "plus" ! Unusual and cool.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I like that it's not so low. Cool car.

7. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Guys! Tks for replys! Plans are to get it running & sit back & figure which way to go! Hardest part is trying to keep it back around 1955! Looking at it it had alot of work done! Has a frt clip off a 41 -48 Chevy which made it ride better! About a 40-48 Pontiac rear end with old ladder bars! Everything oldschool! One very cool car! Too bad we don't know the history! We do know the motor was built from a march 1954 Popular mechs Magazine! Heres pic of Rear end & ladder bars! Why early Pontiac? Looks just like a chevy but 5 0n 5 bolt patern! A set of 302 pistons from eagle speed shop wrapped in newspaper dated 1955 so we are guessing early 55! 3 missing pieces to puzzle! 3 carbs were gone, Seat, & Trans Thats it maybe someone stole them while in storage! Fun to try & figure out history! Hope someone reads this thread & can say they saw this car @ some show or even better in a magazine! Tks! Bill

Attached Files:

8. Smokey2

Smokey2

Hey Man, With LUCK On This Find , I'd Be Buyin' Lotto Tickets !

I would'nt Be Able To Sleep At Nights, AFRAID Some soul, Is Gonna' Come Take IT Away Frum ME !!!!

Definutlee KEEP US POSTED **********************

Still Smoked-Up In The GREAT SMOKEY MTS of Tenn.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    You Can Trust Your Car, To The MAN, THAT WEARS THE STAR. Tha' BIG RED TEXACO STAR! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  9. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Jealousy is burning inside me.. Im glad it went to a HAMBer though, I agree with Rik on the motorboat stance with skirts..
    Dont modernize it at all!!

10. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Luck? Lotto Tickets? It was listed on the HAMB under Cars For Sale! I just Said I'll take it! Maybe its just The Hamb that should get all the credit! Tks! Bill

11. 'Mo

'Mo

What trans will you use? My Chevy six is getting a '37 Packard box.
    The gear spread is very similar to Zephyrs and Lasalles.

For even more strength, Steve at Buffalo Enterprises recommends the '40's (sideshift) Packard box, with the '37-'39 shifter top. He said that his '37 box that was behind a GMC six "in an old race car" had had the case brazed up from having split "in every direction." (Mine certainly won't be subjected to that kind of abuse! :eek:) You might even find one with overdrive!

12. Big Nick

Big Nick

are those AD truck tail lights?

13. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trans! Still working on that! Motor bell housing has a big bolt pattern like Muncie or Saginaw open drive shaft so were guessing a 55 saginaw 3 speed was probably ran but need to measure drive shaft! Time will tell!Tks! Bill

14. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Great score! Would have been nice to find out more about this Bill guy!

15. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

stock 38 tail lights

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very cool !! I would love to see it restored as a true taildragger !

17. RUFTOY

RUFTOY

I sold the car to Bill and I don't think it could of gone to a better home. We have had many talks and there is no dought he will do the car justice and wants to keep it as close to period correct as possable.
    It was very hard to see it go but Bill's plans for it make me feel much better.

Go for it Bill, get the job done and hang on. It will drive people crazy where ever it goes.

Larry

18. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

That's a bad ass ride. Just like rikster said. Fat whites , skirts and a speed boat stance

19. SOLO

SOLO

I like it! Can't wait to see it! Very cool!

20. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still looking for History! Tks!

21. hotdamn

hotdamn

congrats, hope you find your info!

22. paintcan54

paintcan54

Hope you find the right history on your car, you wouldn't belive the stories I have beeen told. I have been chasing the history on my T Bucket for 3 years and just last month at a show, some guy walks up and says I helped build this car. Hope your as lucky as I was.

23. Dyce

Dyce

I looked it up and it was in the Hotrod Memories Relived Again book page 153 or so. That one had a chrome dash and a Lasalle grill.

24. Rikster

Rikster

Thats the Harry Westergard built Leroy Semas 1937 Chevy... different car

25. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tks Guys! Maybe someone will remember this car! Bill

26. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found out car chopped at a local shop in Canton OH widow said 1954 anybody know of any old school chop ,custom. bodyshops from way back when?