Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Anybody Else have a Bolt hoard or Bolt hoarding problem?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilBlue82, Jan 7, 2017.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back on page 2, I said I have a "wooden box" I keep various fasteners in. There's a story about it. I used to be good friends with an E.R. Physician at one of the hospitals I worked at. For his birthday one year, I gave him a "Chainsaw" I made; it was an old hacksaw that I welded a length of chain to, welded on a spark plug, and attached a spark plug wire. He got a kick out of it, and he returned the favor by building my wooden box; it was made to look like and function like a dumpster you'd find at any business. He was a woodworker for a hobby. About a foot long, 9 inches wide, and 8 inches tall with a bifold door on top. He glued sewing spools cut in half on the ends so the truck could pick it up with, then painted it silver. A miniature dumpster. I used to keep my Pro Bracket 56 Chevrolet, and later my FED, at a self service storage complex. I'd stop almost daily on my way to work to check out my garage sized locker, and the dumpster. People would through all kinds of useful stuff away. That's where the miniature dumpster idea came from. That was around 1976, and I still have it. Dr. Bert DeGroot; he passed away 35 years ago. He'd had an artificial valve put in his heart, over time it developed a fungus infection that a clump broke loose from and logged in his brain. He'd temporarily go blind, "brain blindness", and had to retire from Medicine. He also could no longer drive because of it. But, he still rode his bike every day. He died in a bike-car accident in California while visiting his son. Very sad day for a lot of us. I think of him everytime I open my little dumpster looking for an odd sized bolt or nut. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Truck64, brad2v and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. When I'm looking for a fastener that's among a bunch of miscellaneous junk, I use a tray like this to return everything back to the bin. It makes the hunt faster.

I like to use see through containers like cheap ziplock food containers, because it helps speed up the hunt. Baggies and spring clips work great for small amounts, so you can hang stuff on a peg board. It also speeds the hunt. It really helps to "bag" stuff as you take it off.

Good topic by the way. It got me in the mood for organizing today, but I got a ways to go. I don't know whether to blame you or thank you.

In answer to your question, yes there are others like you, myself included.

20170119_133158_HDRb.jpg 20170119_183444_HDRb.jpg 20170119_183511_HDRb.jpg

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unused hardware is stranded capital. If I buy them and don't use them, I am wasting my money. If I have to work to acquire them, I am wasting my money (in the form of time). If I buy them with my customer's money and don't use them, I am wasting their money. If I am storing them I am wasting my money (in the form of valuable real estate).

If it is good, it goes back in where it came from. If it is not, it goes in the recycle bin. If it is good, and is not going to be used where it came from in a customer's vehicle, I am legally obligated to offer it back to the customer, by state law.

Hoarding hardware might be fine for all y'all who live out in the sticks, and are retired. Not this guy.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I collect bolt holes.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I collect nothing. I have more of it, every day....

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

I live in a small town with a Fastenal store. It takes me a minimum of 30 minutes to aquire a bolt. I can buy 100 for an average of $20(roughly). I charge more than $50 dollars an hour. If I bought an average of 10 bolts per trip. At a minimum of costing me $25 dollars a trip = $250 for billable time spent getting 100 bolts. So is it cheaper not to have any on hand? I`m busy enough as it is. The less trips I make to the store the better. Just about everything I buy, is 100 at a time. Nuts, bolts, washers, screws, cotter pins, E-clips, wire terminals and the list goes on. Everything I have is well organized and sorted to the 9nth degree. It takes less than 5 minutes to find anything I have. It`s called usable inventory. Some people in town know I`m the go to guy for hardware they can`t find anywhere else. If I don`t have it, I send them with cash to get a hundred and give me what they don`t use. They end up coming back and getting more of what they didn`t take the first time. I have helped out 2 people on the HAMB with clips they couldn`t find anywhere. Why else would they start a thread looking for it. Free of charge of coarse.

das858, TagMan, brad2v and 1 other person like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My hardware vendor delivers.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

Everyday. 24 hours a day. 7 days a week. That`s when my inventory is available. I`m glad your system works for you. Mine works for me.

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

I was in Lowes and looked at a bolt. One. $6. I like my stash. I dont lose time to stop work, clean up, waste time and gas to go to a store and pay outrageous prices

tfeverfred likes this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

Lowes is 60 miles away. And in a different state.

11. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I could not function without extra hardware,even though I have two hardware stores within 3 miles its nice to have stuff in stock for those late night repairs when the stores are closed.

stanlow69 likes this.
  13. Retrorod

Retrorod

I have a hardware collection that only dates back to about 1970. I recently dumped my Dad's hardware in with mine...he had been collecting since the '50s. Every time I grab something I know is from his junk I realize he is looking from above...happy that I didn't throw anything away!

6-bangertim and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. At age 65 I got a few. I also have more than a few old tols to work on old rides using parts from those old bolt buckets.

Yeah... this site is a little church of weirdness where the high priest dictates how and what grown men can talk about. (me shakes head).

Oh, oh, oh! Don't talk about the tools!!! It's a sin!
    (me shakes head)

I'll pass on getting neutered to be "one of the guys".

iwanaflattie likes this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

I toss loose bolts in a can just for them. If I see one laying around, I scoop it up. Hoarding? Nope, just smart economics. Hardware cost money.

Capt Chap likes this.
  16. -Brent-

-Brent-

I have hardware in drawers beneath my bench. I've been known to buy hardware at estate sales. I've gotten picky, though. I like having stuff on hand and it has made life easier on many occasions.

If I couldn't keep it organized, I wouldn't have it. A 5 gallon bucket would drive me insane.

[​IMG]

Capt Chap and stanlow69 like this.