Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody else a lone wolf out there??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Hi Hamber Folks...

I have been tinkering with old junk my whole life....some of it HAMB friendly and some not...But...

I don't go cruising with a group...I don't belong to any groups...I don't participate in any car shows either....I work on my junk alone...some of it I get so it runs and drives...some of it I don't....I will sell it and then find something else to grind and weld my time away with...but basically all of this is done alone...

Anybody else anti social .... lone wolf type also??

Thanks in advance.

MikeC

2. I was going to respond, but I'm kinda anti-social.:D:):D:):D..;)

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Not anti-social but just because I have a bithcin' old car doesn't mean I have to be in a club or go to cruises, shows, etc. I have my car for me. That's it.

KAJRIP, -Brent-, reagen and 21 others like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

See my profile, NO CLUB, LONE CAT

5. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have ONE best friend. He calls me an "unsociable old bastard"! So, yeah.

6. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I'm not what I would consider anti-social, being 72yrs young my philosophy on cars hasn't changed much.
    I don't mind hanging out by myself, love working on cars alone as it gives me time to think and visualize
    what I'm doing, never joined a car club. To this day, I would rather be working on my car than sitting around
    a table discussing about what "they say" can't be done. Can't tell you how many times I have heard
    that something won't work, yet I had already done it. Love just getting in my hot rod and going for a drive. It
    lets my mind wander and a great way to decompress. Love car shows, drag races, swap meets or anything else
    that smells like exhaust, nitro or burning rubber. (Not 90w so much.) Probably not going to change now.

7. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Another thought: " I AM tolerant....I just don't like YOU."

8. In my life, my garage time is my time. My therapy, my decompress time, my "quiet" time.
    I deal with, and talk to, people all day then come home and have all the day-to-day chit chat with the wife.
    after all of the husband and father duties are accomplished i head out to the garage and do something...I might work on the car, mindlessly sort a can full nuts and bolts, or just stare at the car and smoke a cigar and imagine what types of changes I would like to make or simply count my blessings.
    It's a rare occasion that I invite people into this time, and I don't try to force myself into this time of others. I am always ready to lend a hand if someone needs it, And I am usually hesitant to ask for help for fear of disturbing the "quiet" time of others (I naturally assume it is equally important to them as it is to me)
    This is not to say that I don't enjoy working with others on projects, I always seem to learn something in those situations. A block sanding party, a late night thrash to get a car finished, or just a garage day helping install a gas tank or transmission (with the usual ball busting and beer drinking).
    I have a small core group of close personal friends and I have found that the number of those close personal relationships I can maintain and support is about 10. I have a much larger group of people that I am "Friendly" with, and an even larger group that I know more by the car they drive than I do by their name...lol
    I enjoy going to car shows, mostly to check out others work, get ideas, and socialize. But the real joy for me is getting there and leaving, taking the long way home and just driving. my car.
    Group runs are fun occasionally, but I have found that, like riding motorcycles, it is hard to find people you are really comfortable with, people that share a driving/riding style that meshes well with your own. There seems to be a fine line at these types of events between fun and work.
    So, while I wouldn't say i am a "Lone-wolf" i do need and appreciate solitude and working my own way at my own pace.
    Chappy

9. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Pack of one, I work on everything solo and cruise with the family exclusively.
    I'm not terribly social, personally, but sometimes I think it'd be awesome to have more hot rod pals, but there just aren't any car guys around, at least that is what I tell myself lol.

10. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These days I want to be far more social than I was or currently am. This covid lifestyle sucks.

11. Yup, I'm pretty anti social....I'm also kinda ugly, so that helps too.

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

I am pretty much a lone wolf when it comes to my old car habit. None of my buddies are into old cars. It would be nice to have some friends that had common interests and to work on projects together. It sometimes helps in my opinion to have someone around to motivate you.

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm not anti-social. Hardly. I have no desire to join a car club though.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I have many acquaintances in my life , only a very few true friends , of those few , only 2 are still alive , acquaintances can upset you , true friends can hurt you , best not to have too many ....I'd much rather work on my own ..

15. I'm the only member of my club, probably because i voted to set the dues so high. And as the president of my car club, new members are required to bring me beer or cake. Maybe that's why, i don't know. I like cruise ins, not a fan of car shows. Road tripping is good also. I do enjoy watching people get pissed when they don't win a plastic trophy. Personally I don't need a group of guys that are into muscle cars or tuners to tell me if they think my shit is cool. I know it's cool because i built it :D

16. Yep...no club....no help.....no friends.....few acquaintances.....the pandemic has not affected me one bit...alone in my garage, talking to myself (hmm, I might be psychotic!:eek:):cool:

rpm56, slim38, oldsroller and 20 others like this.
  17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not anti social at all just nobody close to me is into these old cars we love. Many have cars they like but nothing that even resembles an old hot rod. I'd welcome some company and help anytime but the closest car buddy who could assist is 30 minutes away. So I spend most of the time working alone and filling in what I need for info or knowledge right here on the HAMB. If I'm really pressed for assistance the wife will lend a hand now and then. I don't do car clubs as I have enough politics in my life. I go to car shows but haven't had anything I'd consider showing to be honest.

18. Safely practicing Social Distancing for 30 years

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

rpm56, slim38, lostmind and 24 others like this.
  19. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty much a hermit. Go to work, go home. Divorced for thirty years so just me on my 3 1/2 acres out in the country. I deal with people all day at work, pretty happy to get away from them. Covid hasn't changed my lifestyle much

20. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

tenor.gif
    I don't do shows, or cruise with anyone or anything. It's not that I wouldn't cruise with buddies, just haven't. I have been a loner my whole life though. I don't like other people. They all seem like idiots.

You guys are cool tho....

21. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Am Not Anti-Social....I Just Outlived The Rest Of Those Pricks... IMG_0043.jpg

22. 8flat

8flat

HAHAHA that one made me laugh! Hope you have a great day Lou, and nice coupe by the way!!!!!

23. Let's start a club for all of us Lone Wolves.

24. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My area has a lot of classics, but most of them are trailered around. I have the only Model A that I've seen around outside of the local museum and also the only early 30s car other than a very boomer 32 street rod. It's tough to make car friends in this area since there is only one "car club" and it is mostly late models. I know there must be more guys around here but I can't seem to find them. So for now I guess I'm a lone wolf too, just not by choice.

It is really hard to find traction in this hobby with so little exposure. I still don't even know how I got the bug.

25. maybe everybody could get together and talk about it................

26. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i'm not anti social, i just don't like people.

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ I like that idea. First requirement should be you own at least one non-running old long-term project car, and everyone is free to not attend meetings whenever they damn well please.
    It sounds like I’m in the right place. I’m not anti-social but I have always shied away from involvements like clubs that require a commitment of my free time. I think I just got that way over the years because my work hours were so unpredictable.
    Nowadays, it’s my ambition/energy level that’s unpredictable.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20210204_080419.jpg

lothiandon1940, loudbang and catdad49 like this.