Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any PPG reps on here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowandLow63, Dec 3, 2008.

1. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I have a question about hardeners that my guy can't seem to answer. I normally use DCX61 general purpose hardener with DCC Concept single stage. I see on the tech sheet DU5 and DU6 hardeners as well. My guy says he thinks they are fast and slow hardeners but doesn't know for sure or even which is which. If there is a fast hardener, I'd rather go with that than the general. Anyone?

2. crider

crider

Not a PPG rep, but been spraying their products for a long time. The Du hardeners were for air dry use. And yes their is a cool, medium and hot. The du5 is the Cool weather/fast, 6 is medium and 7 is the slowest.

3. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

DCX 61 was the old stuff which I still use, when I add the clear in the DCC is the reason Same hardner in DCC and Clear. You can use either, DU 5 and DU6 are different temps. I'm not a PPG rep but I did stay at the Holiday Inn last night! Ask your PPG guy to give you the P Sheet for DCC and DU hardners.

4. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Hi Bill Ive used dcx9 or dx9 as an overall hardener. I think thats there hardener when doing completes. What are you doing? Have you been over Marks Lately?. I plan on starting my Merc in the Spring If i dont get transfered at my job. Later Mike

Attached Files:

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I figured DU5 for the fast based on the way PPG numbers their products but I wanted to be sure. DCX9 is for hot/force dry no? I used DCX61 for the same reason you did, adding the clear to my 3rd/4th coat, but with the temps I'd rather use the fast hardener. I have the sheets, hell I have THE PPG book, its just at my shop and I wanna know now! The sheets online just say urethane hardener.

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I'm getting ready to do NITROFC's (AL) '36 Dodge coupe. Just trying to get everything in order. Haven't been to Mark's, been too busy. I'll pay him a visit sooner or later though.

7. Glen

Glen

not a rep either........ we use 61 because 5 and 6 are not legal for sale in Arizona due to the air quality people.

6 is a force dry product as mentioned above.

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Stopped at my shop after work today and checked my tech book, DU5 is the winner. DU5 for 70*-85*, DU6 for 85*+. Thanks for the help guys.

9. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Wow, I thought DU4 was the fastest!:confused:

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

There's a DU4? Maybe its discontinued because I don't have it in my book. If you know something I don't, speak up! I'd much rather have a hardener specd for 60-70 just to be safe.

11. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

It may be discontinued, I don't really know, I know I've got a whole gallon of it and it was made for below 60 degrees and it really works well. I also use DU5 for an all around good activator for hot or cold conditions, if it's too cold, put a cap full of DX84 Enhancer in it! I use it in clear, Primer and DCC concept single stage and DAR acrylic enamel! I've been painting now for about 20 years and every now and then you kinda tend to learn something new. Let me know if I can help!

12. Large_911

Large_911

I am having dinner w/ the former CTO of PPG next week; if you have any specific questions, send me a PM.

13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

When I call to order all the materials Monday, I'm gonna ask my guy about DU4, maybe it will come up in the computer. I don't need a full gallon and I don't want to ask you to open it just for me. But I thank you so much for the offer and for the insight.