Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any other Austin A40 owners on here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PA Gas, Apr 3, 2006.

1. PA Gas

PA Gas

Here is a pic of mine. I'm building it with a little gasser influence.

Attached Files:

2. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

Me, but you knew that.

Attached Files:

3. purple

purple

was really lookin at one on ebay before my boys were born. It was a 4 door and sold for $800. Did you know that Datsun made them for the Japanese market? The side badges and the side mirrors are the only difference.

4. Marko

Marko

A few months back I bout a '50 A40 p/u. Pretty rusty. BTW I'm looking for a left rear fender, the version that covers the tire about like a full skirt. Good luck with yours! Mark.

5. John Copeland

John Copeland
    Member Emeritus

How about this one?

Attached Files:

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...perverts...:)

7. PA Gas

PA Gas

Just four of us? Anymore?

8. In the off season, when the American racers aren't running, I see some races televised from England. Recent Vintage style track stuff, lots of MGs, TR3s, Lotus', Morgans and cars like that. And there's the ONE Austin A-40 blasting through the pack on three wheels, just passing everyone. Hell yeah, they have racing pedigree. I was talking with my brother, Mr Creosote about it and he knows who that guy is, says he usually finishes in the top five everytime. ha ha Go with it PA Gas. Can't lose with the stuff you use.

chili phil

9. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

A 1950 Austin A40 was absolutely the first car I ever owned. Bought in '62 for $50, I drove it for a year until a head dropped of a valve at 65 mph. The shagging room in the back seat limited you to very uncomfortable positions. I traded it on a $300 1949 Mercury which had the best back seat of any car I have ever owned.

Memories...

10. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I guess this counts. I am sort of a partner in this one. God knows I have put a lot of work into it. Although we haven't worked on it in a real long time! Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG]

11. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Good timing...found one last Saturday in a local junkyard...has what looks like a factory metal sun roof...by the way UnkieB's car is much more cool in person...
    Bill

12. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

On Speed a year or so ago they were covering the Goodwood Festival and during one of the historic races this little red Austin won. Fricken awesome race, some retired racer was in a big ol jag, and winning until he spun out. The austin gained the lead (by doing just what chili said, passing on 3 wheels) well the ex racer got the jag straight and tore ass off, going from last to second, truly great driving. Then for the final laps the austing and jag played cat and mouse, the austin would pull ahead in the curves then the jag would close in on the straights. The austin won, just barley, one of the best races I have ever seen of any cars, made me love the austin!

13. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Not yet, but looking for one. Or any Austin from the forties through the early sixties. My family had an A40 with sunroof in the early sixties.

14. had this last year, but sold it due it small size and the wifes insisting there be room for the grandkids - tripower .040 over 58 Poncho 370, 4 spd Hydro , 9",'36 chevy strt axle survivor

Attached Files:

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Man, you shoulda seen the totally stock 4 door they had at the Brit car show this weekend, it was waiting to be hacked upon.

I really like your pick up truck there.

16. Thats one cute 2door Geoff.
    The Austins are nice little cars for sure. My problem is i,ve got 9 of the little buggers and then they start to look big next to each other. (full shed )
    3 somerset sedans, 2 somerset convertibles. 1 A40 pickup,1 A40 van, 1 Devon,1 Dorset. All projects. Had a A70 Hereford pickup as well. Sold that (did,nt look right compared to the A40s.)

17. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I sold this about 4 years ago.Everything accept the blower drive was made in my garage.Box section chassis, blown 350 Chevy & powerglide with shift kit.Covered about 25000 miles in it with the wife & 2 kids including a 2200 mile jaunt around France while on holiday, sorry to see it go but sold it to get a 34 5 window which I haven,t done yet because I have built a rod for my son and have just started one for my daughter.S o much rust , so little time:) .

Attached Files:

18. George G

George G

19. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

Ive got three.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is my friends-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  20. I have three 54's. Two convertibles and one four door sedan. Unfortunately I tarped them up many years ago and left them. Mother nature has taken claim to them. I offered them up for free to a local guy that was working on one...he looked at them and took a pass.

21. Yeah, my Dad had 1948 back in 1963, I told the story already. I wanted the car. I came home from school one day and it was gone. I asked my father what happened to it, he said some guy came by and offered him 30 bucks for the car so he let it go. Boy, was I pissed.
    Years later I had chance to buy a 4dr off of Sean Vesely, a finished car but it had been nailed in the ass prior to Sean's getting the car, that and my wife not liking such a small car and my not liking it being a 4dr, I let it slide.

22. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

i used to race one in the early 90's, it now enjoys life in pheonix

23. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I don't have an Austin car but I do have an original dealer brochure for them. They made great looking race cars. Mike

Attached Files:

24. Both my Somerset convertibles were rusty basket cases but i still managed to sell them to a collector for a very good price. They are fairly rare you know . How bad are yours ?

25. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

It's amazing how one man's trash is another man's treasure...
    My grandpaw had an old 40-50's era jeep thrown out in the
    pasture. He had it hauled off for junk.. along with a 63 chevy
    pickup bed. I was too young at the time to know what he
    had growing up in the weeds..

26. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

My uncle also had an early 30's Chevy truck that was original to the family from new.
    They made a "war wagon" out of it for a parade, and shot holes all in the truck with
    a gun to make it look like it had seen battle... shame.. Last I knew, my cousin had
    it down in Austin somewhere. But it has probably been sold by now.

27. moparron426

moparron426

Hey Thats my old car :cool: I had it in 76 and put it on the street. sold it to a guy in Canada. I also had this austin PU

Oddys car when I had it:
    [​IMG]

and my old austin PU:
    [​IMG]

28. Oddy's car is back in Buffalo, back lloking like it did back when.

Here is another western NY car, out of Rochester.

[​IMG]

29. moparron426

moparron426

I owned that car for awhile too, I did the frontend and motor mounts and column in it many,many years ago. it belongs to a guy named Paul in the rochester area :cool:

and John is doing a nice job on Oddys car......

30. My brother Dave in Spencerville has one. A 1950. I did him a motor many years ago. We used some MG (or Morris)stuff on it and in it to have a bit more power but it is otherwise stock. In another life i was a BMC mechanic