Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any old time hot rodders help me, need to know what N.O.T.A stands for from 1959.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fast Elvis, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Just aquired an old trophy from 1959 from the N.O.T.A. Auto Rama for the Hot Rod Coupe class. I wanted to find out what the N.O.T.A. stood for and any further history on this car show . I got the trophy out of Monroe Mich. but can't say that's where it's from originally. Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks F.E.

2. old beet

old beet

Was typical in the day for every area to have a "timing association" hence the T.A. at the end...................OLDBEET

3. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Northern Ohio Timing Association is a good guess. The Ohio may be many different things like Ontario.

4. Thanks guys...........I think your probably right about the timing assoc. connection and Northern Ohio sounds like a pretty good bet. Being from Ontario I'm quiet sure there wasn't any Northern Ontario T.A. around 1959.

I guess another question would be......was there a Northern Ohio Timimg Assoc. in 1959?

Thanks again for the help so far guy's!! :)

5. 53Nailhead

53Nailhead

My 53's from Geraldton, Ontario & I'll tell ya there's not much up there past North Bay, can't imagine what was up there in 59....Moose & more moose!!:D

6. Holy shit...........Geraldton!!.............the highway doesn't go that North :)......I heard from the Northern hot rodders you had to watch racing in the lane that was close to the food booths so you didn't have to worry about hitting any wild life on the track in those day's. :)

7. There was a Northern Ontario Timing Ass'n. in Thunder Bay in 1963. My dragster was a featured car at their car show.

Levis Classic likes this.
  8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

FastE, there's your answer. Now you owe johnny a new roller cam for his new modified.:)

9. Thanks for the info.......I knew there was a Ontario Timing Assos. back in 1956 because I know afew of the old kats that started it out of Kohler Airstrip near Cayuga, Ontario. I even have an original flyer from the track advertising drag racing on Mondays. I love the part on the flyer that states.........."CONTESTANTS UNDER 21 MUST HAVE NOTARIZED PERMISSION FROM THEIR PARENTS". Those were the good old days...lol. Kool stuff!

Does any old time HAMB remember getting such a permission to drag race in their day?

10. Ha, ha,ha,.................after seeing your great shop Frank or should I say "museum of vintage speed", you probably have half a dozen roller cam's laying around the place!! :)

Frank have you hear of this Auto Rama?

*** JohnnyFast .....I'd love to see some pic's of that dragster of yours from 1963!!!!

11. 5window

5window

I got zero hits on Google for Northern Ontario,Northern Ohio or N.O.T.A., so I'd go with Johnnyfast's explanation, especially with the paper he has.

12. Thanks for doing some digging 5window..........hopefully maybe someone on the HAMB will remember this show or even have pic's from some past show's from then same organization.

13. As best as I can remember, the NOTA was somehow involved with the operation of Riverview Raceway in T-Bay....a 1/3 mile dirt oval. Both the track and the club have disappeared from the scene.

Here's the digger :)

Attached Files:

14. Johnny great photo of your old warrior.........what type of combo did you run for a powertrain? .........oh ya, what did that screamer turn?

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a drag strip in Napierville, Canada, wonder if that has anything to do with the N in NOTA?

16. Thanks for the info bro........never heard of that strip ....was that track out in eastern Canada near you in Ridgefield CT ?

17. nor cal nic

nor cal nic

then there's ontario california... out near riverside in the heart of the INLAND EMPIRE...hmmmm?
    nic

18. nic...............I bet the weather is alot nicer in that Ontario then mine at the present time (burrrrrrrrrr...cold!)

What is the "INLAND EMPIRE" ? :)

19. 53Nailhead

53Nailhead

JohnnyFast & Fast Elvis, Geraldtons' way up there, not too many paved roads north of it & it's only a couple/three hours east of Thunder Bay. You start heading south to the Bay once your west of Geraldton. Bought two 53 Supers there from the same guy(it was actually buy one get one free...so his wife would stop naggin' his ass), all the way back people asked me where I got them when I said Geraldton most had never heard of it!!

20. nor cal nic

nor cal nic

the area east of la...I-10 runs thru it... it includes san bernardino county... and the towns of upland, rancho cucamonga, fontana, riverside and of course ontario!
    nic

21. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Is Ontario near O.C.I.R? Great night racing there back in the 70's.
    All those California towns kinda run together...:cool: