Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any old school homemade mail box street scoops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PandorasBox99, May 11, 2015.

1. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

Old shool mail box scoops

2. That would border on ratrod type stuff if you ask me. Plenty of proper hood scoops out there to choose from with out going to the tacky side. Better yet make something cool.

Special Ed and fine29 like this.
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

5. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

Funny talk last sat night about mailbox scoops. In the late 80s cruise inns I remember cars pulling in Tri5s to Big Impalas local race cars with plastic newspaper mail boxes as street scoops.Talking to some older dudes they ran metal or pastic boxes race n or street n and if caught in ran they would spin around and drive where it was dry.Maybe just a Home Town thing I dont know.

6. Glenn, Yours don't look bad. I thought he was talking about mounting the San Fransisco Examiner box on a car. Ha!

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not such a rare thing in days gone by, was actually quite popular on the drag strips.
    Short story from my youth (mid 60's).
    Had a friend with an older brother who had a four door 57 or 58 Chizler New Yorker with 392 power, painted red, white, and blue.
    Not sure which newspaper, but since I grew up in Oregons' Willamette valley, it might have been the Oregon Journal, but you guessed it Captain America was sporting a genuine plastic paper box hood scoop .
    I thought it was the coolest thing around.

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Not a mailbox but LI Newsday newspaper boxes. Had to cover both sets of injector tubes circa 1965.

Pat

Attached Files:

9. earlymopar

earlymopar

Not really! Paper box scoops were very common in the 50's and 60s!

10. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

If your hood scoop is not above the level of your radiator. The hot air from your radiator and engine compartment is going into your carbs. The rad produces a low pressure area at speed and the hot air is held there.
    Probably hurts more than helps.

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Growing up in an area where the paperboy porched the morning edition, I was unfamilier with purpose of them, but I had seen a bunch of these scoops on drag cars in magazines. Many-many years later while on vacation with the family and driving through a small town I was amazed to see a bunch dragster scoops nailed to a tree.

fourspeedwagon and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw quite a few in the early 60's on various cars at the drags. They were Newspaper ones and still said Fresno Bee, Madera Tribune, etc on them

40fordtudor likes this.
  13. LOL I actually used a real mail box on a car once as a joke. We left the door on it with a latch on the hood and on the box "IN CASE IT RAINED!!!!!" We had US Male lettered on the side of it and some local small town cop said that it was a federal offense to use a male box for a scoop. It was easier to remove it then to go to kangaroo court.

I used to think that the news paper boxes were cool, when I was hawking the Examiner when I was a kid there was a real gasser in the neighborhood that had an Examiner box for a scoop. I always stuck a spare newspaper in the scoop if I had any left over. the guy that owned the car got a kick out of it. he would fire the bitch ( his words) and run us around the neighborhood once in awhile.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  14. Well, Just because something was done does not qualify it for looking good. Lots of goofy stuff was done at one time. Just look at E&J headlights. That's a prime example. Some are still doing it.

56don likes this.
  15. what a p.i.t.a. having to put it back on the pole every morning.

16. On real race cars things did not get done for the cool factor. It had to do with getting from staging to the lights post haste.

17. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

What looks good is a matter of opinion. The only opinion that matters is the owners.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, Benno is right. Nothing rat roddy about a mailbox scoop, it was done all the time back in the day. In fact, it was common to have your newspaper box stolen and turned into a scoop by some teenager ! :D

For my altered I didn't want one of the off the shelf polished scoops, so I looked around and bought this one at a swap meet from Charlie Price off of his old dragster. I plan to paint it to match the body color and leave it just as it is.

Don
    [​IMG]

I may even leave all of Charlies win stickers on it because they have a history.

[​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

Yea have a old TimesNews box laying in the shop think I will build one and run it for are local Rod Round up this year. Lose the hood and scoop it for the weekend.

20. dan31

dan31

I remember seeing one back in the 80's that had "Detroit news" stamped on the side. I thought that was the coolest one yet.

21. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

dont se em so much any more...
    internet killed newspapers:cool:

22. I totally agree,I never thought E&J headlights were a thing of beauty buy realize they are considered the cats pajamas but some. HRP

23. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I didn't use a newspaper box on my flatheas dragster but did used a cut off chevie V8 valve cover.

24. captmullette

captmullette

25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That brings back memories. Cops come up with some of the dumbest dreamed up laws. My son was riding his Harley with his son as a passenger. His kid is plenty old enough to hold on but he felt better tying a rope around him and his son . A female cop pulled them over and asked him if he knew the Kansas rope laws ? I couldn't keep myself from laughing out loud.

26. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

And what is wrong with a little home grown hood scoop?? I am one who sticks up for low buck.Don in Indiana.

27. News paper box scoop...
    [​IMG]

olscrounger and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  28. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

here is one i made from an old acetone can for my brothers car.. he didn't like it to much. he bought a cookie cutter hilborn type scoop eventually. he thought it looked to poor boy for him.
    [​IMG]