Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Any Hotrod musicians out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fomoco31, Oct 5, 2011.

1. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Played in a rock-a-billy band in HS, and a folk group in college. Piano, guitar, drums (if necessary) and vocals. Even played a bit in an impromptu group when I was in the AF

Attached Files:

2. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Drums and guitar, but now only for my own amusement.

3. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

I agree, in life (or my life anyway) its music and cars,.. or uh.. cars and music.. in no particular order really.. I play (and not all at the same time) piano, guitar, bass, drums and give me a mic i'll back up, got a ESP JH-2 prototype one of firsts, old strat, old tele, old gibson lp special double cutaway cherry, srv strat, played through marshall jcm2000 dsl100, 4x12 cab with 2vintage 30's and 2g12-80 celestion.. mmmm i got wood

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Another lefty here too. Been at it since 1965 and done almost everything from pure country to metal and most everything else in between. I've sold more equipment recently ( thanks to no job ) than I have left but still have a Gibson ES-333, Carvin Holdsworth, Strat and a Fatdog that was built out of NOS stock at Subway Guitars in Berkely. A Marshall 8-10 and a Crate 4-12 bottom get pushed by an old Peavy Deuce head. Also play some keys , bass, and drums. Always been hotrods and music.

5. fomoco31

fomoco31

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  6. I played tenor sax in high school. I graduated to guitars late in life. I suck but really enjoy the noise. :)
    The pic will explain part of where this fits in.

Attached Files:

7. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

You have to post pics!

I've learned to sum up being a lefty, as being a diabetic kid walking into a candy store; SO many absolutely marvelous things, but you cant touch any of it. Or at least thats exactly how I feel walking into a guitar store. Seeing these amazing guitars & basses... only to be ushered over the "lefty section", typically at the least traveled portion of the store. So out of the hundreds of guitars you guys have; you have 3 guitars and 2 basses? all Korean made and priced under $600? wow... fuck me. I find ebay & rondomusic.com are best friends when it comes to finding decent equipment.

I started playing guitar myself when I was 13 (got a Fender Strat for my 13th birthday) but later switched to Bass when I was 15. Been at the thicker strings ever since.

8. bathcollector

bathcollector

And he's not too bad either just quietly

9. LBCD

LBCD

I've been playing the drums for a long time. I was 4 when I got my first kit...I beat the shit out of that kit till there was nothing left of it! I got my first real kit after that and 39 years later I'm still bangin away. I got into building my own shells and restoring older drums to sell and make a few extra bucks. I just picked up a 1959-60 Ludwig 5x14 cob (chrome over brass) snare that is considered the holy grail of snare drums.
    I played with The american wake for 15 years (just retired)....a Long Beach based band built on celtic/folk/punk fusion...we wrote our own songs but now and then we did covers too, here is a cover we did a few years back.
    http://youtu.be/nj7Aj0KJO7w

10. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

So the answer is Yes there are heaps of us on here, I gotta dirty old Kramer from the 80's, signed by Billy Gibbons (sounds twice as good after that).

kramer2.jpg

kramer1.jpg

Scotty.

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

^ a very under-rated instrument, imo. Kramers from that era kick major ass, for super-low money. And the Floyd Rose tremolo is sweeeeeeeet. Nice axe!

12. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I've been playing drums with Herman the German for quite some time now. I play with Lonesome Dave Fisher every once in a while, as well as with Roy Heinrich. I've also done a few gigs with Tod Wulfmeyer in his rockabilly trio, The Wulftones, where he plays guitar and fronts the band. Tod is a great upright bass player and plays with The Modern Don Juans, Marti, & lots of others. I haven't been able to get into the ranks of doing it for a living so, I'm glad I'm able to turn wrenches good enough to pay the bills. Which is better than the old :"what do you call a drummer without a girlfriend/day job?- Homeless!"

Attached Files:

13. I toured professionally (drums) most of my life before settling in Nashville working for the major labels as an engineer. Have our own recording studio now in southern Tn., still love the music, still a lot of talent out there.

Anybody wants to put a couple quarters on for me, I'll trade studio time for sheetmetal work, lol..

14. jchav62

jchav62

I'm a guitarist/vocalist in a New Mexico variety band. We play Spanish, Rock and Country tunes. My main axe is American Strat, and I also have an MIM Nashville Tele... through a 4-10 Hot Rod Deville...

Attached Files:

15. Oh yeah- I'm a lefty too.

When I was little and learning how to play, I had a 'regular' guitar, just upside down. Nobody in the house knew it, so that's how I learned, and now I play righty guitars, just flipped over. Retarded.

16. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Absolutely, the only thing that has been done to this is a new out-jack, neck is straight and the electrics are good. I love the front pick-up on this real nice tone.

Scotty.

17. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

18. fomoco31

fomoco31

I have a lefty Kramer from my shredding days. It's a Neptune, New Jersey built one. Good guitar for speedy licks.

19. weirdrum

weirdrum

My buddy does the same thing, but he's a righty with a flipped lefty guitar :eek:

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In the musical wannabe category, I played a "rhythm" keyboard back in high school, on my Mini-Farfisa and Sears Silvertone. Gads. We played top 40 at the Y on Friday nights in the early days of the Who and Them so, naturally, we called our six man (?) garage band, Us. Gary

21. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

I have 4 guitars in my game room at home on the wall. a cherry red Fender strat , a Glen Burton and a Carlo's Rebelli acoustic , and a old no name acoustic that belonged to my great grandmother. Bad thing is I love guitars can tell you all about them and can't play a damn lick . - Mayor

22. jipp

jipp

thats cool with me.. you are a steward for them.. i think i used the wrong word, care taker haha. :)

80s kramers rock. just like my early 80s deans.. 79/80/80
    i have some from 2004, 2008, and just got a dimebage memorial guitar the other day.. to bad i cut my finger to shit.. it be a while before i can test drive that one.

for shredding i have a 1985 RG550. it such a underrated guitar.. then ibanez came out with the reissue and alll of sudden this guitar is worth a pretty penny.. to freaking funny to me.. collectors odd bunch. :D
    rock on.
    chris.

23. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

I'm a jazz trumpet player with a 1960 Buick Electra, does that count? check out my videos on youtube under Albert Balderas..

24. Does working with rock and roll, rockabilly and jazz groups since 1968 count? (roadie, manager, repair tech, light operator)
    I make custon drumsticks, light systems and electronics for guitars.
    I write songs but do not sing or play an instrument.

25. bob-o

bob-o

Niiiice. Any video's of you putting those bad boys to work?

26. I use Marshall JCM 900 amp for my fender '72 thinline telecaster.

27. Gasser57

Gasser57

I play an Eastwood Airline bass in a 60's garage/fuzz guitar sounding rock band, 45 Spider. Hot Rods and music, gotta love 'em.
    Check us out: www.reverbnation.com/45spider

Attached Files:

• van.jpg
      van.jpg
      File size:
      483.9 KB
      Views:
  28. Played with a couple of groups . Carol and Friends, Granpas Goodtime Gang. Play fiddle now , One I made. Jam at "the 1802 Station" every week.
    Picked guitar since 1957.
    Most fun I ever had was jamming with Mike Dolmetsch, Lilly Martin and Ralph Trautner on a trip to Switzerland. Mai 31 2009. Still pinching myself.
    Don

29. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Thanks for the compliment!
    For the Vids: Not really, what few we have sounded just terrible (live recordings, done with camcorders).
    I should really get my own camcorder so I can take some vids. You can see them in action on Youtube.
    For the F bass, its a "BN5"
    the 7 string is a Conklin GT7.
    There are lots of people that have vids of them playing a wide variety of genres. When I have my own vids I'll post them here for sure.

Their both awesome basses in their own sense.

30. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

That's the way most of us lefties had to get one. I never got a real left handed guitar until 1979 and always had lefties since. The messed up part is that all of my guitars are still strung righty and it screws guys up that try to watch me play and I love that. They just can't figure out how I'm doing what I do. The ES-333 is me forever keeper as I own number 3 off the line on the 1st day of production from 2004 and they quit making them in 2005 and as I understand it, Gibson quit making any lefties in 2007 so if ya got one, hang on to it