Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any good Speedo repair videos on Youtube?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bird man, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Been searching, I have a King Seele out of a Bitchin' 50's car, it works but needs to be cleaned & lubed. I don't want to tear off the needle... It can't be rocket surgery.
    Anyone?

2. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

And part B of my question. The lubes I have available are : Silicone grease, Sewing machine oil, White lithium & Gunslick (which has graphite in it & may be bad around magnetic speedometers?)
    The fine oil should be good for the main bushing but I wonder if the white lithium is ok for the nylon gears.

3. Research what it used lube wise originally.....the usual suspects, you have already mentioned.....just be sure before doing so. In so far as taking it apart.....and popping needles, have at it. I've had great luck with over a dozen speedo or gauge oriented repairs. You are lucky that your era is fairly easy to manage. The plastics of the modern era are the ones that will give you problems. Glued pieces and stepper motors.......bleh ! Have at it, and get into it. No worries for you, I don't think. All straight forward then. Be careful handling your graphics. The screened alpha numerics do not like to be touched by greasy fingers and such. Easy to smear and smudge at times.....almost like wet paint...believe it or not. Better to err to caution. Post today on another thread mentioned a place with good service. Speedoservice.com ran by a Rusty. YouTube is great. You may find something close to help your application. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  4. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

I don't know.......I'm thinking that I would not want to get near a man's broken Speedo! Let alone discussing lubes!!!!

5. I was laughing already....then I saw your profile pic. Could be some thoughtful, playful info in that statement. Touche' brother!

6. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

I couldn't resist.......

7. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Mal, that's funny $hi+
    Here is the status: Things came apart fairly easy though I did not pull the main bushing apart. Oil seeped into things and loosened it up very nicely. No broken parts so it was just a clean & oil. Should be good for another couple of decades? Unless I twist 'er off. Now if parts were needed, it woulda been off to the fixer.
    here is a link I found, there was very little on Ya'lltube.
    https://archive.org/stream/Tm9-1829...rs/Tm9-1829aOrdmaintSpeedos#page/n27/mode/2up
    Enjoy!

kidcampbell71 likes this.