Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any good samaritans in So-Cal anymore?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by five-duece-chevy, Oct 31, 2008.

1. 36rustrod

36rustrod

hey mitch, the stereo shop on the west side of hawthorne at manhattan beach blvd has a glass shop behind it called professionals auto glass. i have talked to them before and they have glass there for a decent price for that year of chevy. i am sure if i sweet talked them and told the what we are doing they might be nice to us.

2. atch

atch

if ya decide to go this route post it up here. the money will appear...

3. Chris...
    Call me at the shop so i can get your new cell number. lets talk to the guy at your glass shop and see what we can do.

thanks.

4. okay...
    one last shot for a donor windshield and then we go buy one retail. a new one goes at around 230 plus shipping.

thanks guys.

5. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Hi Mitch,
    If you have to buy one, I think I can scrape up 20 bucks toward the purchase. Let me know.

6. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Hey Mitch,

I just put in a request for you on the METALMEET Forum ,going out to the Chevy guys for a LH windshield. Referenced this thread for them to reply.

Will be happy to donate for a new one if necessary.

Thanks for your efforts, you make us proud.

Regards,

Tom

7. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too far away to help out with labor but $ sent via Paypal. Use it towards the windshield or anything else that you need. Mitch and everyone else involved with this wonderful project have the good karma thing pegged.

8. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

1949 Pontiac and Oldsmobile should be the same as well.

9. duste01

duste01

Whats the latest scoop?

10. the latest is that according to the glass guy, the front windshield gasket was just plain wrong (he should know... he was doing this when the car was new). so i sent it back for exchange, but they refunded the money instead. so now i hafta call on monday and order another set. i got the glass on order... should see it on monday.

11. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Hey Mitch,

Wouldn't you know it. Look what just popped-up here on another thread:

http://www.norfolkn.com/forum/download/file.php?id=742&mode=view

It's a Pontiac in a Michigan junkyard with the windshield you need !

Thread is:"Michigan Salvage Yard That Time Forgot "

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4077667#post4077667

They are being coy about the location, you'll need to grab them by the throat to get the location out of them, but it may be worth the trouble.
    I'm in the general area, so I may be able to help wih logistics.

You're doing the good work for all of us, just trying to help.

Tom

12. EV34

EV34

amazing guys amazing

13. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

14. so i talked to the folks who supplied the windshield gasket and as it were, their entire stock was mislabeled. they drop shipped me one from the manufacturer. picked up a windshield today. hopefully this is the last time around with the glass.

15. What is left to do and do you guys need any help? I would be willing to come down and help out. If there is any sheetmetal work left let me know.

16. amazing story, I will have to look in my piggy bank & see if I can come up with some help.

17. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

Hey, I know it's been a while, but how's she doing? Last I heard from her was before that mess. Hope she's in good health! I guess she'll be driving the old Chevy before too long!

18. actually, a friend of hers came by to find out if there's anything he could do to "move things along". the owner is back in the hospital and kinda sorta feels like she doesn't have a car anymore. i understand.

when i explained to her friend that this ENTIRE project was funded and labored by complete (to her) strangers, he just kinda looked at me dumbfounded.

"you mean complete strangers?"
    Yep.
    "thats amazing"
    isn't it.

the HAMB RULES!

I have the glass, so after the rubber gets here we put it in and get her the car back.

19. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Please, Please, Please, Take & post pics,When she gets her car back.
    God bless all involved in this project.:cool:

20. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Alteredpilot have you been keeping this car at your shop?!? My hunch is yes. You've been really selfless to give so much to a stranger. I hope the goodwill comes back to you tenfold, man.

21. PoPo

PoPo

what goes around, comes around. and Altered man Im not sure if one person can accept such great things to come in the future! good luck man. Im excited to see the pics of this thing finished and the smile on her face!

22. duste01

duste01

I think we all are!

23. this story just gets better and better post pic of car when it goes home

24. well, at long last, i got the call.
    the glass man is done. off to get a muffler and return it to the owner.

PHEW!

25. Again, I wanted to extend a big hand of gratitude to EVERYONE who participated both physically and financially to getting this project where it is. Without you guys and your resources we could not have pulled it off. Maybe we'll revisit it later depending on what kind of resources we can pool and take the car to the next level.

But for now, its been a real joy watching how a bunch of strangers, united by a common bond, can pull together to see someone's life blessed.

Thanks to Ryan for providing this venue, Thanks to all of those who labored, Thanks to all those who contributed finances, Thanks to all of those who provided encouragement and well wishes. Its really a privilege to know you guys.

As soon as I can reunite the car with the owner, We'll get some pics up.

In the mean time, we cant stop the flow of being a blessing to others, so we have another Good Sam project. this time a '30 coupe. the owner is a VERY deserving individual. He provided all the parts but is physically incapable of providing any labor.
    you can read about it here if you would like to get involved....
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379695

Thanks Again and VIVA The HAMB!

26. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Way to go alteredpilot!

I know you bit off a lot taking this on, thanks a bunch for helping someone out.

If you take the car to the next level and need some more online parts searching help, let me know.

-W

27. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

right on brother, glad to hear.

28. well, She's back.

We're out of money, but we got most of it done.
    due to all of the expenses associated with the glass job, we had to move some funds that were allocated for other things around, so the muffler and an alliance membership will have to wait.

so for now we can re-unite the owner with the car and move on the the next Good Sam Hamb Thrash!

Thanks again to everyone involved.

29. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Way to go alteredpilot!

-W

30. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

So the car is back with her owner? I want pics!!!!!!!