Register now to get rid of these ads!

any cool ideas for a hidden antenna?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steveo3002, Aug 17, 2009.

1. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

ive smooth my antenna hole and dont want any visible antennas on the car , but i do like the radio

wondered if anyone has any cool ideas for hiding it?

would it work if hidden under the fender or dash maybe ?

ive seen the window mount ones ...theyre still not hidden enough lol , but a last resort

2. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

got a friend who builds rods and he said he always straps his stock one up under the dash. never had any issues with that route.

3. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

get a replacement one for an old chevy the one that went on the windshield,, or you can just put it under the dash like mentioned

4. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

so they work through glass then ?

i was also wondering if i could use a length of cable instead of the mast? thinking maybe a long cable = better recpetion? i could coil it around behind the grille or such

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Do you have a headliner? What about a sort of mesh thing above the headliner?

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I had issues with reception in one of my old cars with a newer stereo in the glove box. I had a powered-frenched antenna but it didn't get very good reception, so I disconnected it and bought a cheap telescoping antenna and put it in the trunk...worse. Put it under the front fender, worse. Then I stuffed it between the headliner and the roof, and got pretty good reception. Later I added a splitter and used the frenched antenna, as well as the under-roof antenna together and I was getting clear reception from stations over 100 miles away most of the time.

Not saying it would work the same for you, but just move it around until you get a good signal.

7. I use a regular telescoping Pep Boys unit mounted in the trunk but it runs up through the body. I use a rubber grommet to keep from grounding out the signal. I push it down and all you see is the small chrome cap in the rubber.

8. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

are you saying the mast must not touch the bodywork?

9. Steve,

It would help if you told us the type of car. 1932 Fords mounted them under the running board. Model A Ford guys would insulate the chicken wire in the top from the body and use it as an antenna.

Charlie Stephens

10. Danog

Danog

I,ve put them inside fenders,in the head liner,and under the dash. Just make sure it doesn't move around and if you have other eletrical items that are close put a piece of rubber hose over it.

11. roddinron

roddinron

Someone makes a hidden antenna that can be placed anywhere in the car. Don't know where I saw it advertised, or how well it really works though.

12. roddinron

roddinron

13. Yup
    If it touches the car, The shaft, It will ground the signal to the chassis.

14. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

I've mounted my antenna under the cab of my '55 Chevy pu, and inside the car above the windshield of my '28 Ford delivery and never had an issue with reception. I'm about 60 miles north of LA and can recieve any station that I want. I don't think I did anything special, just mounted them where they wouldn't show and wall-ah, we've got radio!!!

15. I have seen some modern cars with an antenna bonded to the windshield glass.Looks like a thin unnoticeable wire along the top of the glass.

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Just mount it temporarily and see how it acts. The antenna is actually HALF of an antenna, the other half is your car. Thats why grounding the mast kills the reception. Also, surrounding the mast in metal basically ruins reception as well (mounting it underdash, etc....)
    Maybe consider under the rear shelf in the trunk, then it sees thru cardboard and glass. Better than metal.

17. sdluck

sdluck

Napa sell a universal hidden antenna 12 v powered,I have one in the fenderwell of my 29

18. sawzall

sawzall

i use a cb antenna with a magnetic base.. stick it anywhere..

19. Tony

Tony

I've used those hidden ones in the last 4 car's i've built.
    It's a powered unit with a ground wire and i've mounted them to the inside of the roof above the windshield on all 4.There's two way tape on the back side of it.
    One of the car's had a full interior and it was above the headliner so it was completely out of sight.
    They have worked great with zero problems and are pretty inexpensive. I think i paid around 35 for each one.

Tony

20. jonnycola

jonnycola

The under-car antennas only work for FM. If you want to pick up any Am stations, it needs to be out in the open, unless you're right in the city and close to the transmitters.

I thought about isolating a spare tire cover, or a headlight bar, or something like that.