Register now to get rid of these ads!

any 64 chrysler 300 guru's out there??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chadman, May 26, 2011.

1. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

I just picked up a 1964 chrysler 300 k 413 factory 4 speed car, and I have found out it is quite rare! like 82 ever made, its got 33,000 original miles and is stripped down basic car except power windows, do anyone know much about these or what they maybe worth?? thanks

2. Deadbird

Deadbird

I heard those things are just piles. I got a Yamaha I'll trade for it. :D

You like those, right?

3. Squablow

Squablow

Unless it's a convertible I don't think it's one of 83. There was a total of 3,647 300-Ks built in '64. How many with 4 speeds? I'm not sure. But I was able to strip the interior out of one, was a black on black 4 speed car that was sold but the buyer just took the drivetrain and left the rest. Got a factory AM/FM radio I'm going to put in my '60 Plymouth along with bucket seats and some other neat stuff.

I had a '65 300-L, great car that I really liked but the value of letter cars drops off a cliff after '62. There's a few K's for sale on Craigslist right now, pretty reasonable.

I like them, but they don't have big resale. Post some pics, I'd like to see it.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

413 4 speed. that would be fun for my 61 dodge Dart.... until I needed to stop at speed..

5. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

yeah, I looked it up on the 300 club web site and they said in 64 they only made 82 4-speed cars, I was just asking around, its not the coolest looking car, but a 413 4-speed 3.23 posi is pretty freaking cool, I may just drive around and have a sleeper looking car! I will post pics soon!

6. Does your engine have the cross ram?

7. I'd venture to say that sumbitch's worth a slap across the mouth or two.

8. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

no cross ram, wish it did!

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

poke around in Hemmings, see what some asking prices are....stay in touch with the letter car forums. Somebody might make you an offer you can't refuse.

I like all the letter cars....nothing wrong with a 64 - did that one still use the Pont du Musson four-speed? or had they moved onto ND by then?

dj

10. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

I really don't know? I really don't know much about mopars, The car sat in the top of a chrysler dealership until the other day so what I have been told, I got it at an auction in gilman illinois, everybody there told me it was a 3 speed, but I had a feeling it wasn't the the shifter was stuck and all gunked up from sitting so long, the car is in super good shape, there is only one tear in the leather seat, and the underside of the car is rock solid! never had a 300 car, and never had a mopar that wasn't rusted all up!

11. 4tford

4tford

Nice find, and they are only original once so that counts plenty when price is talked about.

12. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

My 68 300 is not a letter car, but is a convertible. I like it and to me that is all that matters. As I have rebuilt it over the years I have found that replacement parts are almost nonexistent, especially non tune up parts etc. So the value has to come from you. The ability to adapt and fabricate will help you keep it roadworthy, but if you are into strictly stock you will spend a lot of money and time keeping it on the road. Have fun!

13. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

its a very original car and so far everything is in great shape, hell its even got the original plug wires that are dated! and there really nice also! Got all the interior cleaned up and found the build sheet, this car is really growing on me, slowly finding out more and more about it! plus the paint is buffing out like new, so I am very happy, just need to find out a little bit more about it and I may hang on to it for a while!

Attached Files:

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

When I was in high school, I worked at the local Dodge dealership at the parts counter. Also did the runing around stuff, picking up parts, droping stuff at the DMV, etc. The Owners wife always got a fully optioned Desoto every two years till Mopar dropped the brand. So her replacement was a 63 300K. Her's of course was an powerflite car but with just about every other option you could get. I used it a couple times to run to the DMV. Lets just say that it was more car than the 17 year old me could resist. Holy crap!!! quick, quiet, handled well by the standards of the day. But the 413 was a bit thirsty, but Sunoco 260 was 35 cents a gallon at the dealership's gas station.

She was into horses, and it was set up to pull a two horse trailer which I guess it did without breaking a sweat.

I think you will enjoy cruising around with it, and enjoy jumping on the loud pedal occasionally as well. Make sure you get the brakes up to snuff.

15. Swifster

Swifster

I'd take it in a heartbeat. I still get stiffies around all Letter 300 cars. Add a 4-speed and ... oh, damn, all over my keyboard???

16. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

its a cool ride, got bad compression on a cylinder so i am going to go throught the motor, getting running good and drive!

17. I just got my new copy of Auto Restorer magazine (June 2011) and the feature car is a '64 Chrysler 300K 2-door HT w/ automatic. May be a good article for you to drool over. Go to autorestorermagazine.com and you might be able to buy a copy. Have subscribed to this rag since the early-mid '90s and like it a lot for the tech info, no slutty-looking hos and no ads! (Yeah, I'm a tech geek)

I have always wanted a '65 300K or a '66 300 2-door HT or convertible since my first car was a hand-me-down '66 Newport sedan with a 383: if it wouldn't have been for a drunk Native American in a '60 Impala that ass-ended my mom in the fall of '69 my first car could've been a '66 New Yorker that had a 413 (or so my dad always thought).

18. dmikulec

dmikulec

Same dash as my 63 Newport... and I've seen guys pay upwards of a grand for one of those "square" steering wheels, evidently they're rare or so I've heard.

19. Mopars used the T-10 (like Ford) until late 63 when the first of the 4 speed "833" came out....it should have the old ball and trunion set up instead of a slip in yoke....by the way....have a factory tach for that consol....just saying....

20. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

I got the factory tach in there! as for the ball and trunion I dunno them well enough to know what you mean!

I'll check out that magazine, thanks man, my dad is a crazy and sometimes drunk native american also, he will get a kick out of that story! hhaha!

21. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

This car has so few luxury options, its like it was ordered for going fast, 413/360hp, fine spline 833 4-speed, 3.23 posi, no outside mirrors, no a/c no power seats, power windows which are lighter than manual windows, no undercoat, basic radio, basic hub caps no trip package, basic 14" white line tires, no tinted glass, not even the windshield, no bumper guards or any of that stuff, big suspension and brakes, factory 3/4 race cam, hense no a/c, power steering and brakes, just an odd luxury car it seems, I also have since met the son of the last owner of the car, he told me everything that I had already found out about the car, and that is the way his dad had gotten it from the original owner who got it at Lodi chrysler plymouth in Chicago, and that it was a special ordered car with this option list, the original owner traded in a 1958 Chrysler 300 for it

22. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

If it were me, that would be a keeper.
    Bad part ,they had weak leaf springs
    Some were i have a book on just 300's,i'll look for it.
    At one time i had 2 white 4-door's, a newport that i drove and a new yorker the wife drove. We worked dif. shifts at the same place.The shift's
    overlaped and sometimes were able to park side by side.What a hoot.
    Hers had the 413

23. RodStRace

RodStRace

This is the net, you can find a bunch of stuff on them.
    Since you are new to Mopar and a friend has a 64 crossram auto, here are a few things: Left side lug nuts are left-hand thread. The ball and trunion sucks. The rear brakes (axle end) suck. Finding parts sucks. Okay, now the answer to these and other problems are out there, just do some research and don't go in with a bad attitude.
    The 63s are the rare expensive ones, the 64s much less so. The 4 speed really helps, but there isn't a huge demand for them (64s). Clean it up, get it safe and enjoy it. If you try to restore it or get involved too much, it can and will bury you.
    Look into another running big block to swap in. You can keep the original engine in a corner and ship it when you sell the car. It will be faster (job and car) and cheaper to get a 440 out of something and drop it in.
    They do grow on you, provided you aren't fighting rush hour idiots. Nice smooth comfort and a good dose of power.

24. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

haha! thanks man, no rush hour around here unless you consider the tractors during planting and harvest! I don't plan on restoring it, cause really it does not need it! I am just going to enjoy it and maybe in a year or two send it down the road to someone!

25. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

Got the old girl running tonight! Very powerful car, have to get radiator boiled out and gas tank cleaned, but man, this car has some serious power for 1964 and a hell of a lope!

26. Hoodlum Rocky

Hoodlum Rocky

My father and i when i was younger, went to NY to go and buy a 64 300 k conv with the 4 speed. it was a awsome car. One weekend when he was going to repaint it driving home, a car blew tru the intersection and nailed it in the front clip hard. The paint in the trunk popped open and started to leak out. It got hit so hard it cracked the trans case also. my dad got kind of messed up-- so with the pain, and the fact he was bummed out. He sold it to the guy that owned the wisconsin dells auto museum. I dont know what happened to the car.

27. Arominus

Arominus

Somebody knew exactly what they were doing, though they were crazy to trade in the 58 for it. Good god, do not sell that car, it was ordered in the spirit of the original c300, for hot nasty speed. Have any more pics?

28. I must be wierd, because I like the 63-64 Chryslers. It doesn't take much to make one look mean, a little torsion bar drop and the right wheel/tire combo is all you need. Sounds like what you have is as close to a factory race car as you could get with that year's 300 - I bet it's going to be a fun one to drive.

29. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

yeah, got it running good the other day, thing sounds cool, I cana't load the pics I have of it, I had the resolution set to high, will take some more pics soon! I am excited to get this thing on the road!

30. pcterm2

pcterm2

without a doubt a keeper.