Register now to get rid of these ads!

antfreze in oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1964reo, Oct 19, 2012.

1. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

i just bought a 292 chevy motor from a guy he told me it ran good it was in a p30 van i got it home last night and i washed the motor tonight i went to drain the oil and antfreze came out only about a cup or so what should i do

2. R Pope

R Pope

Find where it's coming from.
    Maybe just a head gasket, maybe a crack somewhere. Either way, antifreeze is bad in the oil.

3. 61 chevy

61 chevy

was the oil milkey looking, that is bad

4. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

no never ran it just looks green

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on your plans, budget, and the conditiion of the engine. Up to you to decide how far you can or want to go. To make an informed decision, a thorough inspection of the engine is in order to determine what you have.

If resources (money, tools, skills) are extremely limited, re-sell the engine as-is. Then buy a different engine. But this time do a good inspection/compression-test/test-run before you buy.

Or, if you planned on completely rebuilding anyway, get the head and block hot-tanked and magnafluxed before any machining or buying parts.

Or, something in between. Inspect the engine...which requires at least partial disassembly. Maybe replace just bearings, timing-chain, etc...hone the cylinders, new rings, get just the head magnufluxed, valve job, new gaskets, etc.

If you wanna live dangerously, pull the head, replace the head-gasket and oil, test-run it, and check the oil. But you're taking a chance on wasting time, money, and effort...something I know a fair amount about...lol.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  6. Going on where you are it sounds like it could be a freeze crack, i have worked on many low miles junk yard motors only to find antifreeze in the pan. Check all the freeze plugs to see if any have moved. Good luck. JW

7. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

i was told that the 292 heads will crack if ran hot but you never know when you by a used engine unless you can drive them

8. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

Pull the head. Have it cleaned and magnafluxed. Should be less than $80. Check the frost plugs for push-out. It's easy to do and then you'll know.

9. Cantstop

Cantstop

I agree, unfortunately it had to come from somewhere. If you decide to pull the head do some research on what burnt or leaky head gaskets look like.

10. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

i have to wate untell saturday to do anything to see what he wants to do with it he sold me a good running motor this is not

11. they are famous for cracked heads,usually crack between valve seats or across the combustion chamber

12. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

dont they have the same head as a 250 chevy

13. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

well i pull the head off and pulled all the valve out clean it up with a wire brush cant see any cracks but going to have it check but took a stright edge and the head is warped when i was takeing the head off i found 2 head bolts loser then the other ones
    i talk to the guy i bought it from he might help me out but who knows

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Ran good when parked." Famous last words.

15. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Dump it. Buy a REAL 292

16. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

shure not a ford they are junk in my words

17. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

got my head back today had no cracks but he had to cut .038 to make it stright now it shoud be good to go

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You should bring it back for a refund.

19. Good news, but have you done anything with the 292 head yet? :D

Just kidding, put it back together since you're gone this far and see what happens.

Bob

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How does the gasket look? Can you see where it was blown or leaking?

If the engine is out you might check the bearings. Antifreeze can eat up bearings if the motor ran with antifreeze in the oil. If the leak started when it was stored and never ran that way OK but it doesn't cost much to check, while the engine is out.

21. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

ea im going to check the bearings could no see were it was leaking at im putting a camshaft in it going to by a complete gasket set for it the guy said the valves and valve seat look super good