Register now to get rid of these ads!

Answering ? about my avatar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studeynut, Mar 6, 2013.

1. studeynut

studeynut

since there is interest in my avatar I'll answer them all at once. I acquired 4 Kaiser-Frazers for free or they were going to the crusher. All they made in those years (47-50) was 4 drs, rather ugly. So I played around with some pictures, scissors and tape, to see what it would look like shortened, I liked the possibilities. so during 2 weeks of down time between customers I started cutting, fitting, swearing, welding, etc. Then set it on an 79-80 Olds Cutlass chassis. Still have alot of welding to do, will french the front lights, add round front signals, 59 Cad tail lights, Kaiser bumpers tucked in closer, 56 Chrysler grill bars(2). Hopefully I can get back to it soon. Bill

Attached Files:

2. studeynut

studeynut

Forgot to mention the chop, 1 1/2" at the back of the side windows 2" at the front, 4" at the windshield( the roof was too fat, plus the windows line up better)

3. hfracing53

hfracing53

WOW , Nice work . I think you should of been a designer for Kaiser . Already looks alot better then the original . Them doors look way heavy . Can the hinges handle them ?

4. studeynut

studeynut

Thanks. Remember Kaiser Steel build battle ships during WW II, then built cars, good steel. Not a single hinge on all 4 cars was worn out, no slop at all. I think they are strong enough.

5. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Pretty cool, I am curious as to what it would have looked like with the doors a little shorter and do it as a 5 window??? I had a Kaiser like that years ago and agree that they are an ugly duck, and I must say that you have done a hell of a job of cutting the ugly out of it!! I hope you do get back to it soon, I would love to see that one done, do you have a build thread on it? You should!!! Jim

6. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Agreed - great job on the transformation. Subscribed.

7. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Sweet, looks good. I like the long doors.

Understand youre probably not looking for opinions, and probably dont care for what anyone says anyhow, but it still looks a little fat in the rear of the roof to my eye. Kind of like a knot on the back of the head. Maybe slope it inward more at the top, somewhat matching the angle of the door. Or bring the whole trunk/roof line forward, extending the top of the trunk area by a couple inches.

Either way, a very cool project you have going, and nice work. Hope to see it done.

8. [​IMG]

Ah, I get it now.....You got skills, fer' sure.

I was wonderin' what the heck it was when I saw earlier; cool.

9. FWIW, Kaiser did not build battleships. They built merchant ships for the Maritime Service.:)

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I agree, looks very awkward. Like the hunchback of Notre Dame!

11. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

FWIW, I clearly remember hanging out the rear window of one of those on my way to kindergarten (Sept. 1953), puking my guts out down the outside door skin. Ironically, that car was a "puke green" color. DD

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I like it! Interesting build.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think I agree too.

I did a quick edit of the picture, very crudely done I know :) I used Paint, a photoshopper I'm not, but you can get the idea.

Basically a lumpectomy if you like giving the roof a much more pleasing line.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  14. studeynut

studeynut

I was told the made ships during the war so I assumed it was battle ships, my mistake.

15. studeynut

studeynut

I agree, you should have seen it before I pancaked the roof, leaned the window a little, the bottom of the glass and the chrome trim are parallel and close so couldn't do much and didn't want to cut the rear curved glass. Tried lowering the rear roof more but then alignment problems arose. The rear is 3" lower than stock Tried to keep it simple(haha)and cheap.

16. Well I guess that's one way to polish a turd.
    Subscribed. I want to see where this goes.

17. studeynut

studeynut

And I still have one more 4dr turd to get rid of or cut down.

18. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

When I was a little kid..the first car I remember my Dad had..48 Kaiser..

Really ugly and rusted..
    It was new..